Traditional MD foods

MDSupremacist

Besides Stuffed Ham, are their any other dishes that are uniquely Maryland? I'm not looking for the obvious like Crab Cakes, etc but more like Beaten Biscuits and Turtle Soup.

PJay

Smith Island Cake

"Effective October 1, 2008, the Smith Island Cake became the State Dessert of Maryland (Chapters 164 & 165, Acts of 2008; Code State Government Article, sec. 13-320). Traditionally, the cake consists of eight to ten layers of yellow cake with chocolate frosting between each layer and slathered over the whole. However, many variations have evolved, both in the flavors for frosting and the cake itself."

Smith Island Cake, Maryland State Dessert

"Spoon Bread

A classic from Maryland's colonial times!

Ingredients: 1 stick butter 2 cups white corn meal 3 cups boiling water 5 Tbsp. sugar 1 tsp. salt 3 well beaten eggs 1 1/2 cups milk

Instructions: Add butter to boiling water and gradually stir in corn meal. Cool. After cooling, add to the mixture the sugar, salt, eggs and milk. Mix well and pour into a buttered casserole
dish. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Serve hot. Serves 6 to 8. "

Maryland Side Dish Recipes

Last edited:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Smith Island Cake

"Effective October 1, 2008, the Smith Island Cake became the State Dessert of Maryland (Chapters 164 & 165, Acts of 2008; Code State Government Article, sec. 13-320). Traditionally, the cake consists of eight to ten layers of yellow cake with chocolate frosting between each layer and slathered over the whole. However, many variations have evolved, both in the flavors for frosting and the cake itself."

Smith Island Cake, Maryland State Dessert

That is really neat. I did a search and found the Smith Island Baking Co. I think I might order my Step-Dads cake from them when he and my mom come to visit.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
That is really neat. I did a search and found the Smith Island Baking Co. I think I might order my Step-Dads cake from them when he and my mom come to visit.

The traditional yellow w/chocolate is yummy.

The banana is to die for...JMO.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
The traditional yellow w/chocolate is yummy.

The banana is to die for...JMO.

They all looked good. I will have to get with my mom and see if she knows what he would like best. His birthday is January 2nd and he said that he never had a birthday cake much less presents while growing up. In fact he can only remember being told Happy Birthday a few times. He said it was due to being the day after New Years and everone was too tired, done with the holidays or to hung over to care.

They are coming up right after Christmas so as a suprise I am going to have a cake for him and we will all celebrate together.

MDSupremacist

Oh, and then these cakes as well.....learning a lot here

English Plum Pudding

Lady Baltimore Cake

Kossuth Cakes

Traditional Desserts in Maryland | eHow.com

I've made the Kossuth Cake. Had to turn the world upside down to find a decent mold(then a week later I find another in an antique shop lol). It was good. I'm thinking about the Lady Baltimore for Christmas. I *think* that is the traditional time to have it. I'm looking forward to tasting it. There is also the Lord Baltimore cake, created to use the used eggs from the Lady Baltimore cake.

C

czygvtwkr

I have seen Maryland Fried Chicken advertised before but have no idea how its any different from regular fried chicken.

PJay

I have seen Maryland Fried Chicken advertised before but have no idea how its any different from regular fried chicken.

I think I just read some place because of using buttermilk? I'll try and find again.....

mitzi

I've always wondered about that too. I've never seen "Maryland" Fried Chicken on a menu in Maryland, but have seen it in Florida.

MDSupremacist

I believe it's fried with a lid on the frying pan so it steams and fries at the same time. My grandmom used to make it, though I never remember having it. She was known for her fried chicken. MD fried chicken is supposed to be the best.

MDSupremacist

I've always wondered about that too. I've never seen "Maryland" Fried Chicken on a menu in Maryland, but have seen it in Florida.

This explains why you see it in Florida:
The Story | marylandfriedchicken.com
Since the days of Mary Randolph, perhaps no one has done more to make "Maryland fried chicken" a familiar term than Albert Constantine, actually a native of nearby Wilmington, Del. After moving to Florida in 1959, Constantine, then 39, decided to become a restaurateur. With only "$2,500 and good credit," he bought a place in the Orlando area, dubbed it Constantine's, and served a traditional full menu.
Two years later, another newcomer appeared on the local dining scene--an honorary Kentucky colonel named Harland Sanders. "He had a line outside his store every day and all day Sunday," Constantine complains. "I figured I could do business like that too."

But first, he had to come up with a counter to the colonel's meal ticket. Constantine had a "broaster," a pressure-fryer for chicken, and he decided to put it to use. He experimented with thousands of combinations of ingredients; eventually he came up with a breading that he says incorporated 21 herbs and spices. Then he pressure-fried the chicken in pure peanut oil.

"It wasn't greasy at all," Constantine contends. "It was the best chicken in the world."

Now ready to engage the colonel fowl for fowl, Constantine had a stroke of marketing genius. A few years earlier, Maryland-based aerospace giant Glenn L. Martin Co. (now Lockheed Martin Corp.) opened an Orlando plant, which brought a wave of Baltimoreans to town. Eager to exploit the Mobtowners' likely need for "a taste of home," Constantine went for the jugular: "I called my place Maryland Fried Chicken and put up a 35-foot sign. From day one, people snapped it up."

He went on to establish a chain of MFCs that earned him millions before he finally sold the franchise operation in 1975. Retired since then, he says he spends his time "dancing with pretty ladies" and traveling. Meanwhile, MFC eateries still thrive in a host of states, although not their namesake; the nearest outposts are in Bethlehem and Easton, Pa. But they still get most of their birds from Delmarva producers--and, Constantine says, still traffic in the nostalgic ideal of family farms and picnics in the sun.

"I hear it's a good way of life," he says. "I guess for a lot of people, the chicken represents that."

Original Article: Bird is the Word: At Picnic Time, There's Something About Maryland Chicken | Baltimore City Paper

Click here to browse a list of Maryland Fried Chicken restaurants. The list is sorted by state.

stockgirl

Stocki

I think I just read some place because of using buttermilk? I'll try and find again.....

I believe it's fried with a lid on the frying pan so it steams and fries at the same time. My grandmom used to make it, though I never remember having it. She was known for her fried chicken. MD fried chicken is supposed to be the best.

Chicken Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MDSupremacist

Has anyone had homemade beaten biscuits? I tried the store bought stuff, wasn't impressed. I was wondering if homemade is better or that they really aren't anything to write home about?