Boehner fights for his political life.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Speaker says he is not concerned for his job but pressure rises after Republican right rejects tax rises to solve budget crisis."

"The Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner, has signalled that he is not planning to quit after a congressional debacle that left negotiations over US debt and spending in chaos and brought closer the prospect of the country falling over the "fiscal cliff" on 1 January.

With house members having left Washington on Thursday night for Christmas and senators scheduled to leave Friday afternoon, the prospect of a deal before the deadline appeared bleak.

Boehner, speaking at a press conference on Friday morning regarding how a deal could be found, summed up the mood in Washington. "How we get there? God only knows," he said.

The Republican leader in the Senate, Mitch McConnell, to whom Boehner shifted responsibility for finding a deal, made an opening bid, suggesting the Senate take up a bill that has already passed the House that would extend for another year the present tax breaks for everyone that were introduced during the presidency of George W Bush. The proposal will not fly for the Democrats, but at least it is the start of a process.

Until now, McConnell has shown little interest in becoming involved in the negotiations. McConnell proposed the House bill as a starting point to which the Democrats could introduce amendments and differences between the House and Senate versions be hammered out.

"It's called legislating, folks," McConnell said. "It's what Congress used to do."

News of the breakdown of talks triggered a sell off on the US stock markets on Friday, with the Dow Industrial Average falling by more than 160 points before noon."

bcp

In My Opinion
So boy...what do you think Barry and Harry are going to do now?

what they need to do is learn how to cut spending and compromise.

Claiming they have to raise tax to meet current costs, then spending twice as much as the raise in the new taxes is a bit of a slap in the face.

Cut obamacare out
get rid of non contributory social programs.
now that's a good start right there.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Boehner has shown himself to be inept and ineffective. There needs to be a vote of no confidence and get him out of the speak position. I expect more of this nonsense from him and as a result the GOP losing control of the house in ’14. He epitomizes the plight of the GOP.

CrashTest

So boy...what do you think Barry and Harry are going to do now?

They'll do nothing. Wait till the middle class who voted for Barry realize that he actually hates the middle class and wants taxes to go up for everyone. Luckily, I'm single, have no kids, and can afford it.

Sorry soccer moms, no more $60,000 SUV's for you. But look at the bright side. "Free" birth control.

:killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Boehner has shown himself to be inept and ineffective. There needs to be a vote of no confidence and get him out of the speak position. I expect more of this nonsense from him and as a result the GOP losing control of the house in ’14. He epitomizes the plight of the GOP.

And then what? Eric Cantor? Because he epitomizes...uh...err...more of the same?

Unless and until we get someone who was not part of the problem, we're not going to be working towards solutions. Even Ryan, who many were excited about, was advocating, if we just step back and look at it, a variation on the theme. Deficits for, what, the next 20, 30 years?

I know this is boring but, $1 trillion in deficit spending, the new normal, is equal to about 6% of GDP meaning we need to grow at 6% and the government confiscate it ALL just to STOP adding to the debt. Obama wants, in taxes and cuts, a net increase of $1.2 trillion coming into the gummint...over 10 years...and is only estimated to cut the deficit, THE DEFICIT $2.4 trillion over that time.

Boehners plan is, essentially, asking for a dollar more in cuts than in tax increases.

Neither of them is offering anything. Just as a contrast, Ron Paul said "Well, gee, let's see. Spending $1 trillion a year more than we take in? What if we cut, oh, $1 trillion? This year?" And the world shrieked that we can't do THAT!!

I know there will be no spending cuts. Not a penny. There will be, at best, cuts in the rate of growth. As I say, certainly not Obama, but, not Boehner, not Ryan, no one who is being listened to is even talking about how severe this is. Again, 6% growth in GDP just to stop the bleeding. We are well under 2.

We'd need another 6% growth for anything meaningful to be happening in the economy as a whole. And yet another 6% to pay DOWN a trillion in debt. AND the government to take it ALL.

