? for reptile people

frequentflier

happy to be living
My knowledge of reptiles is zip. Almost daily, I have someone come in my main store and ask for reptile food. My staff is not inclined to scoop live crickets or meal worms out of a bin...
If freeze dried meal worms were available, would you feed them to your reptile? If no- why not? One of my sales reps told me they would suffice and have a longer shelf life than the live ones.

TNRabbit

What kind of reptiles are we talking about? Most folks I know who actually give a crap about their reptiles feed them live food.

Freeze dried are fine-from a nutritional aspect, but not sure how much you'd be able to sell versus live.

frequentflier

happy to be living
What kind of reptiles are we talking about? Most folks I know who actually give a crap about their reptiles feed them live food.

Freeze dried are fine-from a nutritional aspect, but not sure how much you'd be able to sell versus live.

As I stated, I know nothing about reptiles. We will start asking more questions when people come in.
We are also considering carrying bird supplies.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I had two lizards and they wanted to eat moving crickets and meal worms. If the crickets or meal worms died they wouldn't touch them.

Freeze dried is different since the rot doesn't happen but I never tried it with them.

So much for lunch today. :dead:

Radiant1

Soul Probe

:yeahthat: It's kind of like the difference between fresh vegetables and canned. In addition, it's more akin to their natural habitat when they eat live food.

SoMDGirl42

I don't know much about reptiles either, so I can't help you there, but I do have a question for you.

I have been buying my dog food there and they are keeping track of how many bags I buy for my free bag. The day before the hurricane, I went to go get a bag so I'd be stocked up just in case. The store was closed. I had to get it from another retailer. If I bring the receipt, do I still get credit for that bag even though I bought it elsewhere? It wasn't my fault the hurricane came through. :mad:

I also bought some other supplies and the girl forgot to put it on my index card for my discount too. Double whammy. :bawl:

frequentflier

happy to be living
I don't know much about reptiles either, so I can't help you there, but I do have a question for you.

I have been buying my dog food there and they are keeping track of how many bags I buy for my free bag. The day before the hurricane, I went to go get a bag so I'd be stocked up just in case. The store was closed. I had to get it from another retailer. If I bring the receipt, do I still get credit for that bag even though I bought it elsewhere? It wasn't my fault the hurricane came through. :mad:

I also bought some other supplies and the girl forgot to put it on my index card for my discount too. Double whammy. :bawl:

The Callaway store has always been closed on Sundays. We were open at the Solomons store all day Sunday before the hurricane. In fact, I stayed open later than usual and did not close until after 8 PM.

If the cashier forgot to put it on your card, why didn't you ask her to?

Why don't you pm me including what food it is you are feeding. It is not our normal practice to give credit for food that was not bought at our stores. If it is Innova; which you would need to keep track of the upcs and send in the the manufacturer, the offer is not supposed to be good at the big box stores however no one would really know the difference.

Last edited:

Roman

Having been a Lizard Person in the past, my Iguanas prefered fresh food. There is a nice healthy pelleted form of a well-balanced diet made by either ZooMed, or by Tetrareptomin. My Iguanas ate fresh Veggies, and Fruit along with Yogurt, Pizza, and even Peanutbutter Sandwiches. I only kept the Man-Made Foods in there just in case I was in a hurry to get to work. Geckos, Bearded Dragons, and other reptiles in this category prefer live. The moving insect gets their attention. :EDIT: I forgot to add that my Iguanas LOVED Dry Dog Food, and would be at the Dog Bowl with the Dog, eating it. I'll bring you a picture of Molly & Honey sharing Dog Food.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
If the reptile has been eating live up to this point, there is a good chance that switching to freeze dried or frozen will not work.
It is more likely that you can go the other way.

stockgirl

Stocki

Would any of the grocery stores do this for your free gallon of milk?

bcp

In My Opinion

Not your fault the hurricane came through at all, however its not like you didnt hear the news that it would come through for the entire week leading up to it, and its not like you couldnt see that the bag was getting low.

Whenever a storm like this is forcast, along with my beer and other items that I might have trouble getting, I make sure I have plenty of food for all the animals in the house.

SoMDGirl42

The Callaway store has always been closed on Sundays. We were open at the Solomons store all day Sunday before the hurricane. In fact, I stayed open later than usual and did not close until after 8 PM.

If the cashier forgot to put it on your card, why didn't you ask her to?

Why don't you pm me including what food it is you are feeding. It is not our normal practice to give credit for food that was not bought at our stores. If it is Innova; which you would need to keep track of the upcs and send in the the manufacturer, the offer is not supposed to be good at the big box stores however no one would really know the difference.

It was my fault for forgetting to ask her to put it on the card, not her fault at all. We were just talking about harnesses and different collars and toys and all the extras, and we both forgot.

The food is not the Innova. It's the Earthborn.

SoMDGirl42

Not your fault the hurricane came through at all, however its not like you didnt hear the news that it would come through for the entire week leading up to it, and its not like you couldnt see that the bag was getting low.

Whenever a storm like this is forcast, along with my beer and other items that I might have trouble getting, I make sure I have plenty of food for all the animals in the house.

and that's exactly what I was doing, making sure I had plenty in case the electric was out for a an extended period of time where the stores might not be open. I was preparing. I had enough food for a week, but wanted to make sure I had enough for more than that. Why are you being nasty? JFC, it's not like I waited until after the storm and ran out of food and couldn't get any. I was PREPARING for the storm.

Most days I like you, but that last comment I feel was unneccessary and nasty. I believe you owe me an apology that I will never receive.

I prefer to use Peppers for my doggie needs. I do believe FF knows this. I've been going there for quite awhile.

SoMDGirl42

Would any of the grocery stores do this for your free gallon of milk?

I don't know, I don't receive free milk from the store unlike other forum members do.

And I don't believe FF pays for the $55 dollar free bag of food either, I *believe* it is a promotion that the food supplier has to get people to buy their 5, 10 20 bags of food or what ever their promotion is.

Guess I opened that can of worms for the reptiles FF.

FF,
Would you prefer I take my business to one of the larger chains? I don't want to inconvience you or your employees and piss anyone else off. They carry the food. I thought I was helping your store. Damn. :dead:

stockgirl

Stocki
I don't know, I don't receive free milk from the store unlike other forum members do.

And I don't believe FF pays for the $55 dollar free bag of food either, I *believe* it is a promotion that the food supplier has to get people to buy their 5, 10 20 bags of food or what ever their promotion is.

Guess I opened that can of worms for the reptiles FF.

FF,
Would you prefer I take my business to one of the larger chains? I don't want to inconvience you or your employees and piss anyone else off. They carry the food. I thought I was helping your store. Damn. :dead:

Alot of the local grocery stores have a buy 10 and get the 11th free type of deal with milk. That was what I was referring to. It is not FF's fault that you waited until a day that she was closed to pick up your dog food. :shrug:

SoMDGirl42

Alot of the local grocery stores have a buy 10 and get the 11th free type of deal with milk. That was what I was referring to. It is not FF's fault that you waited until a day that she was closed to pick up your dog food. :shrug:

I don't buy that much milk. Didn't know anything about it :shrug:

I never said it was anyones fault. Jesus. I decided I wanted extra food incase the electric was out. I tried to plan ahead. I went before the storm. Thought I was doing the right thing. Had I known we would only get a bunch of rain and some wind, I'd have waited until the next week.

Holy shiat batman. Next time I'll run out the minute they forcast a snow flake and stock up on pet supplies.

Anyone know the hours of the new pet store in Leonardtown?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I've got another reptile question, is there any such thing as a vegetatian snake or are they all carnivores? not because it matters to anything, just being curious.

stockgirl

Stocki
Back to the OP.

FF,
My lizards did not even like the mealworms until they were completely thawed out. They only like moving prey. Even when they were moving, they didn't rush towards them. The prefer crickets. I'm odd but I love watching them eat. Watching them stalk the crickets is quite interesting. Crickets really are stupid. If I had 3 lizards licking their chops staring at me I'd STFU and act dead. Not crickets. Those dumbasses chirped right up until they were in the lizard's mouth.