Montessori Schools

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm sorry, but the particular St. Mary's public school I had the misfortune of dealing with SUCKED! And before any St. Mary's county teacher gets offended, it wasn't the teachers who sucked so much as the absolute beaucracy that has a stranglehold on ALL Maryland public schools.

My kids are now in a Montessori School which is FANTASTIC! I was leary of Montessori schools initially. I had the perception that they were touchy, feely, free for all schools. It's quite the opposite actually, and I'm highly impressed.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Really! I would love to put my kids in Montessori School. We have on right down the street. I heard that is was a really great school! A lot of hands on activities, instead of reading all the time! I like that. Hope it works out! :cheesy:

watercolor

yeah yeah
I use to be a teacher at a montessorri school. I highly recommend it to anyone. Children tend to learn faster in an montessori enviorment.

Christy

b*tch rocket
bchbns, You would be correct! :wink:

I believe there are several Montessori Schools in Waldorf, which would be on your way to work.

You know what's really awesome about the school, is that they actually listen to the parents (since we are the ones around them day after day) on what you feel they need in their education. Rather than blowing off my kids dyslexia (and trying to label it as ADHD), they are fascinated by it, and are taking it upon themselves to learn as much about it as they can.

My youngest just started kindergarten and just through the summer program already knows most of her States, and all the world's continents.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
The only thing to be wary of is social development. The only Montessori school here in St. Mary's is off of Willows Road, and the classes are so small that the kids don't get the social experience of public school students. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because as a parent, you can then select social activities, (ie. scouting, sports, dance, etc) and in the process, avoid some of the negative social aspects of public school.

Christy

b*tch rocket
The only thing to be wary of is social development. The only Montessori school here in St. Mary's is off of Willows Road, and the classes are so small that the kids don't get the social experience of public school students. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because as a parent, you can then select social activities, (ie. scouting, sports, dance, etc) and in the process, avoid some of the negative social aspects of public school.

I've heard that argument so many times, especially when it comes to homeschooling. I'm sorry but "social development" is the biggest load of hogwash that is thrown out there in defense of public schools. Public schools are full of a bunch of Social Degenerates, where the most popular kids tend to be the most degenerate. I've watched the brightest girls turn into ditzy morons because it simply isn't "cool" to be smart.

I prefer my kids focus to be on school while they are in school. My daughter has tons of kids in her class, however my son has a total of three, and he prefers it that way, and so do I.

I think anyone who's met my son can vouche for me when I say that he is very socially developed. I think being in the school he's in has helped him "blossom" more, since he has a whole lot more self confidence and pride in himself.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Then again, the social degenerates get their "social" education, for the most part, from home and neighborhoods. I don't think it's the schools fault that these kids are jerks.

I totally agree, I just don't want to have to work extra hard to have to rid my kid of the degenerate behavior he picks up in public schools. Been there done that. I want a friggin award! :wink:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Christy

Public schools are full of a bunch of Social Degenerates, where the most popular kids tend to be the most degenerate. I've watched the brightest girls turn into ditzy morons because it simply isn't "cool" to be smart.

Thankfully the kids who are home schooled or have the smaller classes will never have to learn to deal with those people in the "real world" :rolleyes:

Learning and dealing with it at an earlier age makes it less of a "culture shock" when they go off to college or into the work force. We don't live in fantasy land.

SmallTown

Football season!
But since we somehow got on the "trashing public schools" thing, here is my 2 cents..

Anyone hear about the NEA ruling stating that when schools teach the events of 9/11, they are not allowed to talk about who was responsible? They say it would cast a bad light on arabs and that just isn't right.. WTF?? History is History, you can't change it.. Maybe we should consult with the terrorists organizations to ensure that the next attack will be by some other ethnic group, that way it will even out the numbers a little. Sheesh..

Christy

b*tch rocket
Thankfully the kids who are home schooled or have the smaller classes will never have to learn to deal with those people in the "real world"

I beg to differ with that statement. Public School is so far from the "real world" it's laughable. It becomes so more and more every passing year.

You don't know how many kids I know who've done quite well in public schools unable to function in the "real world". It's quite a rude awakening.

I want my kids to be able function with their peers as well as adults, and especially be able to communicate professionally, verbally and in writing.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I think raising children is like building & owning a home ... you start them off with good manners and morals at home before school to get a strong, sturdy foundation established. The experiences/challenges of school, peer pressure and making choices will define how stable that foundation was to begin with, and how well you (the parent's) maintain that foundation.