We have no serious voices in DC right now. The first sign of a serious, rationale mind would be someone who talks in terms of a budget that the current congress can control; 2 years. Not this inane 10 year crap as though everyone who votes for it will be around for 10 years to see it through.

The only solutions I see, and I am still open to suggestions, is wiping out debt and getting interest rates up. We can do that NOW. Everything else is rearranging deck furniture on a sinking ship.

PsyOps

Pixelated
And then what? Eric Cantor? Because he epitomizes...uh...err...more of the same?

Unless and until we get someone who was not part of the problem, we're not going to be working towards solutions. Even Ryan, who many were excited about, was advocating, if we just step back and look at it, a variation on the theme. Deficits for, what, the next 20, 30 years?

I know this is boring but, $1 trillion in deficit spending, the new normal, is equal to about 6% of GDP meaning we need to grow at 6% and the government confiscate it ALL just to STOP adding to the debt. Obama wants, in taxes and cuts, a net increase of $1.2 trillion coming into the gummint...over 10 years...and is only estimated to cut the deficit, THE DEFICIT $2.4 trillion over that time.

Boehners plan is, essentially, asking for a dollar more in cuts than in tax increases.

Neither of them is offering anything. Just as a contrast, Ron Paul said "Well, gee, let's see. Spending $1 trillion a year more than we take in? What if we cut, oh, $1 trillion? This year?" And the world shrieked that we can't do THAT!!

I know there will be no spending cuts. Not a penny. There will be, at best, cuts in the rate of growth. As I say, certainly not Obama, but, not Boehner, not Ryan, no one who is being listened to is even talking about how severe this is. Again, 6% growth in GDP just to stop the bleeding. We are well under 2.

We'd need another 6% growth for anything meaningful to be happening in the economy as a whole. And yet another 6% to pay DOWN a trillion in debt. AND the government to take it ALL.

We have no serious voices in DC right now. The first sign of a serious, rationale mind would be someone who talks in terms of a budget that the current congress can control; 2 years. Not this inane 10 year crap as though everyone who votes for it will be around for 10 years to see it through.

The only solutions I see, and I am still open to suggestions, is wiping out debt and getting interest rates up. We can do that NOW. Everything else is rearranging deck furniture on a sinking ship.

This is about the ‘fiscal cliff’ deal. This is about getting that little bandaid in place to stave off tax increases. This is about leadership. When you can’t even get your party marginally on board, you must go. If the GOP had the smallest of courage and started weeded people like Boehner out, even if it meant getting someone slightly more conservative, it will at least be a move in the right direction; even if they could get someone that is able to lead I’d be somewhat happier than I am now. This does not translate into any belief on my part that the GOP has anything to offer in solving our fiscal problems.

On a long-term basis, the GOP is completely lost. Where are voices like Ron Paul? Why can’t real conservatives get traction in this trending-left party? Who is really in control of this party? And why can’t conservative voters get a voice? Look at what happened to the Tea Party. What is the influential voice that causing everything appearing-RIGHT to trend left?

bcp

In My Opinion

Now, when you say wiping out the debt, I know you cant mean that we just erase it back to a reasonable level and go on like we never had it in the first place.
Im thinking China might have a problem with this. I could be wrong

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is about the ‘fiscal cliff’ deal. This is about getting that little bandaid in place to stave off tax increases. This is about leadership. When you can’t even get your party marginally on board, you must go. If the GOP had the smallest of courage and started weeded people like Boehner out, even if it meant getting someone slightly more conservative, it will at least be a move in the right direction; even if they could get someone that is able to lead I’d be somewhat happier than I am now. This does not translate into any belief on my part that the GOP has anything to offer in solving our fiscal problems.

On a long-term basis, the GOP is completely lost. Where are voices like Ron Paul? Why can’t real conservatives get traction in this trending-left party? Who is really in control of this party? And why can’t conservative voters get a voice? Look at what happened to the Tea Party. What is the influential voice that causing everything appearing-RIGHT to trend left?

Maybe I just have to admit you are correct, we are a center left nation. Boehner, duly elected Speaker of the House, by his own party, IS the GOP and so is every last one of them who are 'normally free market kinda guys' right up to the point it really matters.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Now, when you say wiping out the debt, I know you cant mean that we just erase it back to a reasonable level and go on like we never had it in the first place.
Im thinking China might have a problem with this. I could be wrong

#### China. Let me be clear, #### CHINA.

China acts, as they should, in their own interest and that ain't always gonna be in our interests. They will be MUCH happier to write off nearly a trillion and get back to business. I would much rather have new, profitable business and healthy customers than this freaking Zombie bull#### we have.

Oh, while I am at it, #### Wall Street. They, like China, are only as healthy as their customers and their customer needs to STOP being the US government and start being we, the people again. Bad business is bad business.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Maybe I just have to admit you are correct, we are a center left nation. Boehner, duly elected Speaker of the House, by his own party, IS the GOP and so is every last one of them who are 'normally free market kinda guys' right up to the point it really matters.

:buddies:

I think we both came to this conclusion a while back. Or, perhaps you’re still in denial, hoping it just can’t be true. I don’t know.

What’s left? How do we turn it around? I say we don’t until there is a catastrophic crash. And even then I don’t know. I see a bunch of scenarios, most of which don’t turn out well for this country.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think we both came to this conclusion a while back. Or, perhaps you’re still in denial, hoping it just can’t be true. I don’t know. .

I know in my bones we are a right of center nation, well right actually. Issue after issue. 100,000,000 people who DO NOT vote. They could ensure 'give me!' by voting left. It's their for the taking. They don't believe in it. However, they do not believe in the GOP either. You know 'em. They think worrying about politics is a fools errand and point to issue after issue that proves it.

What we want for is leadership. Principled leadership. If you figure maybe 1/2 of Republicans actually are for limited government and, believe it or not, a good portion of D's are as well, they simply don't trust the GOP and think our priorities are wrong, and you look at 100,000,000 voters who ain't gonna bother with a bunch of hypocrites, THAT is where my faith lies.

And they are not going to be appealed to by no Mitt or McCain or Ryan or Boehner. A Ron Paul would wipe the floor up with an Obama and make him look like the statist reactionary he is but, more libertarian types can NOT get anywhere in the GOP primaries because they oppose the military/industrial complex and are constitutional on social issues.

It's there to be had and the GOP, as it fades into histories pages is NOT going to be replaced by a more pro government group. We already have one of them and one is enough.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I know in my bones we are a right of center nation, well right actually. Issue after issue. 100,000,000 people who DO NOT vote. They could ensure 'give me!' by voting left. It's their for the taking. They don't believe in it. However, they do not believe in the GOP either. You know 'em. They think worrying about politics is a fools errand and point to issue after issue that proves it.

What we want for is leadership. Principled leadership. If you figure maybe 1/2 of Republicans actually are for limited government and, believe it or not, a good portion of D's are as well, they simply don't trust the GOP and think our priorities are wrong, and you look at 100,000,000 voters who ain't gonna bother with a bunch of hypocrites, THAT is where my faith lies.

And they are not going to be appealed to by no Mitt or McCain or Ryan or Boehner. A Ron Paul would wipe the floor up with an Obama and make him look like the statist reactionary he is but, more libertarian types can NOT get anywhere in the GOP primaries because they oppose the military/industrial complex and are constitutional on social issues.

It's there to be had and the GOP, as it fades into histories pages is NOT going to be replaced by a more pro government group. We already have one of them and one is enough.

You make an excellent case, but the only thing we have to go on is not what we feel in our bones; all we have to go on is results.

But given you are right (correct), how do we break the paradigm? How do you even begin to get 100mil people to get out there, get passionate about their country, and vote their conscience? The establishment own our government, they own the money, they own the big voice, and they own the voters. How does this mold get broken?