Leonardtown Ford

chuckster

IMFUBARED
So Leonardtown Ford is offering $3000. minimum trade for any car or truck the you can drive in, push in or tow in, towards the purchase of a used car from their lot. They also state in their ad that low or no credit is no problem.......... HA!!!
Being the great Dad that I am, I thought that I would give my daughter a truck of mine that runs to trade in on a car for herself. The salesman had no problem with that. Just had to sign it over to Leonardtown Ford. Great!
Went there to check out their selection of cars and wrote down some facts and figures about some of the cars/trucks that I thought my daughter might like. When I got home I did a Kelly Blue Book search on these and guess what I found? Thats right boys and girls ,,,, the prices on the used cars have been inflated between $2000. and $3000. then discounted down to the suggested sell price found in Kelly.
I then asked if the $3000. trade in would cover the down payment and was told that she would have to come up with $1600. plus the truck. Also because she was a new buyer with low credit level he would need a co-signer........ Guess I will go to another dealer

K

Kain99

From the sound of that ordeal I would run screaming to another dealer. Sorry Chuckster. :frown:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Sorry to hear about that. I know someone there that reads these boards and may be able to help you. Send me a PM if you want the info. I've never heard anything but good things about Leonardtown Ford and have had great help when looking for a car that I didn't even purchase there.

Pete

Repete
It is not just Leonardtown Ford, it's almost all dealers. they have their standard trick and practices. It is a pure numbers deal, nothing mystical or magic about it. You will NEVER beat them no matter what anyone says. They do not stay in business my losing money or even making $100 over invoice like they like to claim, "man we are only making $100 on this deal you got us good."

It is a business, numbers do not lie and you will never get over on them.

C

czygvtwkr

A little known fact dealers end up paying less than invoice for just about every car on their lot if you count factory to dealer incentives.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
A little known fact dealers end up paying less than invoice for just about every car on their lot if you count factory to dealer incentives.
It's called a holdback and it is typically 1.5% of the MSRP. They get it if they sell the car in a predetermined time.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Sorry to hear of your misfortunes at L'town Ford. I had a great experience there when I purchased my Explorer last fall.

I had purchased an After-Market paint sealer on the E, and after one treatment, I didn't see nor feel a difference in the paint surface. Even after a second treatment, same thing.

After I requested a refund (I believe the sealant application was $350.00), a check was in my hand within a few days.

Granted, I probably did get jipped on the actual purchase price, but I should have dealt with them more aggressively. Sadly, I'm just not a negotiator. :sad:

Again, sorry that you didn't have a good experience.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
What's everyone's opinion on Carmax?
As I understand it, they will buy your car in a completely separate transaction than your purchase, eliminating the need to haggle and worry over whether you're getting a good deal.

They also claim they will even buy your car and you don't have to buy one of theirs.

I've only met one person who bought thru them and he swears on how great they are.

C

czygvtwkr

I checked em out a couple years ago, it wasn't any better than a more local dealership I went to .

I had a very good experience at Bayside in Prince Frederick.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by cariblue
I just have to say, I love Leondardtown Ford. We got a good deal on trade in, good deal on the vehicle we bought, and we've had excellent service from them. I wouldn't do business with another dealership in the county.

Well I purchased 3 new vehicles there 2 trucks and 1 car but they were new. This is just a rip-off advertising game they are playing with their used cars and their credit statements. The next e mail will be to the Ford Motor Corp about what they are doing.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by sleuth14
What's everyone's opinion on Carmax?
As I understand it, they will buy your car in a completely separate transaction than your purchase, eliminating the need to haggle and worry over whether you're getting a good deal.

They also claim they will even buy your car and you don't have to buy one of theirs.

I've only met one person who bought thru them and he swears on how great they are.
Sleuth,

Carmax all the way! :yay: I bought my first brand new car there and it was a great experience. No negotiating and no pushy salesmen.

