Quotes on Firearms Rights

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Quotes on Firearms Rights

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms." -- Constitutional scholar Joseph Story, 1840

"The bearing of arms is the essential medium through which the individual asserts both his social power and his participation in politics as a responsible moral being..." -- J.G.A. Pocock, describing the beliefs of the founders of the U.S.

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest.
-- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

while not a Gun specifically ....

The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, short swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other types of arms. The possession of unnecessary implements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to foment uprisings. -- Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Shogun, August 1588

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks." -- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." -- Peter Venetoklis

...Virtually never are murderers the ordinary, law-abiding people against whom gun bans are aimed. Almost without exception, murderers are extreme aberrants with lifelong histories of crime, substance abuse, psychopathology, mental retardation and/or irrational violence against those around them, as well as other hazardous behavior, e.g., automobile and gun accidents." -- Don B. Kates, writing on statistical patterns in gun crime

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them." -- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." -- George Washington, in a speech of January 7, 1790

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence.
-- Attributed to Charles Austin Beard (1874-1948)

Yes, Lieutenant Colonel Smith, you may indeed be able to take our stores and our arms. But it will only be after you've made orphans of our children and widows of ours wives, and the same of a fair number of your men's loved ones as well.

Random (paraphrased perhaps) armed colonist; Lexington, MA; April 19th, 1775

TNRabbit

Not a quote, but relevant:

Battle of Athens (TN) - 1946

As a TN native, I'm embarrassed to say I was completely unaware of this event that took place in Athens, TN. In 1946. I did not know an armed revolt by WWII veterans ever took place during our lifetime. A very sobering video to say the least. Now the second amendment is a little clearer.

Be sure to see the actual photos at the end showing the plaques describing the event.

Battle-of-Athens

TNRabbit

"This year will go down in history for the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."

Adolph Hitler introducing the 1935 Weapons Act of Nazi Germany

AllanJPinkerton

"This year will go down in history for the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."

Adolph Hitler introducing the 1935 Weapons Act of Nazi Germany

From RKBA.org:

This quotation, often seen without any date or citation at all, suffers from several credibility problems, the most significant of which is that the date given (*in alternate versions, the words "This year..." are replaced by "1935...") has no correlation with any legislative effort by the Nazis for gun registration, nor would there have been a need for the Nazis to pass such a law, since gun registration laws passed by the Weimar government were already in effect. The Nazi Weapons Law (or_Waffengesetz_) which further restricted the possession of militarily useful weapons and forbade trade in weapons without a government-issued license was passed on March 18, 1938.

There is a ton more information on this quote alone at http://rkba.org/research/rkba.faq Just CTRL + F (search) for quote that wouldn't die.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
‎"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."

Adolph Hitler, Mein Kampf

edinsomd

King Leonidas I of Sparta, to Xerxes I of Persia at the Battle of Thermopylae (c480 BC).

Attachments

• thCAVOUYX5.jpg
    thCAVOUYX5.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 128

NextJen

Raisin cane
“No one hunts with an assault rifle. No one needs 10 bullets to kill a deer. End the madness now!” NY Gov. Cuomo - 2013

:barf:

AllanJPinkerton

‎"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."

Adolph Hitler, Mein Kampf

That quote is fake too. Here is an article where it's explained how it happened. SydWalker.info» Blog Archive » Having Fun Falsifying History

It originated from an article in which the author thought it might be interesting to explore what Adolf Hitler himself might have thought about Move On’s derangement. This was in response to moveon.org 's video comparing Bush to Hitler a few years ago.