Picky eater

acommondisaster

My 10 year old terrier has recently become a very picky eater. A few years back, she stopped eating kibble and I started her on soft food, which she's eaten no problem. She's always gobbled it down as soon as it's in the dish. Recently, she started turning her nose up at any kind of canned dog food that I give her for more than a couple days in a row. She wont eat kibble, either. We've been through every brand of dog food at the pet store. She's been to the vet and the vet said she's fine.

Any suggestions? Switching dog foods every few days has had its own set of problems (read: terrible gas and some diaherria), so it's not a solution.

Could I cook human food for her (ie some rice, chicken and carrots or something) and if I do, what does she need to have in her diet?

RidgeChick

My 10 year old terrier has recently become a very picky eater. A few years back, she stopped eating kibble and I started her on soft food, which she's eaten no problem. She's always gobbled it down as soon as it's in the dish. Recently, she started turning her nose up at any kind of canned dog food that I give her for more than a couple days in a row. She wont eat kibble, either. We've been through every brand of dog food at the pet store. She's been to the vet and the vet said she's fine.

Any suggestions? Switching dog foods every few days has had its own set of problems (read: terrible gas and some diaherria), so it's not a solution.

Could I cook human food for her (ie some rice, chicken and carrots or something) and if I do, what does she need to have in her diet?

Once I had a dog that needed vet care, he was in the hospital and when Ibrought him home, I was advised to boil ground beef or chicken and mix it with plain steamed white rice for him. And, a good friend who was a vet tech for years, told me a good veggie for dogs is steamed green beans. They use most of the nutrients in the beans.

RPMDAD

Had an older dog , who got the same way, used to buy stew beef, and boil it up and then cut into small slices. Not sure how big your dog is, ours was a 20 - 25 pound cocker spaniel. Hope all works out ok with your terrier. Maybe FF will have some other ideas or ICIT.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Cat food (dry or soft) is supposed to be terrible for dogs. It probably is but I would try that. Dogs seem to love the smell the cat food has. :shrug:

Also, a mixture of rice, boiled chicken and peas.

Get her some vitamin supplements (like a treat) at a pet store.

She needs to eat.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dogs are not anorexic and will eat when hungry. I have never heard of a dog or a cat starving themselves to death. As our pets age, they become less active and their calorie requirements adjust accordingly. While dogs will eat more than they need in the form of goodies and people food, I've never heard of them truly eating less than they need.

Someone smarter than me will come along and either say I'm full of it or agree, but if it were me I'd choose a food and stick with it. The dog will eat as he needs to.

MarieB

Dogs are not anorexic and will eat when hungry. I have never heard of a dog or a cat starving themselves to death. As our pets age, they become less active and their calorie requirements adjust accordingly. While dogs will eat more than they need in the form of goodies and people food, I've never heard of them truly eating less than they need.

Someone smarter than me will come along and either say I'm full of it or agree, but if it were me I'd choose a food and stick with it. The dog will eat as he needs to.

I've heard the same.

Regarding rice and chicken, I've been advised to feed that when they are sick, etc. It would not have all of the nutrients that they need.

Try feeding your usual kibble and drizzle fish oil over the food. They usually love fish oil, and it's good for them too. You can get the capsules and poke a hole in them.

I've heard that the dry food is better for several reasons, but everyone has a different view on this. Older dogs do sometimes eat less, and I know my dog ate less when it was hot/humid

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

no... they can be. But there are usually underlying issues with that. Some that are not found that easy by a regular vet.

with cats... cats that are not eating cant go more than a few days without eating or it becomes a life threating issue.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I've heard the same.

Regarding rice and chicken, I've been advised to feed that when they are sick, etc. It would not have all of the nutrients that they need.

Try feeding your usual kibble and drizzle fish oil over the food. They usually love fish oil, and it's good for them too. You can get the capsules and poke a hole in them.

I've heard that the dry food is better for several reasons, but everyone has a different view on this. Older dogs do sometimes eat less, and I know my dog ate less when it was hot/humid

myth.... can food is just as good...if not better due to water content. more water helps the liver and kidneys work better.... and also helps pets lose weight easier.

Independence

Have you tried heating up the wet food? The more it stinks the more appealing it may be. Also, you could try a pepcid an hour before eating in case it's a sensitive stomach???

frequentflier

happy to be living
myth.... can food is just as good...if not better due to water content. more water helps the liver and kidneys work better.... and also helps pets lose weight easier.

:yeahthat:

In addition, I am always suspect when an animal quits eating and suggest a dental examination. Did the vet examine the dog's mouth? A bad or infected tooth can make it difficult or an unpleasant experience for a dog to eat. Just a thought.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

In addition, I am always suspect when an animal quits eating and suggest a dental examination. Did the vet examine the dog's mouth? A bad or infected tooth can make it difficult or an unpleasant experience for a dog to eat. Just a thought.

very true!!!!

acommondisaster

Yes, she had a dental exam. Still not eating. I've given up trying different brands of dog food, because she'll eat each one for a day or two, I get encouraged, and then she stops. And there's all the digestive distress that goes along with changing her food constantly. I'm currently feeding her Buffalo Blue or whatever it's called and she's eating maybe half a cup a day; if that, if I stand over her and demand she eat. (She's about 22 lbs)

She has given up some of her favorite foods (scrambled eggs, actually any kind of eggs) and the only thing she eats consistently is dog treats. I'm limiting them to a couple a day because I want her to eat her regular food.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, she had a dental exam. Still not eating. I've given up trying different brands of dog food, because she'll eat each one for a day or two, I get encouraged, and then she stops. And there's all the digestive distress that goes along with changing her food constantly. I'm currently feeding her Buffalo Blue or whatever it's called and she's eating maybe half a cup a day; if that, if I stand over her and demand she eat. (She's about 22 lbs)

She has given up some of her favorite foods (scrambled eggs, actually any kind of eggs) and the only thing she eats consistently is dog treats. I'm limiting them to a couple a day because I want her to eat her regular food.

What does the vet say? How long will she actually go without eating? Is she sluggish or acting like she doesn't feel good? Is she drinking? Is she pooping?

A dog not wanting to eat scrambled eggs or any other favorite human food would concern me more than her not wanting her dog chow. My second thought, which may be as FOS as my first thought, is that she ate something she shouldn't have and has a blockage. But you'd think a vet would find that.

homedepot20

Our Female Yorkie "Joee" will only eat Holly Farms Grilled or Baked Chicken pieces . Can dog food she walks away from . Will eat dry dog food Kibbles & Bits puppy size or Science Diet .

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I have a little girl that has always been a picky eater. So I feel your pain. She loves the homemade food, but I still give her kibble too. There are lots of websites out there that will help you plan out your dogs meals. I pick a day that I have nothing else to do and just prep a whole bunch of meals, portion and freeze them. But you need to do a lot a research before just making a bunch of food. Dogs can't eat everything we can. I also add some stinky supplements as well.

acommondisaster

What does the vet say? How long will she actually go without eating? Is she sluggish or acting like she doesn't feel good? Is she drinking? Is she pooping?

A dog not wanting to eat scrambled eggs or any other favorite human food would concern me more than her not wanting her dog chow. My second thought, which may be as FOS as my first thought, is that she ate something she shouldn't have and has a blockage. But you'd think a vet would find that.

She's her normal bossy self, other than she went from being a dog who attacked her food dish to one who sniffs it and walks away. She's not completely ignoring people food, ie spaghetti noodles, meat, crackers. It's just weird how she's become so picky about even people food. She's drinking, pooping (though to a lesser degree, but she's eating less) barking, doing all her usual stuff.

Vet said she seemed healthy, her teeth were fine, but that sometimes older dogs get picky and to change her dog food. But as of yet (and it's been a month) I cant find anything she'll eat for more than a couple of days, and switching her food that often leads to ummm gastric distress.

Ugh...this is frustrating.

Roman

She's her normal bossy self, other than she went from being a dog who attacked her food dish to one who sniffs it and walks away. She's not completely ignoring people food, ie spaghetti noodles, meat, crackers. It's just weird how she's become so picky about even people food. She's drinking, pooping (though to a lesser degree, but she's eating less) barking, doing all her usual stuff.

Vet said she seemed healthy, her teeth were fine, but that sometimes older dogs get picky and to change her dog food. But as of yet (and it's been a month) I cant find anything she'll eat for more than a couple of days, and switching her food that often leads to ummm gastric distress.

Ugh...this is frustrating.
How is the dog doing now? I hope there is good news.

acommondisaster

Thank you for asking. We're on day 3 of Merrick dog food. Small meals for now until I'm sure she's going to eat this stuff, she's going back to the bowl after she's finished eating and licking it. She's like a different dog, with that sassy terrier step back in her walk - I think the "dogs eat when they're hungry" approach took a toll on her, and I'll never try that again. We went 3 days where she ate about half a cup of food all told.

Not sure if a call to the vet is in order, they did blood work and it all came back normal, but I'm wondering if maybe some more extensive bloodwork is available. I still think of her as a puppy; it's hard to imagine she's actually 10.

acommondisaster

Well, she's not eating again. Nothing out of a can, anyway, no kibble. The Merrick worked for awhile, but she's been on/off eating for the past couple of weeks. Took her back to the vet again, more extensive blood work and a full set of xrays. Nothing but elevated pancreatic enzymes. Vet said give her half a pepcid twice a day but she's still not eating much. Had some turkey and mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, nothing yesterday except a couple of treats and nothing today except for a treat, which she threw up. She took a few bites of dog food off of a spoon yesterday, but today she refuses it that way. We've pretty much decided that if she doesn't eat all day, we'll give her a small meal of "people food" - more turkey (no skin) and mashed potatoes. She's always been a voracious eater, so I don't think she's just waiting until we give her people food - she's never been picky - in fact, she's always eaten so fast that we figured she never tasted anything she ate up until this all started. I'm stumped.

Anyone had any experience with elevated pancreatic enzymes? Anyone found a dog food that worked on their dog with a sensitive system? I'm so worried about her.

Moved_south

Well, she's not eating again. Nothing out of a can, anyway, no kibble. The Merrick worked for awhile, but she's been on/off eating for the past couple of weeks. Took her back to the vet again, more extensive blood work and a full set of xrays. Nothing but elevated pancreatic enzymes. Vet said give her half a pepcid twice a day but she's still not eating much. Had some turkey and mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, nothing yesterday except a couple of treats and nothing today except for a treat, which she threw up. She took a few bites of dog food off of a spoon yesterday, but today she refuses it that way. We've pretty much decided that if she doesn't eat all day, we'll give her a small meal of "people food" - more turkey (no skin) and mashed potatoes. She's always been a voracious eater, so I don't think she's just waiting until we give her people food - she's never been picky - in fact, she's always eaten so fast that we figured she never tasted anything she ate up until this all started. I'm stumped.

Anyone had any experience with elevated pancreatic enzymes? Anyone found a dog food that worked on their dog with a sensitive system? I'm so worried about her.

I wish I had some answers for you- but it looks like you are doing all you can to figure out what is going on. How well do you like your vet? Maybe a second opinion?

Elevated enzymes makes me think pancreatitis- which if the vet thought it was serious enough he would have kept her, kept her hydrated and given her nothing by mouth for a couple of days. Hope she is eating agian soon and I am so sorry that she is worrying you like this..... Keep us updated.:poorbaby: