Crepe Myrtle

acommondisaster

I've got a Crepe Myrtle (multi-trunk) - probably 30 feet tall that has never bloomed and it's been pretty much neglected - it's been in a shady spot all these years, which is probably why it hasn't bloomed. The deep shade it was in is gone now that a house was built next door, so it's getting more light. I was thinking we should lop it off at about the 5 foot level so that it branches out a bit more. From what I've read, blooms show up on new growth - so I'm hoping that'll stimulate some blooms as well.

Is it too late in the year to trim it up? Will it possibly bloom more if we trim it up? I was thinking that since Sunday is supposed to be warm, that might be a good day to do it?

hoffmaster

dig around it and put some bone meal near the roots

I've got a Crepe Myrtle (multi-trunk) - probably 30 feet tall that has never bloomed and it's been pretty much neglected - it's been in a shady spot all these years, which is probably why it hasn't bloomed. The deep shade it was in is gone now that a house was built next door, so it's getting more light. I was thinking we should lop it off at about the 5 foot level so that it branches out a bit more. From what I've read, blooms show up on new growth - so I'm hoping that'll stimulate some blooms as well.

Is it too late in the year to trim it up? Will it possibly bloom more if we trim it up? I was thinking that since Sunday is supposed to be warm, that might be a good day to do it?

The Leonardtown maintenance crew just pruned all the town crepe myrtles last week. You should do a drive through Leonardtown square and see what they did. It looks like they murdered the trees but they thrive and bloom each year so they must know what they are doing. I'm going to do mine this weekend.

bcp

In My Opinion
Dont prune it this weekend.
When you prune them, the new growth starts almost right away.
If there is any new growth (due to the warm weather we are having right now, it can kill the new growth.
wait till its cold, and will stay that way for a bit.
or, actually the best time is in early spring when growth just starts on it. that way there is no chance of freeze damage.

Call up to Homestead Gardens, Nobody does the Crepe Myrtle better than they do. 410-798-5000, they will be more than happy to walk you through the proper ways to prune.

one more thing. Make sure to try and follow the 1/3 rule. dont prune more than 1/3 of any of the growth during one season. If you want to cut it back and reshape it, do it over a couple seasons instead of all at once.

Last edited:
Dont prune it this weekend.
When you prune them, the new growth starts almost right away.
If there is any new growth (due to the warm weather we are having right now, it can kill the new growth.
wait till its cold, and will stay that way for a bit.
or, actually the best time is in early spring when growth just starts on it. that way there is no chance of freeze damage.

Call up to Homestead Gardens, Nobody does the Crepe Myrtle better than they do. 410-798-5000, they will be more than happy to walk you through the proper ways to prune.

one more thing. Make sure to try and follow the 1/3 rule. dont prune more than 1/3 of any of the growth during one season. If you want to cut it back and reshape it, do it over a couple seasons instead of all at once.

Thanks for posting! I always watch what the crew in Leonardtown does and they've already chopped all the trees...:jameo: So I guess I'll wait until Februaryish.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
One of the best resouces for us in our zone...

Crepe Myrtle Pruning Step-by-Step – The Daily South | Your Hub for Southern Culture

Please, please, please do not commit "Crepe Murder" as all of the local governmental entities have their crews or gardeners do -- it is ugly as sin and does create weak branches.

We have 3 of them and other than removing a stray branch here or there, we don't prune. They are all loaded with blooms every year (they get sun) and have beautifully mottled trunks (Natchez variety). Just a suggestion but since the light has changed, you might want to wait through this year to see what happens with the changed light and then prune selectively next year.

acommondisaster

This will be the 2nd summer - I waited to see how it would fare after it started getting more sun but still had no blooms. It's a beautiful shape, but it's entirely too tall and narrow - it's more than 2 stories tall, I'm sure it was searching for sun.

I won't do anything too drastic, but I was hoping I could turn it into something to be enjoyed, rather than just being greenery. So I will feed it and prune it when the weather turns warm for good.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone. I'll have a look to see where Homestead Gardens is and take a ride out that way when it warms up a bit.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
One of the best resouces for us in our zone...

Crepe Myrtle Pruning Step-by-Step – The Daily South | Your Hub for Southern Culture

Please, please, please do not commit "Crepe Murder" as all of the local governmental entities have their crews or gardeners do -- it is ugly as sin and does create weak branches.

We have 3 of them and other than removing a stray branch here or there, we don't prune. They are all loaded with blooms every year (they get sun) and have beautifully mottled trunks (Natchez variety). Just a suggestion but since the light has changed, you might want to wait through this year to see what happens with the changed light and then prune selectively next year.
:yeahthat:

I trimmed all the low hanging branches, and the outliers at the old house (I think more than 12 of them). they were all' slim' to about 8-10 feet.in height then mushroomed out beautifully. Full canopy probably 16-20 feet across, trunk was less than a good sized pine with a full bloom every year.

This was almost 7 years ago when I trimmed them, drive by everyday and they still look just as good.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'll have a look to see where Homestead Gardens is and take a ride out that way when it warms up a bit.

They are an awesome nursery/home good sstore and I have spent many dollars there but everything is top notch and they have very knowledge staff to answer your questions. :yay:

Homestead has two locations - the nearest is in Davidsonville. Take 2/4 north through Calvert County, turn onto 2 where it branches off to go towards Annapolis, make a left onto 424 in Birdsville, and go about 5 miles to where it intersects with 214. Homestead Gardens is on the right.

From their website:

Q.Is Fall a good time to prune back my shrubs and trees?

A.Fall is not the best time to prune these plants, especially plants that are evergreen (they keep their green leaves through winter). These plants keep their leaves for a important reason and removing them in the fall is not a good thing. They continue to conduct photosynthesis and make food all through the dormant winter period. The best time to prune all plants is in the spring. For plants that bloom only in the spring, prune them right after they are through blooming, but do not prune them after mid-July. Plants that bloom only in the summer (crape myrtles, butterfly bushes, etc.), prune back in early spring (March-April).

Garden Supply Nursery Landscaping Annapolis Severna Park Davidsonville | Homestead Gardens, Inc.

bcp

In My Opinion
They are an awesome nursery/home good sstore and I have spent many dollars there but everything is top notch and they have very knowledge staff to answer your questions. :yay:

Homestead has two locations - the nearest is in Davidsonville. Take 2/4 north through Calvert County, turn onto 2 where it branches off to go towards Annapolis, make a left onto 424 in Birdsville, and go about 5 miles to where it intersects with 214. Homestead Gardens is on the right.

From their website:

Garden Supply Nursery Landscaping Annapolis Severna Park Davidsonville | Homestead Gardens, Inc.

Not even sure if they still have their second location operating, they were talking about closing it down.
Now they have the original at the corner of 424/214 and the farms on governors bridge road where they grow their own stock in their 5 acre green house. (full automated)

acommondisaster

I imagine the same sort of advice goes for my azaleas and rhododendrums (sp?), too. Everything was big when we moved here but it looked so beautiful I hated to prune. Now I'm noticing they're all very leggy and not much greenery around the bottom. Last year or two the blooms have not been as pretty. Bonemeal and prune back?

bcp

In My Opinion
I imagine the same sort of advice goes for my azaleas and rhododendrums (sp?), too. Everything was big when we moved here but it looked so beautiful I hated to prune. Now I'm noticing they're all very leggy and not much greenery around the bottom. Last year or two the blooms have not been as pretty. Bonemeal and prune back?

azaleas should be trimmed shortly after blooms fall off, by Summer they already have the buds for next years flowers.
trim them now and they wont bloom.