What the Looming Port Strike Is Really About

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
It's not about jobs. It's not about safety. It's not about improving dockworkers' living standards. The looming, long-planned East and Gulf Coast port strikes are about protecting Big Labor's archaic work practices and corrupt waterfront rackets.

Are you ready for a fiscal cliff? The union bosses of an estimated 14,500 workers at 15 ports are preparing to send the economy plunging back into recession over productivity and efficiency rules changes. You read that right. Much more on that in a moment. But first, here's what's at stake.

The International Longshoremen's Association's (ILA) grip extends from Boston to Texas to Florida and all points across the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. The New York-New Jersey ports — which handle cargo valued at $208 billion — could come to a standstill. National Retail Federation executive Jonathan Gold issued a desperate statement: "The last thing the economy needs right now is another strike, which would impact all international trade and commerce at the nation's East and Gulf Coast container ports. This is truly a 'container cliff' in the making."

Retailers have begged Big Labor-lovin' President Obama to intervene. Good luck with that. The cozy White House powwow with union bosses immediately after Election Day tells you all you need to know about which side Obama champions.
What the Looming Port Strike Is Really About | CNS News

I hadn't even heard about the looming strike until today. Gotta spend less time shopping!

stgislander

PREMO Member
I can't imagine that even this President would allow a strike of this magnitude for any length of time. I can see it going for one day before he invokes Taft-Hartley.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I can't imagine that even this President would allow a strike of this magnitude for any length of time. I can see it going for one day before he invokes Taft-Hartley.

:killingme He meets with union leaders almost every day. He's the one planning it

bcp

In My Opinion

What you fail to realize is that obama is doing what he can to break this country.
I think he wants to bring it to its knees so he can rebuild it under U.N. control.
My money is on him hoping that the Unions strike longe enough to cause a serious financial problem.

the more people depend on government, the more government can control the people.

stgislander

PREMO Member
He let them strike in L.A. Why not here?

L.A. is just one port. The article indicates that this latest will multiple (all?) ports up and down the east and gulf coasts. Closing that many ports not only brings down the U.S economy but the global economy as well. He makes a symbolic gesture to the unions then reopens the ports. The narcissist-in-chief may think he's made of Teflon, but that tarball will stick. JMHO. :buddies:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
L.A. is just one port. The article indicates that this latest will multiple (all?) ports up and down the east and gulf coasts. Closing that many ports not only brings down the U.S economy but the global economy as well. He makes a symbolic gesture to the unions then reopens the ports. The narcissist-in-chief may think he's made of Teflon, but that tarball will stick. JMHO. :buddies:

80% of west coast shipping goes through LA/Long Beach

tommyjo

What you fail to realize is that obama is doing what he can to break this country.
I think he wants to bring it to its knees so he can rebuild it under U.N. control.
My money is on him hoping that the Unions strike longe enough to cause a serious financial problem.

the more people depend on government, the more government can control the people.

The more you post...the most idiotic and ignorant you sound.

Are you trying to break some sort of world's record for stupidity?

bcp

In My Opinion
The more you post...the most idiotic and ignorant you sound.

Are you trying to break some sort of world's record for stupidity?

That was done during the last election. The largest number of idiots voted in the history of the world.
Its why we have buckwheat for president.

BOP

You're thinking of Reagan.

This won is so in bed with the unions, that one day (probably soon), the wiki entry will read something similar to:

American labor unions benefitted greatly from the New Deal policies of Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the 1930s. The Wagner Act, in particular, legally protected the right of unions to organize. Unions from this point developed increasingly closer ties to the Democratic Party, and are considered a backbone element of the New Deal Coalition. The power and success of labor unions continued to grow after World War II, but faced stiff resistance from conservative, free market business interests, represented politically by the Republican Party. Today, President Obama works to ensure that unions benefit from legislation friendly to the union workers and the movement.

Or something like that.