Kirk Cousins

Dondi

Dondi
Just wanted to give some stats for Kirk Cousins while he was at Michigan State. He holds the MSU all-time record for passing TDs (66), passing yards (9.131), completions (723), and passing efficiency (146.1). He led his team to victory over Georgia in the 2012 Outback Bowl, 33-30 in overtime.

Career at MSU:

Passing Stats

Passing Attempts: 1128
Passing Comp: 723
Pct: 64.1
TDS: 66
INT: 30
Rating: 146.1

Not bad at all. The only drawback is his rushing stats. Obviously, a pocket passer:

Rushing Stats

Rushing Attempts: 111
Rushing Yards: -127 (oops)
Ave: -1.1
TD: 1

I have confidence that Cousins can do the job at Cleveland in place of RG3, should the need arise, but he is going to have to learn how to scramble.

Kirk Cousins Profile - Michigan State Official Athletic Site

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is the dilemma.

You get a guy 4th round (not long after Russel Wilson) who could very likely be a solid pro and then you have draft picks to build depth and talent around him or you go with an incredible, once in awhile, maybe once in a long while, talent like RGIII yet have, for the most part, all your eggs in once basket? Tom Brady was, what, a 6th round pick? He has more Superbowl wins than #1 Peyton and that is at least in part because the Patriots have never been a one man show.

I was against the trade and still am but, my god, Robert is incredible and not just him; he makes everyone else better as well. A true leader, great character guy and, hey, he's lead this 4-12 team to 7-6 and a real shot at the playoffs.

I watch teams like Houston who have lone been building and they get wiped out by the Pats. Houston has talent all around. Defense, offense, and a solid, if unspectacular, QB in Schaub.

Point being I have to admit it is a quarterback league; Eli, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rogers, Ben. You HAVE to have excellent QB play and there is NO way the Skins go to Foxboro with Robert on Monday Night Football and have no chance.

He is THAT good.

In any event, I like Kirk but, in a game like this with Cleveland, I don't know that we're good enough to just show up without Robert and beat a so so team. I am nervous about this one!

:buddies:

thurley42

HY;FR
You all have your hands full with RGIII in there, by no means should you take Cleveland lightly....we're playing as well as ever right now. If you haven't been to the Dawg Pound, it's a tough place to play, ask the Steelers....not to mention it's December on Lake Erie...and that's a whole nother catagorey of cold! I wasn't kidding when I said it might be an advantage to have Cousins start, at least he's used to the weather.

I've had this game circled since the schedule came out...and for awhile, I thought we'd get crushed. Now honestly it's about even IMO...our struggles have been our passing offense, our defense has been carrying us most of the year. Alot of people hear Cleveland and automatically put a "W" up...then find out it's alot harder than it looks...We've only been blown out once this year..6 of our 8 loses were by 1 possession...

It should be a fun one!:buddies:

Dondi

Dondi
This is the dilemma...

I do not doubt that the Pats are extremely talented, but we also must remember that they are in a weak division, with the Bills and Dolphins slumping for so long and the Jets having the slimmest hopes of even making the playoffs. So it's been easy for the Pats to have clinched the AFC East division with 4 games left to play, prior to last night. And with the exception of the Jets in 2002 and the Dolphins in 2008, NE has won the division 10 times since Brady took the reins.

The NFC East is an entirely different story. Even when the Skins were miserable, they were still able to cork the Giants twice last season. It's alway been a fight to the end. It has been a round robin between NY, Dallas, and especially Philly over the last 11 years. Maybe this will be our year to shuffle back in.

Pierre Garcon is healthy again and making plays. Moss, Morgan, Paulsen, and Hankerson are not dropping as many balls of late. And Morris and Young will still be a powerhouse in the run game, in which we are currently ranked #1.

RG3 had 12 rushes for 106 yards in the last two games, and 40 of those came in that big run in the NY game. I think they can come up with some plays using Morris and/or Young so that Cousins doesn't have to worry running too much, except when he is flushed out of the pocket, which he was able to do on that TD pass to Garcon.

The Browns are 18th against the rush and 21st against the pass. I don't see any reason why our offense won't do well in Cleveland, with or without RG3.

As far as Cleveland's offense goes, they are 21st in passing (against our 31st in pass defense ;()and 24th in rushing (against our 7th rush defense).

I don't want to underestimate the Browns, because it is against teams like this whom we ought to have beaten who often nail us. But I don't want to underestimate our chances with the success we've had either.

Last edited:

Dondi

Dondi
If you haven't been to the Dawg Pound, it's a tough place to play, ask the Steelers....not to mention it's December on Lake Erie...and that's a whole nother catagorey of cold! I wasn't kidding when I said it might be an advantage to have Cousins start, at least he's used to the weather.

Another good point in favor for Cousins.

