Conservative's View On NRA's Statement

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"The National Rifle Association executive director Wayne LaPierre spoke in Washington, DC, Friday to deliver a statement in response to the Newtown shootings.

In the speech, LaPierre said that the violent films and video games influenced killers and called for Congress to pass a law that would put armed officers in every school. "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," LaPierre said.

His comments were immediately met by the expected liberal backlash, but some top conservative figures also found his comments ill-timed.

RedState.com editor-in-chief and radio show host Erick Erickson tweeted:
Erick Erickson @EWErickson While I agree with the NRA and LaPierre's points in substance, I'm not sure this presser was good in style a week after Newtown.

Senior contributor to the Daily Caller, Matt K Lewis, said "snarky media types" are part of the problem and was disatisfied with LaPierre's comments: Matt K. Lewis @mattklewis Having said that, I don't think this presser was wise. And if you do it, you ought to be willing to take questions.

Conservative commentators – including New York Post columnist and Commentary magazine editor, John Podhoretz – felt LaPierre's rhetoric increased the political divide on gun crime discussions. John Podhoretz @jpodhoretz The awful part of what LaPierre just did is until he spoke there was nothing uncontroversial about having security at schools.

Republican strategist John Weaver called the NRA's response a "train wreck" and "tone deaf". John Weaver @JWGOP NRA response predictable, though breathtaking in its nonsense. Troubling is the silence from GOP leaders, other than @JoeNBC & few others."

Toxick

Splat
Pretty sure conservatives agree with LaPierre.
Gun free zones are a idiots idea of safety

Here's a real deterrant: DOUBLE the fines if someone is caught weilding a gun in a gun-free zone.

If that doesn't work... TRIPLE FINES!

You betcha that'll work, I'll tell ya what.