$1,400 to reseed an acre

steppinthrax

I have an acre of land in calvert county (with a house), somewhat hilly. The company will kill everything (roundup), slit seed and fertilize (both back and front. I don't know if they are spreading hay? Is this a good price?

nobody really

I need a nap
I have an acre of land in calvert county (with a house), somewhat hilly. The company will kill everything (roundup), slit seed and fertilize (both back and front. I don't know if they are spreading hay? Is this a good price?

that's almost 47 cents a sq foot. Back in 00 i believe we paid .26 a sq foot. sounds reasonable i guess.

pelers

Check for complaints against the company on BBB first! I've encountered at least one company around here that took my money and never showed.

Is your yard full of weeds now? I don't understand the need to roundup the entire yard.

Just did mine, well, a section in front. Half crabgrass and other stuff mixed in with the grass. Seeded and put a little top soil ove that. We'll see how it goes.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'll never have a nice lawn, no matter what steps I take. I have neighbors who actively cultivate weeds.

drivingdaisy

Husband worked for a landscaping company for 7 years and we always used round up before doing grass work (sod or seed). Its the best way to make sure there are no weeds and hopefully won't be any weeds for awhile. But that's really only if you care about the look and "quality." Lots of people don't mind some weeds in their yard, especially if they have a lot of yard. I don't think we would have done much with our grass/yard if it wasn't for his available resources. He's not here right now or else I'd ask him how much his company would have charged.

Chris0nllyn

Seems like they could just break up the top layer of soil with a bobcat instead of spreading so many chemicals in your yard??

Just did mine, well, a section in front. Half crabgrass and other stuff mixed in with the grass. Seeded and put a little top soil ove that. We'll see how it goes.

I've used the grass seed with weed killer in it and it worked great. It's not baseball field quality, but hey, it's green!

After applying that, do some aerating, then seed. Spring time it should look great.

Now's the time to seed!

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie

I don't know if that's a good price but you'd spend less if you rented a bobcat with a tiller/seeder attachment for a day. We rented ours from Jim's Air in PF last fall and the area we did looks amazing. We're planning to rent it again in October and till/seed the other side of the yard. Just a thought, although it'd certainly be nice to just have it done!

Chris0nllyn

I don't know if that's a good price but you'd spend less if you rented a bobcat with a tiller/seeder attachment for a day. We rented ours from Jim's Air in PF last fall and the area we did looks amazing. We're planning to rent it again in October and till/seed the other side of the yard. Just a thought, although it'd certainly be nice to just have it done!

FYI Jim's Air isn't in business anymore. Another rental company is going in their place, just not sure when.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Seems like they could just break up the top layer of soil with a bobcat instead of spreading so many chemicals in your yard??

NOT a good idea..

You'll kill the grass, and realease additional dormant weed seeds.. (learned that lesson the hard way)...

If your land is fairly flat, and you don't need to plow/till don't..

Kill off the grass and weeds and reseed..

Thinkin $1400 is a little steep, but if it were me I'd hit it with Round-Up twice.. Hit it once, let everything die off, then 2 or 3 weeks later hit it again. Round up in a 40 gallon sprayer should be enough for an acre.

Rent a seed drill and reseed..
(Carroll's has one, but you have to rent a tractor too)

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
FYI Jim's Air isn't in business anymore. Another rental company is going in their place, just not sure when.

They're still there, they changed ownership and I think it's called something else but the phone number is still the same. I called last week to ask what their deal was. They have new bobcats and kabodos (sp?) for rent. I was happy because we have a huge unfinished yard project we need to finish before winter.

Chris0nllyn

They're still there, they changed ownership and I think it's called something else but the phone number is still the same. I called last week to ask what their deal was. They have new bobcats and kabodos (sp?) for rent. I was happy because we have a huge unfinished yard project we need to finish before winter.

Gotcha. I thought Jim's left completely, and another rental place came in with new(er) equipment.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Gotcha. I thought Jim's left completely, and another rental place came in with new(er) equipment.

You're right. It's now called Jim's Tool & Party Rental or something like that. I think it's now owned by the same people who own the stores in Deale and Dunkirk. And the guy I spoke with had told me that they have new equipment so that's good.

The rental price is in line with what Jim's Air used to charge but they upped the delivery/pick up fee to a ridiculous price. We live 4 miles from there and they want to charge us $150 for delivery. That's the same price as the bobcat rental! I'd rather rent their trailer and drive it here/there myself for $40. But I'm not so sure my Explorer will be able to tow it. But it'll still be a lot cheaper than $1400.