Divisional games are always going to be unpredicatable. Plus you have two chances to beat them (but you lost twice to the Ravens). But outside your division wins over Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, you've only managed to beat teams with losing records (San Diego 5-8, Oakland 3-10, and Kansas City 2-11).

At any rate, it ought to be an interesting game.

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR
Another good point in favor for Cousins.

Divisional games are always going to be unpredicatable. Plus you have two chances to beat them. But outside your division wins over Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, you've only managed to beat teams with losing records (San Diego 5-8, Oakland 3-10, and Kansas City 2-11).

At any rate, it ought to be and interesting game.

Both teams you have lost to:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I do not doubt that the Pats are extremely talented, but we also must remember that they are in a weak division, with the Bills and Dolphins slumping for so long and the Jets having the slimmest hopes of even making the playoffs. .

There are no weak divisions in the NFL and, to me, it doesn't give the Pats enough credit to say their division is weak.

The Jets were not long ago two time AFC championship game participants.

Miami beat Seattle a couple weeks ago.

And Buffalo has been up and coming the last few years.

The Patriots are perhaps the best coached team in the league and do the best at managing players. Lose a step? Thanks for the memories! Cost a bit too much? Enjoy your new team. They win on the little things, execution, adjustments, clever plays that they then EXECUTE. Talent wise, there are no more dominant teams in this era so, it's all about making a few more plays and that's what the Pats do. They'd be contending every year regardless of division they played in.

Also, consider, Brady is the ONLY Pat left from the '01 Superbowl team.

They are an awesome team.

thurley42

HY;FR
There are no weak divisions in the NFL and, to me, it doesn't give the Pats enough credit to say their division is weak.

The Patriots are perhaps the best coached team in the league and do the best at managing players. Lose a step? Thanks for the memories! Cost a bit too much? Enjoy your new team. They win on the little things, execution, adjustments, clever plays that they then EXECUTE. Talent wise, there are no more dominant teams in this era so, it's all about making a few more plays and that's what the Pats do. They'd be contending every year regardless of division they played in.

:yeahthat: Those guys have been dominant for over a decade, that's saying something. They put every other team on notice Monday night.....they have a running game and a defense, and they are clicking....

Hopefully the stage is set for another Brady v Manning AFC Championship.:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:yeahthat: Those guys have been dominant for over a decade, that's saying something. They put every other team on notice Monday night.....they have a running game and a defense, and they are clicking....

Hopefully the stage is set for another Brady v Manning AFC Championship.:buddies:

Hope it's in Denver!!!

warneckutz

You all have your hands full with RGIII in there, by no means should you take Cleveland lightly....we're playing as well as ever right now. If you haven't been to the Dawg Pound, it's a tough place to play, ask the Steelers....not to mention it's December on Lake Erie...and that's a whole nother catagorey of cold! I wasn't kidding when I said it might be an advantage to have Cousins start, at least he's used to the weather.

I've had this game circled since the schedule came out...and for awhile, I thought we'd get crushed. Now honestly it's about even IMO...our struggles have been our passing offense, our defense has been carrying us most of the year. Alot of people hear Cleveland and automatically put a "W" up...then find out it's alot harder than it looks...We've only been blown out once this year..6 of our 8 loses were by 1 possession...

It should be a fun one!:buddies:

:yahoo:

:whistle:

:poorbaby:

This is the dilemma.

In any event, I like Kirk but, in a game like this with Cleveland, I don't know that we're good enough to just show up without Robert and beat a so so team. I am nervous about this one!

329 yards and 2 TD's...

Beta84

They're out to get us
Rating: 146.1
Just remember that the QB rating isn't out of 150-whatever like the NFL. QB ratings are inflated in college ball. No QB with a 2-to-1 TD to INT ratio would sniff 100 in the NFL. But 146.1 is pretty good overall.

This is the dilemma.

You get a guy 4th round (not long after Russel Wilson) who could very likely be a solid pro and then you have draft picks to build depth and talent around him or you go with an incredible, once in awhile, maybe once in a long while, talent like RGIII yet have, for the most part, all your eggs in once basket? Tom Brady was, what, a 6th round pick? He has more Superbowl wins than #1 Peyton and that is at least in part because the Patriots have never been a one man show.

I was against the trade and still am but, my god, Robert is incredible and not just him; he makes everyone else better as well. A true leader, great character guy and, hey, he's lead this 4-12 team to 7-6 and a real shot at the playoffs.

I watch teams like Houston who have lone been building and they get wiped out by the Pats. Houston has talent all around. Defense, offense, and a solid, if unspectacular, QB in Schaub.

Point being I have to admit it is a quarterback league; Eli, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rogers, Ben. You HAVE to have excellent QB play and there is NO way the Skins go to Foxboro with Robert on Monday Night Football and have no chance.

He is THAT good.

It's a good thing the Skins picked both RGIII and Cousins, even though most people roasted Washington for it. RGIII is going to get hurt and they need a solid backup to play at least 2-3 games a year, kind of like whoever has Vick as their starting QB. Think about it: this week's game against Cleveland would have been the Rex Grossman show.

But then again, they've shown Cousins is pretty solid. A team like Kansas City or Arizona could potentially give the Skins a 2nd round draft pick this offseason for him. Anyone who could flip a 2012 4th rounder for a high 2013 2nd rounder would do it in a heartbeat.

I do not doubt that the Pats are extremely talented, but we also must remember that they are in a weak division, with the Bills and Dolphins slumping for so long and the Jets having the slimmest hopes of even making the playoffs. So it's been easy for the Pats to have clinched the AFC East division with 4 games left to play, prior to last night. And with the exception of the Jets in 2002 and the Dolphins in 2008, NE has won the division 10 times since Brady took the reins.

The NFC East is an entirely different story. Even when the Skins were miserable, they were still able to cork the Giants twice last season. It's alway been a fight to the end. It has been a round robin between NY, Dallas, and especially Philly over the last 11 years. Maybe this will be our year to shuffle back in.

Pierre Garcon is healthy again and making plays. Moss, Morgan, Paulsen, and Hankerson are not dropping as many balls of late. And Morris and Young will still be a powerhouse in the run game, in which we are currently ranked #1.

RG3 had 12 rushes for 106 yards in the last two games, and 40 of those came in that big run in the NY game. I think they can come up with some plays using Morris and/or Young so that Cousins doesn't have to worry running too much, except when he is flushed out of the pocket, which he was able to do on that TD pass to Garcon.

The Browns are 18th against the rush and 21st against the pass. I don't see any reason why our offense won't do well in Cleveland, with or without RG3.

As far as Cleveland's offense goes, they are 21st in passing (against our 31st in pass defense ;()and 24th in rushing (against our 7th rush defense).

I don't want to underestimate the Browns, because it is against teams like this whom we ought to have beaten who often nail us. But I don't want to underestimate our chances with the success we've had either.
Bias, bias, bias. Wow! Most years there are at least 2 decent teams (by record) in a division and that usually goes for the NFC East as well. The Eagles have been solid but never spectacular, the Cowboys haven't done anything since the mid 90s, the Skins haven't done anything since the early 90's, and the Giants win Super Bowls after barely making the playoffs.

Show me a team from that bunch that would have year-in, year-out would have challenged the Patriots. 2011, the Pats went 3-1 against the NFC East. 2007: 4-0. 2003: 3-1. Yeah, I'm sure playing in the NFC East would have really impacted their run. :rolleyes:

The Bills have been "up and coming" for awhile. That's what happens when you suck...nowhere to go but up. The problem is, everyone seems to have forgotten that Chan Gailey isn't a good coach and isn't taking them anywhere.

The Patriots were able to win 11 games with Matt Cassel as QB! The same guy who can't get a couple of wins with the Chiefs. That's unbelievable. They've been doing it with offense lately, but that year they had a great defense too. I think the last 2-3 years the Pats have been more vulnerable since they haven't replaced some key defensive players, but the young guys are starting to get better and they may have a good defense on the horizon. That should help them stay competitive even if Brady loses a step.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's a good thing the Skins picked both RGIII and Cousins, even though most people roasted Washington for it. RGIII is going to get hurt and they need a solid backup to play at least 2-3 games a year, kind of like whoever has Vick as their starting QB. Think about it: this week's game against Cleveland would have been the Rex Grossman show.
zon. That should help them stay competitive even if Brady loses a step.

See, I feel I am in the minority. Most everyone has argued you sell the farm for a talent like Robert.

Beta84

They're out to get us
See, I feel I am in the minority. Most everyone has argued you sell the farm for a talent like Robert.

Assuming he holds up and doesn't have a short career due to the way he plays, then you definitely sell the farm. However, you don't sell the farm for a top rate player and then use a high pick on his backup instead of equipping him with more weapons. That's what I meant by the criticism. I think people were OK with the RGIII pick, but people were upset they also added Cousins.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I don't/didn't buy into the 2nd qb pick because the Shanahans are going to get#1 killed scenario that folks like LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes like to crow about. RGIII and Clutch Cousins are polar opposites as far as playing style. If RG didn't pan out the Shanahans had a back up plan with a more conventional style qb. Yesterday, Clutch proved that the pick was definitely worth it. Although I do think that if somebody comes along dangling draft picks then we can take the letters off of #12's jersey. Casserly has already said that if he were still a GM for a team like Oakland, KC, 'Zona or Cleveland he'd give up a #2 pick for him.