Teacher's absence in St. Mary's Co?????

Is there a limit to how many days a teacher in St. Mary's Co can be absent? My son's teacher is absent very often. I've seen her shopping in the mall on school days. I asked her why she was out and she did a "fake cough" and smiled at me and said she was sick. She was out the week before Xmas and now she's out this week. If I missed this much time at my job I'd be quickly disciplined and replaced !

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Is there a limit to how many days a teacher in St. Mary's Co can be absent? My son's teacher is absent very often. I've seen her shopping in the mall on school days. I asked her why she was out and she did a "fake cough" and smiled at me and said she was sick. She was out the week before Xmas and now she's out this week. If I missed this much time at my job I'd be quickly disciplined and replaced !

My son's teacher did that last year but she was getting ready to retire and I guess was using up all her leave she accumulated. I found it quite ironic that she could miss so many days but I got a letter from the school saying my son was up for retention because he missed two weeks of school due to being in the hospital for a ruptured appendix.

drivingdaisy

I am really not trying to be mean, but it isn't really any of your business why she is out. There could be many reasons. It is between her and her boss. And just like any job teachers have a certain amount of paid time off (sick or personal) and can also take off unpaid time if needed. Since you don't know why she is out, maybe you shouldn't be so judgmental about it.

It's been brought to our attention that my son's class is behind the other classes at the school. I'd be fired if I pulled this. Prehaps she should take a leave of absence.

It's my business because my son's education is being compromised.

I agree with you that your son's education is being compromised by having substitutes fill in so often. Nothing you can do about the teacher, but perhaps earlier in the year you could have insisted on a change in class. Not sure you can do anything about it at this point in the school year though... only 4 months left.

PrepH4U

Wow she has taken a whole 2 weeks off this year! I am sure she has earned it and has leave on the books. So you do not receive vacation or sick leave where you work?

terbear1225

if you had a job where you would not be compensated for your accumlated leave when you retire/ quit what would you do? Would you just lose those days or would you try to use them?

(not necessarily trying to defend this particular teacher, I would feel guilty leaving my students to be honest)

drivingdaisy

How do you know his class is behind or that his education is being compromised by having a substitute. There are lots of reasons someone might be out of work and still be able to shop... pink eye-not allowed in school for 48 hours after medicating, but doesn't make you feel bad enough to necessarily stay home. Maybe she has a sick family member that has needed some care recently. Or maybe she is just having a sweet time playing hookey. Either way it isn't you business to know why. It is up to her employer to make sure she is meeting the regulations set up by the school for her absence.

aubriana

Wow she has taken a whole 2 weeks off this year! I am sure she has earned it and has leave on the books. So you do not receive vacation or sick leave where you work?

I get leave where I work, but I don't get my summers off. Just saying...

I get leave where I work, but I don't get my summers off. Just saying...
Teachers don't get summers "off". They are out of work for the summer. Their pay is reduced during the year to give them a paycheck over the summer. You know what every teacher I know does over the summer? Takes classes to make them a better teacher (Doctorate degree) and/or lesson planning for the next year.

laynpipe

Really ? The teachers I know lounge all summer. Heck, one worked at a liquor store a few summers before leaving teaching to become Director of Transportation at the BOE while in his 20's.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

You're lucky we still have teachers that are willing to show up even half the time. Being a teacher is like being on the front lines.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
if you had a job where you would not be compensated for your accumlated leave when you retire/ quit what would you do? Would you just lose those days or would you try to use them?

(not necessarily trying to defend this particular teacher, I would feel guilty leaving my students to be honest)
People are given too much leave to begin with. Government employees especially. The world won't end if you're only gone 2-3 weeks a year.

I went back though my calendar. She missed 5 days in september, 4 days in October and 5 days in November, then a week in December.