Flat tax

Would you want congress to scrap income tax & repl

• Love the idea.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Sounds good, need to know more, I'm interested.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Congress will screw it up, won't solve our crisis.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Flat tax is inherently unfair=Bad idea.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Hessian

I will admit outright that I have a cursory knowledge of the benefits/weaknesses of this.

However, with a limitation on how high it would go & how frequently it is tampered with,...I think I could get behind it.
Simple
Fair
makes sure that those who reside & vote here,...actually contribute to our government.
Poll...

dontknowwhy

I say we start with a mere 95% of income, assets, etc...& then just increase it by 10% every year for ten years

that's fair.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Flat tax would cause us to pay slightly more but it would be evenly distributed among everyone and I feel it would improve the housing market. No longer would many view homes as some form of wealth but for the actual purpose of having a place to live. This may cause the housing market to drop, interest rates for borrowing to remain low but all and all, after much thought, better in the long run. I'm for flat tax.

Plus, how many special interest groups are in bed with the politicians? If you get rid of our current complicated tax code, you rid our system of much corruption.

Hessian

State level?

I wonder if a state has this in place,..or is considering it.
We could learn a bit about its effectiveness if we had a model in place.

tommyjo

Flat tax is an inherently bad idea. Is is extremely unfair to the lower and middle class...only benefits the rich as their rates go down and everyone esle's go up. Amazes me that middle income Americans think this is an idea that has value.

comments above about it helping the housing market are just plain wrong.

philibusters

My quick thoughts:

Advantages:

1. Easier to administer
2. Less loopholes--more uniform application to similarly situated persons
3. If there is a low exclusion amount--will make it so that everybody has some skin in the game.

Disadvantages:

1. Maybe require higher rates for middle class persons to generate the same revenue, thus the middle class and lower class would pay higher taxes and the rich slightly less.

bcp

In My Opinion
so are you suggesting that women with big hooters pay less in tax even though they use more space?

bcp

In My Opinion
I will admit outright that I have a cursory knowledge of the benefits/weaknesses of this.

However, with a limitation on how high it would go & how frequently it is tampered with,...I think I could get behind it.
Simple
Fair
makes sure that those who reside & vote here,...actually contribute to our government.
Poll...

It only makes sure that they contribute if they are claiming the money they make.
If they are not claiming now, what is it that makes you think they will claim if we go to a flat tax?

Hessian

In Canada...

There should not be a tax on income, but only a flat tax amuont on purchases.

I seem to recall a VAT tax when I was up there years ago,...ON TOP of a sales tax. Seems like 17%??

Interesting approach. EVERYBODY pays.
Problem:
a) People will gravitate toward barter...might strangle flea markets.
b) Black market goods will feed organized crime.

Lets put that on the table for discussion!:coffee:

Hessian

My quick thoughts:

Disadvantages:

1. Maybe require higher rates for middle class persons to generate the same revenue, thus the middle class and lower class would pay higher taxes and the rich slightly less.

This is where the lawyers would screw it up.
Herman Cain's 9-9-9 approach sounded logical.
NO tampering with income adjustments...not a tiered tax...
a FLAT tax: everybody pays the SAME percent!

Hessian

Smooth,...but....

Like the promo,...meant to draw the interested BUT: that was 4+ min of story telling without any content. I see that it is a consumption tax. which I am OK with...unless the congress keep raising it & then giving refunds to all the "Low Information voters" who empower the poor vs Rich idiot in the WH.

So,...how high should the Fair Tax be? 10%...15%? Then the state sales taxes apply too right?

Time to get the garden going again, relearn how to can, and reduce my consumption--so I could keep more of my wages.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Like the promo,...meant to draw the interested BUT: that was 4+ min of story telling without any content. I see that it is a consumption tax. which I am OK with...unless the congress keep raising it & then giving refunds to all the "Low Information voters" who empower the poor vs Rich idiot in the WH.

So,...how high should the Fair Tax be? 10%...15%? Then the state sales taxes apply too right?

Time to get the garden going again, relearn how to can, and reduce my consumption--so I could keep more of my wages.

The Fair Tax website is very comprehensive and any question you have can be found there with an answer. :yay:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Simple
Fair
Poll...
The people who don't pay now would have to start paying, seeing as these people just gave their benefactor a second term, it won't happen

Ray_

Flat tax is an inherently bad idea. Is is extremely unfair to the lower and middle class...only benefits the rich as their rates go down and everyone esle's go up. Amazes me that middle income Americans think this is an idea that has value.

comments above about it helping the housing market are just plain wrong.

True, but it's fair and I think that is the most important consideration in tax policy. Everyone should have skin in the game whether you earn $10,000 or $10,000,000,000 and should pay the same percent. We don't base the price of a loaf of bread on level of income so why taxes?

Ray

abcxyz

People, people, people....

We all look at things from the perspective of how it will impact our lives. Now imagine not working for a living and life and every thing in it was free. So who are you going to vote in? People that promise free. Well We The People has done just that so don't ever think a flat tax or consumption tax will come to fruitation!!

The picture will be much clearer to you once you start looking at things from the perspective as if you didn't have to work for a living.

Does any one really think a bunch of lawyers are going to do some thing that makes sense for the rest of us??

Like tort reform, does any one think a bunch of lawyers are going to do any thing at all to jeprodise their bread and butter??

Keep the funnies coming, I needed a good laugh today!

Hessian

People, people, people....

We all look at things from the perspective of how it will impact our lives. Now imagine not working for a living and life and every thing in it was free. So who are you going to vote in? People that promise free. Well We The People has done just that so don't ever think a flat tax or consumption tax will come to fruitation!!

The picture will be much clearer to you once you start looking at things from the perspective as if you didn't have to work for a living.

Does any one really think a bunch of lawyers are going to do some thing that makes sense for the rest of us??

Like tort reform, does any one think a bunch of lawyers are going to do any thing at all to jeprodise their bread and butter??

Keep the funnies coming, I needed a good laugh today!

There have been transitional revolutions, sudden & destructive ones, and managed ones...which would you prefer? We are not totally unable to help shape our future, or am I being naive? Start small, start local....be brave.