Since then my brother has purchased a Maxima from there. Initially he didn't have a ride there to pick up the car, so the salesman drove all the way to the Park to pick him up and seal the deal. My mom has also purchased a Highlander from there. I haven't heard any complaints from either one of them. I highly recommend them!

D

darkriver4362

Originally posted by ememdee19
Sleuth,

Carmax all the way! :yay: I bought my first brand new car there and it was a great experience. No negotiating and no pushy salesmen.

Since then my brother has purchased a Maxima from there. Initially he didn't have a ride there to pick up the car, so the salesman drove all the way to the Park to pick him up and seal the deal. My mom has also purchased a Highlander from there. I haven't heard any complaints from either one of them. I highly recommend them!

G/f and her sister got their cars from Carmax.I went with both of them to pick them out. Everything ememdee said is true and they have better prices than I have seen down in SOMD. When ever I get a different car it will be from there also. Another recommendation for them :yay:

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
I went to Leonardtown Ford yesterday just to browse the used car lot. Got a kick out of the "On Sale" tag hanging from the mirror...

WAS $26232

NOW $23232

....and in fine print below the new price...

"with $3,000 down"

Let me check the math....$23,232 + $3,000 down = original price of $26,232.......

:confused:

So....what the H-E-double toohpicks is on sale?

Elle

Happy Camper!
When we went looking for a used truck for hubby back in October we looked there and the selection left a lot to be desired and on what they did have the prices looked very inflated without even looking at blue book value.

We then went to the Toyota place in Lex. Park and ended up buying him a 98 ford 150 with lots of added on extras for under blue book value and they gave us $2,000 on his ragged out camero that LF was only going to give us $500 for.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by FancyBelle
My mom got a GREAT deal from Enterprise Rent A Car. They sell their rentals after two years. Low mileage,clean and a great price. Wonderful people to deal with. Go here...
http://www.enterprise.com/carsales/home.do

Gotta be careful with buying rental cars. When customers have a rental car, they generally don't take care of it while driving. You may get one that's more banged up than you anticipated.

C

czygvtwkr

Originally posted by sleuth14
Gotta be careful with buying rental cars. When customers have a rental car, they generally don't take care of it while driving. You may get one that's more banged up than you anticipated.

You should see what I did to a rental when I was in San Diego, I ran over a metal tool box that was in the highway, it got stuck under the car sparks going everywhere, couldnt dislodge it so I drove the car over a yellow concrete parking lot divider at about 15 mph and that did the job.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
You should see what I did to a rental when I was in San Diego, I ran over a metal tool box that was in the highway, it got stuck under the car sparks going everywhere, couldnt dislodge it so I drove the car over a yellow concrete parking lot divider at about 15 mph and that did the job.

:yikes:

E

ez_one20690

Chuckster,

My name is Steve Pyles and I am the Manager at Leonardtown Ford. I would like to address your concerns. If you like, you are more then welcome to call me at 301-475-3111 or e-mail me at steve.pyles@dealeremail.com

First, Kelly Blue Book states, right on the 1st page of EVERY inquirery, that, and I quote, "The Kelly Blue Book Sugested Retail Value represents the amount an auto dealer MIGHT ask for a specific vehicle. This is a starting point for negotiation, therefore the actual sale price WILL vary. Popularity, condition, warranty, color and local market conditions will be factors in determining the final price."

As for the reason for the co-signer, Leonardtown Ford uses literally 100's of lending institutions. If lending was up to us individually, we would approve EVERYBODY. But, unfortunately, we can only do what the lending insitution says. There is an issue with her credit, either age or lack of credit to the extent that the lending institution will take the risk, but needed more cash down to assume that risk.

We WERE able to get the financing done, it was a stipulation of the bank that warranted a co-signer for your daughter. They HAVE to protect themselves. But let me reinstate, WE WERE ABLE TO GET THE LOAN DONE.

Market Values have been extremely high for the last 6 months or so. There are many vehicle that are marked UNDER Kelly Blue Book values on our lot as well.

I will be happy to talk to you or meet you here at your convience.

Thanks,
Steve