Violent Britain

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
When it comes to the question of violent crime, the British are fairly smug. Why? Because, well, there’s less of it in Britain than in America. Bunch of cowboys over there, right?

Wrong. Per the Daily Mail:
Britain’s violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed.

Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa – widely considered one of the world’s most dangerous countries.

The Tories said Labour had presided over a decade of spiralling violence.

In the decade following the party’s election in 1997, the number of recorded violent attacks soared by 77 per cent to 1.158million – or more than two every minute.
According to the Mail, Britons suffer 1,158,957 violent crimes per year, which works out at 2,034 per 100,000 residents. By contrast the number in notoriously violent South Africa is 1,609 per 100,000.

The U.S., meanwhile, has a rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, which is lower than France’s, at 504; Finland’s, at 738; Sweden’s, at 1123; and Canada’s at 935.
Violent Britain - By Charles C. W. Cooke - The Corner - National Review Online

So much for that liberal argument for gun confiscation.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss

Keep in mind the British definition of "violent crime" is much broader than ours is. If you size up British crime stats using the Universal Crime Report standard of "violent crime", you will see that in fact Britain actually has much lower stats.

The case for gun ownership is already well-established and backed up by the Supreme Court of the Unites States. Let's not make our pro-gun crowd look bad by citing crap stats from the Daily Fail.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Keep in mind the British definition of "violent crime" is much broader than ours is. If you size up British crime stats using the Universal Crime Report standard of "violent crime", you will see that in fact Britain actually has much lower stats.

The case for gun ownership is already well-established and backed up by the Supreme Court of the Unites States. Let's not make our pro-gun crowd look bad by citing crap stats from the Daily Fail.

Violent crime as measured by the British Crime Survey includes:

• assault with minor injury;
  • assault with no injury;
  • wounding; and
  • robbery.
In Part I, the UCR indexes reported incidents in two categories: violent and property crimes. Aggravated assault, forcible rape, murder, and robbery are classified as violent crimes.

Not so different from what I see. If you have a different source other than the BCS and UCR stats, I'd appreciate a link(s) please.

I made a post earlier regarding gun control that thoroughly debunks liberal arguments. Long read but well worth the time.

http://forums.somd.com/politics/261897-opinion-gun-control.html

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss

• wounding; and
  • robbery.
In Part I, the UCR indexes reported incidents in two categories: violent and property crimes. Aggravated assault, forcible rape, murder, and robbery are classified as violent crimes.

Not so different from what I see. If you have a different source other than the BCS and UCR stats, I'd appreciate a link(s) please.

I made a post earlier regarding gun control that thoroughly debunks liberal arguments. Long read but well worth the time.

http://forums.somd.com/politics/261897-opinion-gun-control.html

Exactly. UCR only includes ag. assault as violent crime. BCR includes assault with minor injury and assault with no injury and "wounding" as violent crime.

Not so different from what you see? Hmm. OK. I'll let you have that.

:confused:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Exactly. UCR only includes ag. assault as violent crime. BCR includes assault with minor injury and assault with no injury and "wounding" as violent crime.

Not so different from what you see? Hmm. OK. I'll let you have that.

:confused:

UCR includes more than aggravated assault. "Aggravated assault, forcible rape, murder, and robbery are classified as violent crimes."

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over this. Believe whatever you want.

:buddies:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Yes, best to bow out now when you know you're outmatched.

You know I had a hard time believing the original post also and then you chimed in. I though that it would lead to some direct comparison numbers, unfortunately you fizzled, I guess I'm going to assume his numbers are correct.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
You know I had a hard time believing the original post also and then you chimed in. I though that it would lead to some direct comparison numbers, unfortunately you fizzled, I guess I'm going to assume his numbers are correct.

Why don't you just do some research for yourself? I don't give handouts. I've lead the horse to water. I can't make it drink.

Let me give you a hint. His absolute numbers are correct. The difference is how Britain classifies their crimes. As has been stated. I don't see what is so hard to understand.

I am not advocating for "gun control", not in the least. The article is crap and deserves to be called out as such. Nothing more than that. It's been lambasted at least a dozen times that I'm aware of in the two years it's been circulating.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why don't you just do some research for yourself? I don't give handouts. I've lead the horse to water. I can't make it drink.

Let me give you a hint. His absolute numbers are correct. The difference is how Britain classifies their crimes. As has been stated. I don't see what is so hard to understand.

I am not advocating for "gun control", not in the least. The article is crap and deserves to be called out as such. Nothing more than that. It's been lambasted at least a dozen times that I'm aware of in the two years it's been circulating.
You lie, prove otherwise.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
UCR only includes ag. assault as violent crime.

UCR includes more than aggravated assault. "Aggravated assault, forcible rape, murder, and robbery are classified as violent crimes."

Fact is they classify their crimes differently then we do.Smaller crimes mean more to them .

• wounding; and
  • robbery.l
I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make it think. Spelled it out for you. Draw your own conclusions.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I have. I am sure you are smart enough to realize that certain realities exist even if you haven't been convinced of them.

Then again, maybe not.

If you drop a unsupported statement in a thread and then want everyone to research to prove you right, I'm going to assume you're wrong and move on. Sooner or later you'll figure out how to make a post that makes people take what you've said seriously.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
If you drop a unsupported statement in a thread and then want everyone to research to prove you right, I'm going to assume you're wrong and move on. Sooner or later you'll figure out how to make a post that makes people take what you've said seriously.

You see that's the thing. My statement isn't unsupported. cwo_ghwebb's own words support my statement fully. He doesn't see it, and you don't either. So sad.

Then again, reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit 'round these here parts, so I'm not really surprised. :drummer:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
You see that's the thing. My statement isn't unsupported. cwo_ghwebb's own words support my statement fully. He doesn't see it, and you don't either. So sad.

Then again, reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit 'round these here parts, so I'm not really surprised. :drummer:

A circle is really a square. Prove me right. Your definition of intelligence. :sarcasm:

You really enjoy insulting folks as if most of us are stupid. Most aren't fool.

원은 정말 광장입니다

Yes, my second language.

圆是一个真正的方

Yes, my third language.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
A circle is really a square. Prove me right. Your definition of intelligence. :sarcasm:

You really enjoy insulting folks as if most of us are stupid. Most aren't fool.

원은 정말 광장입니다

Yes, my second language.

圆是一个真正的方

Yes, my third language.

Congratulations. It really is too bad, then, that you are incapable of comprehending the words you have written.

Like I said, the reality exists whether you accept it or not. The knowledge is there for the taking.