This scares the shiat out of me

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2004Apr17.html

"Do you believe that someone who 'lies with someone' of the same sex deserves to be put to death," Furmansky asked the crowd at one point, to which several responded, "Amen."

If enough people feel this way, is our society not far away from having vigilante groups going around killing anyone who looks gay? There are already those types of groups in southern Arizona going after Mexicans trying to sneak over the border.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Kain99
People are always looking for a reason to hate. :frown:

True. I'm suggesting that a mob mentality might happen, where someone stirs up their hate and anger to the point where they lust for blood.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by Tonio
our society not far away from having vigilante groups going around killing anyone who looks gay?

Not far? Don't people already do this? Fag-bashing isn't anything new.

And not bash the same way that people "bash" Bush. I mean bash the same way that you would bash something with a sledgehammer.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: This scares the shiat out of me

Originally posted by Toxick
Not far? Don't people already do this? Fag-bashing isn't anything new.

Good point. I don't know if it's an organized effort right now, just a spur-of-the-moment thing like what happened to Matthew Shepherd.

Hessian

How much of your life is spent in fear?

What if they drill for oil in Alaska??
What if SUV's get only 12mpg?
What if the Moslems hit us with a dirty bomb?
What if Bush were reelected?
What if they don't build a bypass around Hughesville?
What if Clark was telling the truth?

Tonio...let not your heart be troubled...the KKK, the Rightwing Gay-bashing nazi's, the People that bring their children to Sunday school 10 minutes early or stay for the second service are not going to hunt you down and kill you....OK?
Are you calm now?
Breathe....its alright...feel better?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonio, did you actually read the article? This was a public forum, including PFLAGs and resident gays, discussing same-sex marriage in Maryland. It was hardly an anti-gay rally and Furmansky was merely asking a question, not encouraging anyone to put gays to death.
The gathering was organized and hosted by Equality Maryland, the state's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization. The panel discussion was one in a series of town hall meetings the organization is presenting across the state, but executive director Dan Furmansky said this one was by far the most contentious.

"It's been awhile since my proposed death for being gay has been greeted with 'amens' in the audience," he said. "It was a unique and disturbing attitude. It's interesting that people feel such an ingrained, violent hostility toward individuals because of their sexual orientation."

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
It was hardly an anti-gay rally and Furmansky was merely asking a question, not encouraging anyone to put gays to death.
Of course I read that part. I wasn't saying Furmansky was fearmongering, but that the opportunity existed for someone else to stir up anger and bloodlust.

Originally posted by Hessian
Tonio...let not your heart be troubled...the KKK, the Rightwing Gay-bashing nazi's, the People that bring their children to Sunday school 10 minutes early or stay for the second service are not going to hunt you down and kill you....OK?

The scary part is not that they actually might do it, but just that they WANT to do it. Haven't you ever felt like someone is out to get you personally? I worked a short summer job during college, and a member of the crew threatened my life, speaking to me alone, for the last three weeks of the job. I have no idea what motivated him except that I'm white and he was black. He even extorted money from me, on the rationale that I got a tax break from going to college and he didn't.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
He even extorted money from me, on the rationale that I got a tax break from going to college and he didn't.

How'd you get suckered into that? :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The scary part is not that they actually might do it, but just that they WANT to do it.
This from the guy who wants to torture people???? :lol:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by sleuth14
How'd you get suckered into that? :shrug:

Because it was "give me that money which is rightfully mine, or else the crew will find your body along the trail." I'm not joking about that, either.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
This from the guy who wants to torture people???? :lol:

Now do you understand...it's the feeling of never wanting to let people hurt me or push me around.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Haven't you ever felt like someone is out to get you personally?
Yes, and how you handle it is to either ignore them or tell them to go to hell.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Because it was "give me that money which is rightfully mine, or else the crew will find your body along the trail." I'm not joking about that, either.

Ah.. I didn't realize both events happened simultaneously.

If I felt that he couldn't hurt me at that moment, or if I didn't have the money on me, I woulda told him to go to hell...And then called the police... And I probably would have bought a gun.

If I had the money on me and I felt like I was in a vulnerable position, I woulda given him the money and then called the police.

I hope you did call the police afterward.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by sleuth14
I hope you did call the police afterward.

I probably should have, but no. He told me that if I did contact the police, I was a dead man.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I probably should have, but no. He told me that if I did contact the police, I was a dead man.

Just curious Tonio...
Are you normally easily intimidated or do you stand up for yourself when challenged?

mainman

Set Trippin
Yes, and how you handle it is to either ignore them or tell them to go to hell.
Someone that makes a direct death threat against me will not hear "go to hell"... All negotiation and banter stops with a death threat...

J

justhangn

Originally posted by mainman
Someone that makes a direct death threat against me will not hear "go to hell"... All negotiation and banter stops with a death threat...

:high5: I gotta say you're on target with this one MM...........