Pot Bellied Pigs

Christy

b*tch rocket
Has anyone ever owned a pot bellied pig?  I'm getting one and would love any advice or stories.

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
You know they get REALLY big, right? (I'm sure you do.) I wanted one so bad when I was in high school, until I found out how big they get.

Christy

b*tch rocket
We met the piggy parents and they weren't overly large.  Smaller than the beagle we have now (who is much larger than a normal beagle, more like the size of a Bassett Hound!).  Even if she does get huge, that's okay.  I'm just worried about it eating the carpet and chewing holes in the wall!  I've heard that happens sometimes.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Christy,

A good name for your pig would be "Pork Chops" because if you get tired of him that is what you could make him.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Ken, Steve has already suggested that name as well as Bacon.  My father recommended Rosie (as in O'Donnell).  I think I will call her Lola.  I want to think happy thoughts when I see my pig, not breakfast :yum: or something I'd like to beat with a baseball bat! :spank:  :)  

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I like the name Lola - it's cute! If you get a boy, you HAVE to name him Wilbur. It is required. :p

Here's a link you may have seen already, but if not, enjoy!http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/potbelliedpigs/

Christy

b*tch rocket
It's a girl.  I'd thought of naming her Charlotte, but Charlotte was the spider, so it would be kinda retarded to name her Charlotte, not to mention my Aunt's name is Charlotte and I wouldn't want to deal with the fallout over that! :twitch:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
seasquirt on 3:57 pm on Mar. 27, 2002[br] If you get a boy, you HAVE to name him Wilbur.
Wilbur?  How about Arnold Ziffel? (Green Acres)

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Arnold Ziffel! ROLTMOA!!! My dad used to watch that show all the time, and when my brother and I were little, he used to sneak up behind us and yell, "ZIFFLE!" and start tickling us! I guess in Dadspeak, a ziffle = a tickle.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Larry, if you can catch her, you can cook her! :lmao:  She's about as easy to catch as the Ebola virus in Southern MD! :roflmao:

LindaK

I've got five potbellied pigs, ages 2-6 years old.  I'd like to be in touch with other pbp owners in the So. Md. area.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Linda and appyday, did you get your pigs "fixed"?  I've got two females and I'm not sure if I should get them fixed or not.  Any advice?

They are also becoming exclusively outdoor pigs. :(  They like it much better outside.  I was hoping for indoor/outdoor piggies.  Maybe this winter they'll change their minds!

LindaK

My two boys have been neutered -- an unneutered boar doesn't make a good pet.   They've only got one thing on their mind, and they have an "aroma" that won't quit!  Having them neutered eliminates their mindset and odor as well.  And they make much better pets.

The girls -- two of my girls are spayed, and one is not.  The unspayed female cycles every 21 days, and we deal with alot of piggy PMS and nesting behavior.   Having girls unspayed also constitutes some medical problems.  We are finding alot of uterine tumors in unspayed potbellied females as they get older, say at 5-6 years.   I have my unspayed girl checked by the vet periodically for signs of tumors.  So far so good.   The one I'm talking about was a rescue and too big to spay safely.  I'd recommend spaying without question.  

Re inside/outside pigs -- Two of mine are outside, three are inside.  The outside ones have a heated piggy house for the winter.   Being outside is good for them, fresh air, etc.  But if they are kept outside they have to be in a place that is dry and windfree, with plenty of straw, blankets, etc. in order to keep warm.   Maybe you could keep them outside in the day, and bring them in at night?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Linda,

They've decided to camp out in our shed.   I've tried to coax them inside to sleep and it's a total no go.  Oh well, just so long as they are happy.  

What type of feed do you use?  I'm really interested in any and all pig stories.  Good and Bad!  My pigs haven't been bad (yet!), not nearly as much work as I expected.  I just want to make sure I'm keeping them healthy.  Daisy has got some dry skin, was wondering if I should "grease her up" with some moisterizer.  I also read somewhere about sticking olive oil in their food.  There's so much out there on what to feed them, what not to feed them.  So far I've found my pigs go nuts over dog food and grapes.  When they see me coming with a couple pieces of dog food they go crazy!  I've read they love cheerios, spinach, and lettuce.  Daisy and Rosie won't touch the stuff.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I've been feeding them the pig feed from Southern States also, they love it, but I read somewhere that they should be fed special "pot bellied pig food".  

I'm still trying to get Rosie to warm up to me.  I got her three weeks after I got Daisy.  She's let me pet her maybe three times, and when it dawns on her that I'm petting her she freaks out and runs like hell!  Daisy is all for being petted.  Rosie just kinda looks at her like she's insane for letting some crazy woman talk stupid to her and scratch her belly.  

Who did you go to when you got your pigs fixed?  

LindaK

Re food -- I get my potbellied pig food from PA Heartland in Pa., comes UPS.  See http://www.paheartland.com   The food is specially formulated for pbp, high in protein, low in fat.   If you don't want to order from them, go to either Southern States or Snells in Prince Frederick and get the Mazuri potbellied pig food.   Its pretty much the same.   Don't get the regular swine/pig food, because that's formulated to put the weight on.    

I feed my guys 1/2 cup in the morning, 1/2 cup in the evening, and give them a bedtime snack of oatmeal with either bran or a few cut up banana slices in it.  I wet the food with warm water, not soupy, but enough to wet it all.  They love it that way, and I think its easier to digest.    Its easy to overfeed, because the 1/2 cup doesn't look like much, but -- believe me -- its enough.   If you add the water and let it sit, you'll see the food swell up.  Does the same thing in piggy's stomach.  And it fills them up.

You are right -- they love grapes!   Mine also like those carrots that come in a bag, the little ones.  Just the right size for a treat!

PA Heartland also sells harnesses, leads, and a whole host of pbp products, including apple and peanut butter treats.  

Another good source for piggy stuff is http://www.pigstuff.com/herd/
They are in New Jersey and sell all things pig!   They run a potbellied pig sanctuary in New Jersey and the proceeds support the sanctuary.   When you go to that site, in the upper left hand corner is a box.  Click on it and select Message Board.   Its a place where you can get good advice and exchange information with other piggy owners.

Oil in the food -- I add about a teaspoon of canola oil in each feeding (not at bedtime, though).   Its good for their skin, and lubricates their system.  Olive  oil works as well, though its a little more expensive.

Re spaying and neutering -- I took Precious (my first pig) to Pennsylvania to get spayed because I could NOT find a vet in this are who had experience in spaying a potbellied pig.  I spent two days on the phone trying to find someone locally (as well as in the Washington metro area) that had experience at this.   One knucklehead said he'd never done it before, but was sure it wouldn't be a problem.  Just bring her on in..... I don't think so!!   Its NOT like spaying a dog or cat, its more complicated like a historectomy (sp?).   Since then I found a wonderful vet on the eastern shore -- Dr. Mike Forney, Chestertown Animal Hospital.  He's well know nationally for his expertise with pbp.   He saved the life of a friend's pig a couple of years ago, when all other vets had given up on her.   It takes about 90 minutes from Calvert County to get there, but I found its well worth the trip to go to someone who knows what he's doing.   If somebody going to cut into my babies, they darned well better have some expertise!  (and about 100 good references! LOL) I took Freddie and Flossie there for spay/neuter.  Franklin had already been neutered by the breeder when I got him.   I'd recommend him highly.

BTW, there are two annual events for pbp's and owners.   The first is the annual Potbellied Pig Congress held in Pennsylvania.  There are workshops on health, feeding, training, etc.  Presentations by vets too.   It was held two weeks ago, and will be held again next April.  Franklin went with me (he's two years old), and stayed in the hotel room with me.   Lots of folks brought their pigs, and its a real hoot.   We stayed at the Comfort Inn at Pottstown, Pa.   Conference was Friday night, Saturday and Sunday morning.  Let me know if either of you want to get on the mailing list for info on next year's conference.

The second event is Pigstock (ok, so we don't take ourselves too seriously!).  Its held in the fall, October, I think.   Last year it was at Pigtailz Junction in N.J. (the sanctuary referenced above).  I think they have about 100 pbp's.  Really something to see.   This year, its closer....will be held in Culpeper, Virginia (about 3 hours away)at Mini-Pigs Sanctuary. See:  http://www.minipigs.org/  I've visited there, and its quite a place.  These events are open to anyone who has an interest in pbp's.  

Well, I got pretty windy here, and this was longer than I planned.  Hope it answers some of the questions.

Belly rubs and snooters to your babies!

LindaK

A couple of us were thinking about starting a potbellied pig club in Southern Maryland....any interest in this?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Thought y'all might enjoy this story:

Done in by the potbellied pig

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. — When a suspected drug dealer on the lam tried to hide out in a small wooden house, the occupant squealed on him. Agents with the 18th Judicial District East Drug Task Force were checking on possible illegal drug activity at a residence when a man identified as Richard Barajas, 40, of Houston, spotted the officers and fled. Agents Todd Sanders and Cory DeArmon pursued the suspect through several back yards before losing him. That's when DeArmon noticed a pig causing a commotion — Barajas was hiding in his house. Barajas was charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver after officers found three pounds of marijuana.