Oh you wait bch! :wink:, Peer pressure more times than not wins out. You would not believe some of the assanine stunts my kid pulled in school to fit in with his degenerate peers! :eek:

You have to look at it on the kids level. You see the "popular" kids getting lots of attention from their classmates by doing stupid human tricks that to a kid is "cool". They also get away with it in a big way in public school because teachers and principals have ZERO power when it comes to disciplining a kid.

SmallTown

Football season!

I beg to differ with that statement. Public School is so far from the "real world" it's laughable. It becomes so more and more every passing year.

I was refering to mere interaction with people different from yourself. It is amazing the things I learned by being around such different people.. Some people would like to shield their kids from certain people which is completely understandable. But if you bring up your kids the right way, when it comes to choosing their path in life they will have a pretty good chance of getting it "right". God gave us ALL free will to think for ourselves, not just adults. Seems like the ones who talk about wanting kids to feel free to think for themsleves are the ones that are prohibiting this behavior the most.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by BchBns

:lmao: that crap drives me nuts ... how hard is it to just learn to speak properly from the get-go? :rolleyes: of course, in listening to some of the parents, it's easy to see why the kids talk that way, too ... :ohwell:

Can you say "the acorn falls not far from the tree?"

Christy

b*tch rocket
Seems like the ones who talk about wanting kids to feel free to think for themsleves are the ones that are prohibiting this behavior the most.

Oh puh lease! :lmao: I take it you must be referring to me, hiding my child's head in the sand from the degenerates of the world! :wink: I also believe you are insinuating that I am hiding my kids from those of different ethnic or religious backgrounds. You couldn't be farther away from what my kids are exposed to. My kids lives are filled with "diversity", we just don't call it that. We don't talk about "diversity" in our house. That essentially puts a spotlight and over emphasis on what my kids view as just people. I even let my kids sometimes play with kids who's parents are Democrats! :eek: :wink:

watercolor

yeah yeah
You know I have actually thought of doing this much, when I get my teaching degree (which is still 2 years) But I would like to have my own motessori school one day.

Problem is that all of your guys kids will be older. I mean I am having it up to the age of 6th grade. I dont know if I should go up to the 8th grade or not.

SmallTown

Football season!
These types of discussions are always interesting because of course people do what they feel is the right thing to do, so anything against that is bad. Rarely do people do things and think what they are doing is bad (Catholic priests excluded). Some people believe in the public school systems and what the results can be.. The ones who home school obviously think that that is the best way or otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. Same goes for people whose kids are in private schools or motessori schools. They all have their own reasons of why they feel their way is the right way.

The apparantly evil word "diversity" is something we should all be proud of. We are different in one way or another, and we should take pride in that. Taking the time to understand the different cultures, not singling them out is all i'm talking about.. I've known people in private christian schools who graduated and did not even know that not everyone woke up on December 25 and celebrated Christmas. This type of understanding of diversity is wonderful.. What is bad is when people start saying things like "Larry Bird, he was a great white basketball player".. No. he was a great basketball player, color had nothing to do with it.. or "Tiger woods is a great black golfer".. No.. he is a great golfer..
I think the latter examples are the reason people are jumping on the PC bandwagon when it comes to diversity. They see the "evil side" to diversity and blanket the entire notion as being wrong. This country has tried to become so politically correct it is just sickening.

As far as having your kids play with democrats.. That is just plain wrong and you should be put into jail for that! :biggrin:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I can only think of one purpose for a kid going to school, and that is for him to get a great education - the very best he can get. What the heck does diversity have anything to do with private or home schooling? I'm not following your point. School is for someone to get an education. There's not a chance in the world that any kid of mine would not be in the very best school available. I'm not religious, and I'm not Catholic, but if a Catholic or Christian private school is the best, he goes there. I don't see 'diversity' as bad, just irrelevant. You don't choose your friends or jobs based on diversity, you choose jobs for money, opportunity and job satisfaction, and you choose your friends by how they treat you. Beyond that it doesn't matter.

SxyPrincess

You see the "popular" kids getting lots of attention from their classmates by doing stupid human tricks that to a kid is "cool".

This comment makes me think of Johnny Knoxville and Bam Margera. :lol: