"I can't believe my family left Africa and came to this country" Teresa Heinz Kerry

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
It didn't take long for the rigors of the campaign trail to sour first lady-in-waiting Teresa Heinz, who fumed yesterday that she "can't believe" she moved to America and married an American politician.

Buh bye! :howdy:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Before everyone gets their panties in an uproar, here's the full interview:

http://nypost.com/gossip/cindy.htm

I'm not a Kerry defender (I don't like either Bush or Kerry). But I do believe that NewsMax missed the obviously light-hearted tone of the interview. Cindy Adams and other gossip columnists tend to write in a giddy, playful-bantering style. My guess is that Mrs. Ketchup was just reflecting on the oddness and strangeness of being in a presidential campaign:

...And I can't believe we're embarked on this journey."

This journey, does it ever scare her?

"Yes. What people don't know is that I am basically shy. I never wanted to do this. It all seems so bizarre."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If she thinks the campaigning is bad, what's she going to think of being First Lady?

She and Kerry both are a couple of lightweights. Thin-skinned, snooty, fragile, out of touch with reality. I take back my fear that Kerry will beat Bush - I can't imagine why anyone would want this pair of hot-house lilies in the White House.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Good point, Vrai.

Here's a question--why should the First Lady have to be in the public eye at all, whether or not she wants to be?

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
If she thinks the campaigning is bad, what's she going to think of being First Lady?

She and Kerry both are a couple of lightweights. Thin-skinned, snooty, fragile, out of touch with reality. I take back my fear that Kerry will beat Bush - I can't imagine why anyone would want this pair of hot-house lilies in the White House.

Clinton got a second term, so who knows what can happen.

Toxick

Splat
Does this mean she's African-American?

If they win, we can finally say we've had at least an African American First lady?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
Clinton got a second term, so who knows what can happen.
Bill and Hillary were NOT lightweights by any stretch of the imagination. People can say what they will about the Clintons but they were the ultimate political team. Hillary could be a little thin-skinned but, frankly, the way the tabloids took her apart about her choice of hairstyle and dress, she had a right to get a mite cranky.

Tonio, the First Lady IS a public figure - the mother of our country, if you will. If she's not on board with the campaign, the candidate might as well throw in the towel. Teresa Heinz certainly knew the ramifications of campaigning, with the ultimate goal of her husband being elected to the highest office in the country, if not the world.

Or maybe not. I've always felt this was just another lark and fun thing for her to piddle with. I don't think she ever thought it would go this far - with there actually being a possibility of her becoming First Lady. I think she's been supportive of Kerry just for fun, not because she really wants him to get elected.

It's a lot different being a Presidential candidates wife than it is being a Senator's wife. With a Senator, you only belong to a particular state, and you're sharing that with another Senator, a Governor and various Representatives. With President, it's all you and it's the whole country. Who here can name Sarbanes' wife or Mikulski's husband? Very few, I'll bet. But EVERYONE in the whole country knows the First Lady.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Tonio, the First Lady IS a public figure - the mother of our country, if you will. If she's not on board with the campaign, the candidate might as well throw in the towel. Teresa Heinz certainly knew the ramifications of campaigning, with the ultimate goal of her husband being elected to the highest office in the country, if not the world.

I wasn't talking about whether she supports her husband's desire to become President. I'm saying that once a President is elected, the First Lady should have the right to control how much she's in the public eye. Laura Bush has not been a public figure as much as Hillary and Nancy Reagan were. And that probably suits Laura fine.

Vrai, imagine if you were elected President. Would you want the press to harass First Gentleman Larry Gude, pick over every detail of his life to find something bad? I think Larry would just say "Phuque it" and spend all his time on the golf course.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tonio
Vrai, imagine if you were elected President. Would you want the press to harass First Gentleman Larry Gude, pick over every detail of his life to find something bad? I think Larry would just say "Phuque it" and spend all his time on the golf course.
First of all, I would never run for President if Larry wasn't willing to do the dance with me. It's one of the hazards of being in the public eye - every facet of your life since the day you were born gets picked apart, analyzed, embellished and sensationalized. If Teresa Heinz didn't realize that, then she is unprepared to be First Lady, therefore her husband is unprepared to be President.

The reason Laura Bush isn't as public is because she's boring. She's not out heading up Health Care reforms, she's not interjecting herself in the Cabinet, she's not even spending a fortune redecorating the White House. She's not involved in any business scandals, she's not making a killing in the stock market and she doesn't make inflammatory remarks to the press. She has no aspirations to public office for herself and therefore doesn't seek the limelight. She doesn't make diva-like demands on the Presidential staff and she's not consulting an astrologer.

All she does is promote literacy and reading. BO-ring!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Who here can name Sarbanes' wife or Mikulski's husband?
Sarbane's wife's name is Christine. I don't think Mikulski has ever been married, I hear she likes the ladies.

D

darkriver4362

Originally posted by Ken King
I don't think Mikulski has ever been married, I hear she likes the ladies.

My grandma swears the same exact thing about her.

SmallTown

Football season!
Bill and Hillary were NOT lightweights by any stretch of the imagination.

I take back my fear that Kerry will beat Bush - I can't imagine why anyone would want this pair of hot-house lilies in the White House.

I was refering to the notion of anyone wanting kerry in the white house, and I simply mentioned that with everything that was said, Clinton was still put in there... Twice.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
Twice.
Yeah, good point. I'm going to call my grandmother and get her take. She's a "yellow dog" so I'd be interested in what she thinks of Kerry - if she genuinely likes him or is just voting for the D.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Ken King
I don't think Mikulski has ever been married, I hear she likes the ladies.

:rolleyes: Not that I care much one way the other about Mikulski, but Ken, you're too intelligent to be assuming that a woman is a lesbian if she's butch-looking.

Remember when Linda Chavez ran against Mikulski in 1986? Chavez called Mikulski a "San Francisco Democrat," which was a coded way of calling her a lesbian. If that had happened between two male candidates, there would have been a fistfight.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Tonio
:rolleyes: Not that I care much one way the other about Mikulski, but Ken, you're too intelligent to be assuming that a woman is a lesbian if she's butch-looking.

I think her "Eat Muff" bumper sticker kind of gives it away