Base clsosing?

boomer

Have lived in this area for a few years. Each year or so there are 'certainties' that the base will close in 'a few months.' I've learned to ignore these rumors...till now. The latest one to cross my ears is that IF Obama is put back in office, part of his budget cuts will be to close PAX. Can this be? Is it possible that an entire section of a state would be sacrificed?

Non military worrier.

jrt_ms1995

Have lived in this area for a few years. Each year or so there are 'certainties' that the base will close in 'a few months.' I've learned to ignore these rumors...till now. The latest one to cross my ears is that IF Obama is put back in office, part of his budget cuts will be to close PAX. Can this be? Is it possible that an entire section of a state would be sacrificed?

Non military worrier.

As he and his advocates frequently and repeatedly will advise anyone who will (as well as those who may wish not to) listen, Steny Hoyer is the only reason Pax River hasn't been closed in each and every one of the years since he first took office.

:sarcasm: for those to impaired to realize this straight away.

Forget the rumors; they likely originate from Steny's office so that once more when they don't come to pass (regardless of who takes the presidency) he can trumpet his BS claim to have "saved" Pax River.

ginwoman

As he and his advocates frequently and repeatedly will advise anyone who will (as well as those who may wish not to) listen, Steny Hoyer is the only reason Pax River hasn't been closed in each and every one of the years since he first took office.

:sarcasm: for those to impaired to realize this straight away.

Forget the rumors; they likely originate from Steny's office so that once more when they don't come to pass (regardless of who takes the presidency) he can trumpet his BS claim to have "saved" Pax River.

I suppose Steny is feeling pretty confident that he will be re-elected....yet again.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Unlikely, very, that any military facility in the DC immediate area will close. How else would the region sustain such a bright, robust economic outlook for the politicians?

Down here, we constantly worry about Macdill AFB. Home to most Special Operations commands, refueling wing, and literally 100's of thousands of active and retired military (most retired) personnel that utilize the base and its facilities.

MacDill Air Force Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The host unit at MacDill AFB is the 6th Air Mobility Wing (6 AMW), assigned to the Air Mobility Command's 21st Expeditionary Mobility Task Force. In addition to operating KC-135R Stratotanker and C-37A Gulfstream aircraft, the 6 AMW provides day-to-day mission support to more than 3,000 personnel in its immediate command, along with more than 50 Mission Partners comprising over 12,000 additional personnel, to include the United States Central Command (USCENTCOM), United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), and a detachment of United States Africa Command (AFRICOM). It is a force capable of rapidly projecting air refueling power anywhere in the world. MacDill also bases the Aircraft Operations Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, whose NOAA Corps flies "Hurricane Hunter" missions in WP-3D Orion and Gulfstream IV aircraft."

Seven of nation’s 10 most affluent counties are in Washington region - The Washington Post

DC is essentially immune. Just have to keep all those wealthiest counties in the area, if not in the US, happy. Not so much anywhere else.

Last edited:

CrashTest

So if PAX closes, what happens? They take all the claimants and commands and scatter them all over the country? Having them scattered all over the country was why PAX was formed to in the first place. It was to get them all in one place.

Bavarian

So if PAX closes, what happens? They take all the claimants and commands and scatter them all over the country? Having them scattered all over the country was why PAX was formed to in the first place. It was to get them all in one place.

Patuxent River NAS was built in 1943 as the home of the Naval Air Test Center. It was only recently that all these others came from Warminster, Trenton and worst of all NAVAIR. They ruined the place. Wish they had never come. And Hoyer thinks we like him for that.

VOTE O'DONNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Yep, and don't know. Except for political votes. Call your representative.

CrashTest

Patuxent River NAS was built in 1943 as the home of the Naval Air Test Center. It was only recently that all these others came from Warminster, Trenton and worst of all NAVAIR. They ruined the place. Wish they had never come. And Hoyer thinks we like him for that.

In the PAX library there's a book about the history of Naval Air Stations. It talks about the formation of PAX in the 40's and how it was done to consolidate all the testing into one location. The book talks about how all the testing was scattered around prior to PAX and how it was hurting the war effort.

thurley42

HY;FR

You could probably move?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I'd be more worried about the defense contractor pink slips being held until January.

Worse than that - until just before, or after Nov 6th.....

The horror! the horror! Just thinking of those that cannot think until after Nov 6th - the horror!!!!!!

Just think, all youse guys and gals employed by DOC contractors, before Nov 6th - of your future depending on your votes......

Obama? Or the other half of the world?

Obama and his sure don't care....

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
having NAVAIR and Testing so close together WORKS for the warfighters - that's the point. I don't think the base has ruined anything, but Md relocating section 8 and welfare from Baltimore, PG & monty counties has.

officeguy

He is the president, not an emperor. The only threat to PAX or any other base is the next round of BRAC in 2015.

calikid

Just my two cents, but my father (navy pilot graduated USNA 79) explained to me that NAS Pax river will most likely be one of the LAST bases to close, due to its special property of having a unique location. He explained that test pilots love Pax because the sea level air strip is almost exactly similar to that of a aircraft carrier, and gives pilots the same feeling. I'm not gaurenteeing anything that's just what I heard.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
PAX is the premier test facility for all branches of military. Believe it or not stuff done on PAX has influence on the Air Force and Army as well as the obvious Navy/Marines. They also have USNTPS (naval test pilot school), VIP helo programs, multiple UAV programs, JSF, V22, VQ4, IBST and not to mention a coast guard station and PAX SAR. PAX is very influential in the technological development of US military equipment and aircraft. I think that Hoyer has a small part in keeping PAX open. Even Panetta had great remarks about PAX.