Cat the pees/marks outside litter box

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Cat that pees/marks outside litter box

There is a cat that came from the shelter that has a peeing problem. Many steps (yes everything known to man has been tried already) have been taken over a several year period to find a solution to her problem. The problem continues. Short of putting her in a sheet vinyl floored room (no joints or grout), what can one do?

I normally would recommend the cat become an outside cat, but apparently she has no fear of objects moving toward her, and she'd surely get run over by a car. She's sweet and loving and a lap cat at that, so it's hard for the owner to decide what to do.

My thought is this cat may have to be put down.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I normally would recommend the cat become an outside cat, but apparently she has no fear of objects moving toward her, and she'd surely get run over by a car.

I used to think that about Kiki but she's apparently smarter than she acts. Cats are skitty by nature and react to anything abnormal by running away. Where Apollo would chase after a school bus and get flattened, the cats hear/feel it coming and get out of the road.

I had a cat years ago who peed all over. I tossed him outside and wouldn't let him back in. After a couple weeks, we did let him back in the house for some reason and he never peed outside the litterbox again. So...don't know...apparently he figured it out?

Anyway, if it were me I'd throw the cat outside. Having it put down seems premature to me.

Roman

I hope that you don't have to resort to euthanasia. I was organizing all of my Pet's Records Monday, and came across a Sheet from the Vet that gave suggestions on this very same subject. Wouldn't you know...I threw it away. My wacko Persian Cat was peeing out of the box, and I was scared I'd have to do something drastic. I am a Clean-Freak, and can accept a mistake here, and there. I took her to the Vet, her urine was clean, so that wasn't the issue. At the time, I had a covered Litter Box, so I removed the Cover, I also moved the Box away from the corner. I used 2 inches of Litter, verses 3 to 4, thinking it's because her legs are short, and she might not like feeling like she was in Quick Sand. If I let her fur grow out, I swear..it is 4, to 5 inches long, and she hates long fur. I was a little late on getting her Groomed, and the fur was grown out to about 3.5 inches. I took her to the Groomer, and told her this might be the last time she did Chloe' because of her peeing problem. After her Grooming, she has never missed the Box. So I can tell you that I will never let her fur grow out again. My point is, that maybe it could be something simple. Maybe her cat doesn't like where her box is! It could be that the fragrance of the litter upsets her, they do have fragerance free Excuse the spelling.

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I used to think that about Kiki but she's apparently smarter than she acts. Cats are skitty by nature and react to anything abnormal by running away. Where Apollo would chase after a school bus and get flattened, the cats hear/feel it coming and get out of the road.

I had a cat years ago who peed all over. I tossed him outside and wouldn't let him back in. After a couple weeks, we did let him back in the house for some reason and he never peed outside the litterbox again. So...don't know...apparently he figured it out?

Anyway, if it were me I'd throw the cat outside. Having it put down seems premature to me.

They have apparently tried any and everything they could find on the internet and in different kitty forums also. I don't know what to tell them. I have had cats that if you didn't step over them, they would get stepped on .. so I know they type that doesn't move, well lol.

The puzzling part is the cat apparently uses the litter box to poop, just not always to pee.

Moved_south

Maybe placing the box on something that is less pleasant to be (and pee) on. Piece of plywood maybe? My male cat will pee outside the box if I have something soft near it (rug, laundry, etc). He prefers that to the box. Keeps me on top of any laundry laying around tho! The other suggestions sound good too. Hope they don't have to resort to putting it down. I would opt for tossing it outside and take its chances than making that decision- but thats just me....

DQ2B

There is a cat that came from the shelter that has a peeing problem. Many steps (yes everything known to man has been tried already) have been taken over a several year period to find a solution to her problem. The problem continues. Short of putting her in a sheet vinyl floored room (no joints or grout), what can one do?

I normally would recommend the cat become an outside cat, but apparently she has no fear of objects moving toward her, and she'd surely get run over by a car. She's sweet and loving and a lap cat at that, so it's hard for the owner to decide what to do.

My thought is this cat may have to be put down.

This is a very common sign of urinary tract problem. Has the cat been checked? Seems likely since this has been going onthis long but FWIW.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
This is a very common sign of urinary tract problem. Has the cat been checked? Seems likely since this has been going onthis long but FWIW.

Yup she's been on several rounds of different antibiotics so far with no change.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
here's an odd suggestion ...

Someone suggested I get the cat, and put the cat in the pen with the chickens since they don't want to put the cat outside. Now that's an odd suggestion, but it could work if the chickens can learn to accept a cat?

My only experience with a cat and chickens is that my former feral cat used to try to get close to the chickens when I let them out to roam, but the chickens would face the cat, and go after the cat. The cat ran away LOL.

Severa

Common sense ain't common
I recently went through this with my fat furry ball of fluff, Apollo (picture was taken about a year or so ago but it gives you an idea of size) He would pee in his litter box, but poop in this one corner of our living room. His litter box used to be right next to his food/water bowls and I read somewhere that many cats have issues when their litter box is too close to their food (which makes sense cause Apollo has been known to clear a room when he poops) I got him a bigger litter box and moved it to the corner of the living room where the most mess was happening (after cleaning it really well of course) and so far *knock on wood* that seems to be helping.

Attachments

• apollolaundry.jpg
    apollolaundry.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 90

belvak

Happy Camper
Yup she's been on several rounds of different antibiotics so far with no change.

You said they tried everything. Did their vet check for stones in the bladder? Our kitty went through a phase like this and it turned out she had a stone in her bladder. They removed the stone, and no problems since then.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You said they tried everything. Did their vet check for stones in the bladder? Our kitty went through a phase like this and it turned out she had a stone in her bladder. They removed the stone, and no problems since then.

I will ask to see if they checked for stones, but I recall hearing something about stones, so I bet they went that route also.

It sounds to me like her peeing isn't random, and she does most of her peeing in the litter box. She appears to target material on the floor like laundry (usually dirty laundry but sometimes it is clean laundry that is folded and stacked on the ottoman). She will pee on a throw rug and not the wall-to-wall carpet, or pee on the throw rug in the bathroom (tile floor).

ang21

When my cat wasn't using the litterbox, it turned out that she had diabetes. Once it was under control with insulin she began using the box again.

Is she drinking more water than usual?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Could always making that cat go for it's 10th life - that should solve the problem, or the owner can forever hold their piece (of mind).

Moved_south

I will ask to see if they checked for stones, but I recall hearing something about stones, so I bet they went that route also.

It sounds to me like her peeing isn't random, and she does most of her peeing in the litter box. She appears to target material on the floor like laundry (usually dirty laundry but sometimes it is clean laundry that is folded and stacked on the ottoman). She will pee on a throw rug and not the wall-to-wall carpet, or pee on the throw rug in the bathroom (tile floor).[/QUOTE

One of my two cats (not sure which- have never caught them in the act) do the same thing. Throws on the back of the sofa, laundry in a basket, laundry or clothing on the floor, some throw rugs. I just keep everything off the floor and if I have to leave laundry in a basket for any reason, I put another basket on top to keep em out. I have just adjusted what I leave laying around, and we all get along fine. Would like to have a throw on the back of the sofa when it gets chilly though. good thing I love the da#n furballs.:ohwell:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

It sounds to me like her peeing isn't random, and she does most of her peeing in the litter box. She appears to target material on the floor like laundry (usually dirty laundry but sometimes it is clean laundry that is folded and stacked on the ottoman). She will pee on a throw rug and not the wall-to-wall carpet, or pee on the throw rug in the bathroom (tile floor).[/QUOTE

One of my two cats (not sure which- have never caught them in the act) do the same thing. Throws on the back of the sofa, laundry in a basket, laundry or clothing on the floor, some throw rugs. I just keep everything off the floor and if I have to leave laundry in a basket for any reason, I put another basket on top to keep em out. I have just adjusted what I leave laying around, and we all get along fine. Would like to have a throw on the back of the sofa when it gets chilly though. good thing I love the da#n furballs.:ohwell:

Yeah I know, I have tolerated some bad behavior myself in the past. I think once we realize the quirks of our pets (if they have any) and we adjust our life/surroundings to suit them, things go well.