A question about objectifying women

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I saw a Web site by a group (can't remember the name) that rates representation of women in magazine ads. The group gives low marks to ads that show women only as sex objects and ads where all the women are Calista Flockhart/Kate Moss/heroin addict thin. High marks went to ads that showed women of all sizes and ads that showed women as active, not as fantasy figures.

While I appreciate the group's point about promoting impossibly thin as the ideal, I'm having a hard time processing the rest of it.

I certainly agree that a woman's physical apperance has nothing to do with her intelligence and her worth as an individual. (The same ought to go for men.) But I can't agree that men aren't able to appreciate a woman's beauty AND treat her as a human being. Why should the two be mutually exclusive? Should I apologize for finding a sexy woman to be sexy? Women don't seem to get into trouble when they salivate over hunks. Am I overreacting, or is the group overreacting?

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Tonio
Should I apologize for finding a sexy woman to be sexy?
Nope! Just keep it to yourself when the wife's around. :wink:

Hessian

I believe Seinfeld's advice was that it was like looking at the sun...you just don't stare too long!

A friend of mine said that the caution of children in the store still applies: Look, but you MAY NOT TOUCH!

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Hessian

A friend of mine said that the caution of children in the store still applies: Look, but you MAY NOT TOUCH!

What about making a 2 year old watch their mouth in the store? What do you do when your kid sees a lady with a mole on her face and says very loudly "That lady has a mole." ?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by pixiegirl
What about making a 2 year old watch their mouth in the store? What do you do when your kid sees a lady with a mole on her face and says very loudly "That lady has a mole." ?

I can do ya one better. My 7 year old snob was walking through McKays with me and just had to state "there's some butt ugly people in here tonight". :yikes:

Just thought I'd share. :lol:

As far as objectifying women, I don't see where admiring a nice looking female is objectifying? :shrug: That's just normal. I do believe that obsessing over naked or half naked women on tv or magazines and setting your standards of what a woman "should" look like from those examples is retarded and delusional. We'd all look that good if it were our jobs to look that good. Hours upon hours with a personal trainer and thousands of dollars in plastic surgery could turn all of us ladies into Maxim models. :lol: Just watch an episode of the Swan. :bubble:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Christy
I can do ya one better. My 7 year old snob was walking through McKays with me and just had to state "there's some butt ugly people in here tonight". :yikes:
Hilarious! Sounds like something my little angels would say. :killingme

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Christy
Hours upon hours with a personal trainer and thousands of dollars in plastic surgery could turn all of us ladies into Maxim models. :lol: Just watch an episode of the Swan. :bubble:

wishful thinking. Some are just to much work to even deal with. Look at Michael Jackson. :wink: