An opinion on gun control

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I didn’t want to post about this, because frankly, it is exhausting. I’ve been having this exact same argument for my entire adult life. It is not an exaggeration when I say that I know pretty much exactly every single thing an anti-gun person can say. I’ve heard it over and over, the same old tired stuff, trotted out every single time there is a tragedy on the news that can be milked. Yet, I got sucked in, and I’ve spent the last few days arguing with people who either mean well but are uninformed about gun laws and how guns actually work (who I don’t mind at all), or the willfully ignorant (who I do mind), or the obnoxiously stupid who are completely incapable of any critical thinking deeper than a Facebook meme (them, I can’t stand).

Today’s blog post is going to be aimed at the first group. I am going to try to go through everything I’ve heard over the last few days, and try to break it down from my perspective. My goal tonight is to write something that my regular readers will be able to share with their friends who may not be as familiar with how mass shootings or gun control laws work.
An opinion on gun control « Monster Hunter Nation

A bit long, but shuts up the liberal, emotionally run clowns who post here. With facts. Good read.

BOP

No it doesn't. Remember the mentality with which you're dealing with:
But talking to gun control advocates is like talking to five year-olds. Tell a five-year-old it's time for bed, and he'll say "No." Ask why not, and he'll say "because." Likewise, I've told a few gun control advocates about Myrick-telling them how he would have saved more kids had it not been for gun laws-and they've said "guns kill." Or, "we have too many guns." Or, "Woodham killed his victims with a gun."

At which point I say, "Woodham violated several gun laws by having his gun on campus. The law did nothing to deter him, but plenty to deter the man who set out to stop the killings." To which a gun controller replied: "But guns kill."

Sucked in and trapped by this bizarre logic, I attempted to address it. I said: "But Joel Myrick's gun didn't kill. Rather, it allowed children, including the deranged killer, to live."

"Yeah, but all of these school shootings are done by guns," he told me.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Let's assume liberals are smart, or at the least liberal leaders are smart... Prior to schools we had'he went postal' when murders happened in gun free post offices. Wouldn't they have to know there would be similar results making schools and college campuses gun free zones? I'd like to think this is unthinkable, but worse things have happened in World history, and don't think all liberals would do this, but that most are bring manipulated.

Sooooo liberal leadership makes schools gun free zones KNOWING the mentally ill will see the opportunity presnted to them.... Liberals just sit in wait, knowing it will happen, maybe today maybe tomorrow maybe in 5 years, but it WILL happen. I would say this is partly the case with Obama, they knew something like this would happen during his term they just had to wait, why he's done nothing as far as gun control until now, it's all about timing.

Could it be possible that all of this is intentional?

Could a leader, any leader, be capable of sacrificing children, OUR children, to further their agenda?

Or at the least manipulating a tragedy, and their followers emotions to further their agenda? Smart as my liberal friends are, they can still be manipulated, as we all can be.

And let's not forget, all these people making our schools gun free zones, all their kids go to schools with a lot of guns in them and around them.... I'm sure they, and their kids, feel safe and secure every day.

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Liberals actually believe the problem is society instead of the individual. They abhor the concept that America is comprised of individuals and not a homogenous society.
They want America to be an ant farm.
A gun free zone would work in an ant farm society.

BOP

I love this quote from your article:
"I don’t know if many of you realize this, but Barack Obama is personally responsible for more gun sales, and especially first time gun purchases, than anyone in history. When I owned my gun store, we had a picture of him on the wall and a caption beneath it which said SALESMAN OF THE YEAR."

tommyjo

Liberals actually believe the problem is society instead of the individual. They abhor the concept that America is comprised of individuals and not a homogenous society.

Umm...did you read the NRA statement yesterday?

Who did they blame? society. 6 paragraphs blaming video games, tv, movies, the media...so your conservative side wants its own ant farm...just with a different set of rules for the ants.

Oh BTW...on cops in the schools programs...what a ridiculous suggestion. How can any conservative get behind such a notion?

in 2014 there will be 40 buildings housing students in Charles Co.

As best I can tell from the Charles County website the minimum salary for a safety officer is about $60,000.

1 officer per school increases the school budget by $2,400,000. That's just salary, no healt insurance, no pension cost...nothing else. That also doesn't include the excess personel needed to cover vacation and sick time.

1 officer per school can not protect a building the size of a high school.

So what would a reasonable budget expense be? $2.75M? $3M?

You all are the same people who scream like stuck pigs at the mere mention of ANY govt spending...how much will your property taxes need to rise to cover the cost of putting an armed officer in every school?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

1 armed person in the school can respond to an attacker in seconds.
Good response time for the police will be 5 minutes. Historically these people commit suicide as soon as they're confronted with armed resistance

Unarmed teachers and administrators tried to stop the shooter in CT, all they did was add to the body count.

I think the answer it to allow the people already there to be allowed to defend themselves

Chris0nllyn

Who did they blame? society. 6 paragraphs blaming video games, tv, movies, the media...so your conservative side wants its own ant farm...just with a different set of rules for the ants.

Oh BTW...on cops in the schools programs...what a ridiculous suggestion. How can any conservative get behind such a notion?

As best I can tell from the Charles County website the minimum salary for a safety officer is about $60,000.

1 officer per school increases the school budget by $2,400,000. That's just salary, no healt insurance, no pension cost...nothing else. That also doesn't include the excess personel needed to cover vacation and sick time.

You all are the same people who scream like stuck pigs at the mere mention of ANY govt spending...how much will your property taxes need to rise to cover the cost of putting an armed officer in every school?

Maybe you missed this part?

Obama zeroed out school emergency planning grants in last year's budget, and scrapped "Secure Our Schools" policing grants in next year's budget.

If he want's to cry on camera, the least he could do is not be a hypocrite when it comes to children's safety.

Let's not forget the children he's killed in drone strikes in Pakistan...

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

Doesn't Chuck County already have Sheriffs at the schools? I thought at least the High Schools did. I think if teachers wanted to volunteer for CCW permits they could be useful and not add to the cost.

thatguy

Wirelessly posted

itsbob said:
Let's assume liberals are smart, or at the least liberal leaders are smart... Prior to schools we had'he went postal' when murders happened in gun free post offices. Wouldn't they have to know there would be similar results making schools and college campuses gun free zones? I'd like to think this is unthinkable, but worse things have happened in World history, and don't think all liberals would do this, but that most are bring manipulated.

Sooooo liberal leadership makes schools gun free zones KNOWING the mentally ill will see the opportunity presnted to them.... Liberals just sit in wait, knowing it will happen, maybe today maybe tomorrow maybe in 5 years, but it WILL happen. I would say this is partly the case with Obama, they knew something like this would happen during his term they just had to wait, why he's done nothing as far as gun control until now, it's all about timing.

Could a leader, any leader, be capable of sacrificing children, OUR children, to further their agenda?

Or at the least manipulating a tragedy, and their followers emotions to further their agenda? Smart as my liberal friends are, they can still be manipulated, as we all can be.

And let's not forget, all these people making our schools gun free zones, all their kids go to schools with a lot of guns in them and around them.... I'm sure they, and their kids, feel safe and secure every day.

That's about on par with the idea that bush orchestrated 9/11. Congrats, where do I nominate you for tin foil hat of the year award?

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
An opinion on gun control « Monster Hunter Nation

A bit long, but shuts up the liberal, emotionally run clowns who post here. With facts. Good read.

You weren't kidding when you said it was a very long read. I read most of it (90% and will finish it later). It is a very good read.

So, as a teacher, I am now considering the possibility of conealed carry. The only problem is that Maryland will not let me do it. And I STILL decry the necessity of even thinking about it, let alone considering it. But I watched my babies this past week as they made gingerbread houses (in Victoria Soto's plans for the day of the shooting), as they enjoyed their roller-skating unit in PE, as they sang in the choral concert, and I realized that I would do whatever it takes to keep them safe, even if that means carrying a gun in an elementary school. And that's still just a sad, sorry thing....

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

So instead of putting sherrif detachments in shopping centers and stand alone buildings, why not take over a classroom and work out of there?

bcp

In My Opinion
The last thing a liberal wants if for America to be an ant farm.
You see, in an ant farm every ant has a job and he/she does it. No and sits on their ass all day and gains from the labor of the others.

If we were an ant farm, the cry for doing your fair share would not be about the rich paying an even greater percentage of the bills, but instead, doing your fair share would mean that the welfare crowd actually get off their ass and do something constructive for the good of all.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Let's assume liberals are smart, or at the least liberal leaders are smart...

Of course they are smart and of course this is intentional. That should NOT be news to anyone. Machiavelli was not a fictional character. The question is one of intent, the agenda, and THAT is where the issue lies.

If you, or I believe, honestly, that X policy is better for the society over time, it's worth something. Is saving 100 kids worth 99 dead ones? One dead one? Modern liberals believe in the power of government. I have NO doubt that Obama believes that there WILL be less kids killed in school by guns if we have less, not more, guns. He is, of course, correct but, is that the point, how they get murdered?

George Bush believed however many dead GI's and Marines was worth it to do whatever it is he thought would happen in Iraq. Save millions of US citizens? 10's of millions? We, on the right, don't doubt his motives and intentions. Many still don't doubt his methods. A thinking mind easily comes to the recognition that there was probably better, much better, ways to accomplish the goal. Whatever it was. Is it possible that Bush wanted the war knowing he had no intentions of winning it and very simply wanted a war? Did he really believe all that stood between Iraq and Jeffersonian democracy was Saddam? Any rationale thought about how he went about it, meant the rise of Iran in power and influence. Did Bush mean for the Middle East to become an even worse mess? We don't even allow debate over what Bush's motives were on our side.

We can just sit here and question everything about Obama, his motive, his intentions but, that takes us one of three places; A, he, the left, are simply, as you are suggesting, doing the math, trading some dead kids for what they think will save more over time or, B, using dead kids to form a more totalitarian government that controls for controls sake with no regard for the body count, the Stalin method for lack of a better term, or, C, he, they, really don't give a crap and it's all about personal gain.

What do we even want in our government??? I mean, Obama did get re-elected. He hasn't changed.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
"A bit long"? That is like a freaking magazine article, like 15 pages long.

I guess most of us are used to reading newspaper articles that aren't very long. I'm used to reading books so this didn't seem that long. But I did want to warn forumites that the essay was a bit longer than what they were used to reading.

I was trying to get some discussion on the merits of the ideas presented.

dustin

UAIOE
How about moving some of the budget for TSA agents to school security?

Oh wait that would mean mass murder would have to be identifed as domestic terrorism... can't have that can we?

daileyck1

The last thing a liberal wants if for America to be an ant farm.
You see, in an ant farm every ant has a job and he/she does it. No and sits on their ass all day and gains from the labor of the others.

If we were an ant farm, the cry for doing your fair share would not be about the rich paying an even greater percentage of the bills, but instead, doing your fair share would mean that the welfare crowd actually get off their ass and do something constructive for the good of all.

very stupid and ignorant post

Last edited: