Circus - No fun for animals

The Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus is coming to Leonardtown  April 29th and 30th.  Please help to stop this from happening!

The Cole Bros. Circus has consistantly failed to meet minimum federal standards for the care of animals used in exhibition as established in the Animal Welfare Act.  :angry:    There are more than twenty documented cases of neglect and cruelty against the circus...  Many communities have banned live animal acts, and St. Mary's County should be one of them.  

Animals do not naturally ride bicycles, stand on their heads, balance on balls, or jump through rings of fire....  to force them to do these cruel acts the "trainers" use various tools such as whips, electric shock, muzzles and bullhooks, (to name a few).  

Please take a stand against the circus!!!  

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Just out of curiosity, how does Ringling Bros. stand up in the cruelty area?  They've been advertising on TV lately about their great advances and how well they treat their animals.  Is this just bs?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Cariblue, that's what I thought.  Doesn't PETA and other organizations keep a pretty close watch on these circuses?  I'd like more information as well.

Sorry about the lack of info in the first post...   More information about the circuses can be found at www.circuses.com.

Not trying to point the finger at one of them.  I don't agree with any of them.  But Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. is coming to the St. Mary's Fairgrounds in Leonardtown.  So, that is the one I brought up.  I have a problem with animals being treated like that.  

PETA does keep an eye out for maltreatment in circuses.  The link I posted earlier is a PETA link.  I am a member of PETA, which is why posting this information is so important.  

Without local involvement in protesting live animal acts, they will continue to get permits and show up in our neighborhoods.  

If you are want to help, contact John Richards at jrichards@olg.com.  He is the president of the Fair Association who issued the permit for the circus to visit.  The more people that contact the Fair Association and voice their opinions the better.  

(Edited by animal lover at 1:05 pm on April 22, 2002)

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
PETA sucks!!  Don't give them money, they don't do anything with it!!!  Trust me I used to do there accounting for them.  I know where the money from the mail donations go!!  And it is not the animals.  People like you got the circus kicked out of Charles County.  If we don't eat meat, then what are we to eat?  I forgot BEER, not milk!!  Like milking a cow hurts them!!!

Missi - I'm sorry that you feel that way.  PETA is a fantastic organization... I don't need to give you the statistics about what they do and why they do it, as you used to work for them.  But, I don't think that there is a better organization for animals around.  With PETA's involvement, standards of living for thousands of animals have been improved, more consumers are now aware of what they buy and what kind of impact it has on animals.  I wouldn't class that as "suck"ing.

And Cariblue, yes, the permit has been issued, but there is nothing from stopping it from being revoked.  Also, how many people would turn away from the gates, if they knew how the animals learned those tricks?  Yes, marching around with signs does work.  If one person realizes the torment that the circus animals live each day, then we've done somthing.  Most people don't know what is going on.  Either because it's easier not to or because they have never been exposed to the truth.   Also, if you want to see where PETA's money goes, you can check their website at www.PETA.org.  They make their records pretty accessable.

Oh, Missi,  I almost forgot.    

First, no one told you not to eat meat.  PETA wants the treatment of the animals that you eat to be better.  Why make their lives and deaths miserable?  It may shock you to know, that animals feel pain and fear the same way you do.  Nevermind the fact that the environment and your body would be better without it.

Second, while the act of milking may not hurt the cow, the hormones that are put in the cow in order to produce more milk aren't great, and the fact that the cows are kept pregnant in order to continue producing that milk isn't very nice, and the fact that the calves that are produced by the dairy cows are either used for dairy cows themselves or sold for VEAL isn't especially nice either.  

Anyway, I take it from your e-mail that you are not interested in helping with boycotting the circus?

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
 I uesd to work for an accounting firm and we do accounting for non-profit org.  And I used to be in charge of PETA and other org. Well if only knew that the money went to paying off the employe's and the rent on there many office's, including the one in Canada, and making there mail drops.  They send out 4 renewls, and I think about 10 Appeals(when you are a member, and they try to get more money) and lots of prospecting(getting new members).  The new one now is putting nickles on the doc's.  They send out a million at a time, plus a nickle on each one, plus the cost of doc. and the evelope, and the postage, plus the postage to mail it back(but you do have an option to put a stamp on it).  Now add that up?  They do 3- 1million drops a year.  Now do you see where the money goes.  And if "animal lover" is a member, she can say all the stupid appeals they have done.  ]

I found them!!!

www.consumerfreedom.com

www.activistcash.com

www.milksucks.com

I respect people's rights not to eat animals, but PETA takes it tooo far.  They even slam the bible!!!

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Animal Lover,

Do you eat meat?  Do you drink milk?

And you must not know PETA to well.  Because they don't want you to eat meat or cheese or drink milk.  When they would come out to our office, they would be wearing leather shoes, something they protest about offten.  Please go on to PETA's website and see how extream they are!!!!

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Oh yeah!!  One more sight!!

www.jesusveg.com

They say that jesus was a vegetarian.  Yeah right!!!  This is what I mean by slamming the bible!!!

I'm not knocking you animal lover for your believe's, but PETA goes tooo far!!!  I'm sorry!

Well thank you Missi for your oh so bitter reply.   Again, this post was not about PETA, or your old job...   It was about the animal cruelty that goes on in the circus and the attempts being made by people who care to stop it.

If you would like to continue your belittlement of PETA, could you maybe take it over to "In my opinion".  I'll be more than happy to join you there if you wish to continue this discussion.

Cariblue, thank you for your honesty.  As far as I am concerned, even a little help would be very much appreciated.  As far as being extreme, I think you misunderstood what I said.  I didn't say that everyone should stop eating meat.  I said that the treatment of the animals BEFORE it becomes your meat needs to be improved.  But regardless, extreme or not.  Thank you.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Last word!!!  How about stopping the abuse of children first, before animals. I agree that they are not being treated in the best way, but they have improved alot!!!

resepectfully,
missi

Obviously I am way slow on replying...

No I don't eat meat.  After watching videos of what goes on in slaughterhouses, I don't intend to ever again.  And to be completely honest, I have never felt better in my life.

I have visited PETA's website on many occasions.  I don't think that they are extreme at all.  I don't agree with everything that they stand for, but I do agree with most of it.  Regardless, though, whatever PETA stands for or doesn't stand for or where it spends the money it receives, is beside the point.   The POINT is still the mistreatment of animals in the circus...

Now are you gonna make that phone call or what?  :cheesy:  

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not a fan of PETA - typically they're a bunch of nonsensical zealots.  But I'm against cruelty to animals as well and circuses make me sad.  And I agree that treatment of food animals needs improvement.  I guess it's like anything in that if you see the process, you'd run screaming.  I do like a good steak and my leather coat but I didn't have to see the animal being killed for it.  With the circus, you actually see the animals being whipped and threatened - takes the joy out of it for me.  "Go Lions!  Eat that trainer!"

But I'd be curious how mistreated the animals actually are - it makes sense to me that they are quite expensive and therefore would be treated well to protect the investment.  Certainly circus animals have a greater life expectancy that the same animal in the wild.  Anybody have info?

Animal Lover sounds more reasonable than the usual PETAs we get in here.  Missi described them dead-on.

My signature is a belief that I hold personally.  It also happens to be a quote from PETA.   Not trying to take your hamburgers... just asking you to take a second look at them.  

Hello?  Anyone remember the circus??  :cheesy:

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Welcome to the bb.  We always get off topic!!!  Get used to it!!  Sorry!

I agree that the circus isn't the best place for animals, but look at all the animals that are not there too. I'm not for animal cruelty, but the world has to go on.  You can't change everything!!  Sorry! :(

I hear that a lot.  That I can't change everything.  It's not going to stop me from trying though.  I can think of many times in history that people went up against immeasurable odds only to find in the end, they did change things.  Even though no one thought they could.

I think I can.  I'm glad everyone is taking the time to read my posts.  It means that my message is getting out there.  I'm not asking you to change your lives.  I'm asking you to help to change the life of something else.    If anyone is interested in helping, please check my profile and e-mail me for details.

Thanks.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Well animal lover, as much as I feel that PETA is comprised of a bunch of granola munching freaks, :twitch: I do admire your drive to make a difference.  :clap:

I personally won't be going to the circus in Leonardtown, and neither will my kids, so there you go.  Score Point 1 for your cause.    :yay: