US Constitution - Little Book - Piers Morgan

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In Debate with Breitbart's Shapiro, CNN's Piers Morgan Calls the Constitution 'Your Little Book'

“You come in here, brandish your little book as if I don’t know what’s in there--”

“My little book? That’s the Constitution of the United States. It’s our founding document, Piers.”

“I know what’s in your Constitution.”

“Do you really?”

That was the climax of a heated debate between Breitbart News Editor-at-Large Ben Shapiro and CNN’s Piers Morgan on live television this evening--one in which Morgan came off much the worse for wear.

Shapiro began by pointing out that for weeks, Morgan had bullied guests who defend the right to bear arms by "standing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook."

“How dare you,” said a rattled Morgan.

“I have seen you do it repeatedly,” Shapiro replied.

He challenged Morgan to explain whether he wanted to ban all guns, not just “assault rifles,” since the vast majority of gun deaths involve ordinary handguns. “Why don’t you care about banning the handguns in Chicago?” Shapiro asked him.

[clip]

Shapiro’s statement is worth quoting in full:

Shapiro: I think the reason that it’s about left and right here is because fundamentally, the right believes that the basis for the Second amendment--and they believe in the Second Amendment--the basis for the Second Amendment is not really about self defense, and it's not about hunting. It's about resistance to government tyranny. That’s what the Founders said, and that’s what the right believes in this country.

Morgan: Which tyranny are you fearing, yourself?

Shapiro: I fear the possibility of a tyranny rising in the country in the next fifty to a hundred years. Let me tell you something, Piers. The fact that my grandparents and great grandparents in Europe didn't fear that is why they're now ashes in Europe. So this kind of leftist revisionist history where there's never any fear of democracy going usurpatious or tyrannical, is just that. It’s fictitious.

SamSpade

This Morgan character is getting nuttier by the day.

He's been backed into an ideological corner. The intelligent thing to do is to admit you're wrong and move on to other areas. The idiotic thing to do is to double down and ramp up the rhetoric until you show that you advocate complete lunatic legislation and have gone off your rocker.

I've argued with people like this - they argue themselves into a corner and I ask "so you're saying you believe (something outrageously ridiculous that a toddler would laugh at it)". And they stiffen, realize they've lost -- and say "yeah, that's right".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Smug English Man - Secure in his own MORAL Superiority because the UK Banned most Private Weapon Ownership

so he is soooo much better than us poor rubes / neanderthals that cling to our guns

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
Perhaps a bit OT for this thread, and I apologize for taking it off the rails... Probably could have been applicable in any of the many threads discussing this.

But why do people see some sort of legislation as the only answer here? Isn't this supposed to be one of those things that we are supposed to change the Constitutional Amendment for if we don't like what it says?

Now I am not saying I fall into that camp, not in the least. I don't see where we need to do anything at all. Life is harsh, bad sh!t happens. It's terrible when it happens -- to anyone not just kids, but anyone. All life is precious.

But if we really want something done wouldn't that be the correct mechanism? Where are the politicians on this? From either party? We seem to think that the status quo is that the left wants to clamp down on our rights, and the right is supposed to protect them, but it seems to me that paradigm is breaking down. NO ONE is stepping up and saying that an emotional reaction is the wrong thing to do here.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
NO ONE is stepping up and saying that an emotional reaction is the wrong thing to do here.

has that not been the point in, pointing out what the left is Trying to do 'More Gun Control Laws' - knee jerk reactions

I told my mom the other day, I would be devastated if my 7 yr old was murdered in this fashion ... but that it is arrogant and selfish to ask others to give up their Rights, so my child MIGHT be Safe ......

of course I would rather see teachers / administrators carrying as well as parents dropping / picking up children ....

as crazy as mentally unstable people are, as word gets around multiple persons @ schools are armed - in various places in a school building - they will go elsewhere and students looking for vengeance - like that boy with the 12g yesterday, might find might damn well find a different way to solve there problems

the problem IMHO, today is not violent video games, but children are not taught the VALUE of life ..... everyone and everything is disposable

and for the record - Brian Wilson on WMAL made that very statement on morning - and also pointed out while horrific, and have high body counts, mass school shootings are not how most children die ........

I would make the analogy of Air Lines - yes 200 - 500 people die when a plane crashes, but how many millions travel every day without incident

how many children go to and from school with NO problems what so ever

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
has that not been the point in, pointing out what the left is Trying to do 'More Gun Control Laws' - knee jerk reactions

Yea, I was thinking more about politicians not saying what needs to be said. The peanut gallery is doing a fine job, of course. I think Larry Gude has pointed out that the GOP are not displaying leadership here, at a time when they are needed most.

But really, why would they? They were silent, for the most part, at 1st Amendment violations of the OWS movement. Set aside for a moment how one may feel about them. The right were silent, again for the most part, with respect to the Patriot act, the NDAA, 4th and 5th Amendment violations.

Why would we expect them to speak up now?

the problem IMHO, today is not violent video games, but children are not taught the VALUE of life ..... everyone and everything is disposable

Yup. Agree completely. I think it's been unraveling for quite sometime too. I go back to the 1960s, a time that was supposed to be redolent of Great Social Change. And from where I stand, the only thing we got out of that is the right for women to murder fetuses. Some great change, right?

Now our government claims the right to murder American citizens without due process. Now I cannot connect those dots with prose, but I think they are awfully close. In other words, no wonder kids don't value life when no one around them does, especially those whom ostensibly have the moral high ground, like our government.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
well I do not put much stock in the GOP's Current Crop of leaders ....... they still want to run 'DEM Lite' against the left

as I told Larry and I will make a sports analogy - we need to start rebuilding the team, from the local level 1st

easier to get a start in Dog Catcher elections .... build on town, then county, then state, finally national .... it will take a generation - well 20 or more yrs to replace these fools at the national level

SamSpade

well I do not put much stock in the GOP's Current Crop of leaders ....... they still want to run 'DEM Lite' against the left

Sadly, because many, many voters want the Dem Regular brand. Romney had his finger on it with the 47%, but maybe it was worded poorly.

You're simply not going to get the vote of the man who tells you to eat your vegetables. You WILL get the vote of the man who is promising free beer.

The American voters have pretty much always been this fickle, but maybe I never noticed it that much, before. Times are different, now. Far too many people depend or rely on government help in too many areas that all you have to do to win an election is promise a little more. All you need to lose an election is hint that you might take it away.

So the GOP is presented with a dilemma - present the nation with a course of action that almost certainly will help the nation but will cost a lot of people some perks that they have come to depend upon but in reality - they ought to get for themselves --- OR -- water it down, so they can get *elected*?

This is the "better a live dog than a dead lion" problem in politics - you can't do a damned thing in Washington if you *never* get elected.

SamSpade

There is a huge problem at the schools - indoctrination of liberal ideals instead of how to think for themselves.

If you don't believe me, read this:

Stomping In Bad Company

A high school teacher in South Carolina is under investigation and has been placed on long-term administrative leave after he allegedly threw an American flag on the floor and stomped on it in front of his students.

Scott Compton, an English teacher at Chapin High school in Chapin, S.C., reprised the unpatriotic deed in three classes over the course of one day…

Stately McDaniel Manor

Saw this in what little I caught on O'Reilly early this morning.

What got me was, according to what was reported, the teacher was asked *WHY* he did it. His response was - he didn't know. This is a *teacher*?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
these people really should live and work as Chinese citizens for a yr .... they might better appreciate the Bill of Rights - or find a new home

philibusters

In Debate with Breitbart's Shapiro, CNN's Piers Morgan Calls the Constitution 'Your Little Book'

“You come in here, brandish your little book as if I don’t know what’s in there--”

“My little book? That’s the Constitution of the United States. It’s our founding document, Piers.”

“I know what’s in your Constitution.”

“Do you really?”

That was the climax of a heated debate between Breitbart News Editor-at-Large Ben Shapiro and CNN’s Piers Morgan on live television this evening--one in which Morgan came off much the worse for wear.

Shapiro began by pointing out that for weeks, Morgan had bullied guests who defend the right to bear arms by "standing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook."

“How dare you,” said a rattled Morgan.

“I have seen you do it repeatedly,” Shapiro replied.

He challenged Morgan to explain whether he wanted to ban all guns, not just “assault rifles,” since the vast majority of gun deaths involve ordinary handguns. “Why don’t you care about banning the handguns in Chicago?” Shapiro asked him.

[clip]

Shapiro’s statement is worth quoting in full:

Shapiro: I think the reason that it’s about left and right here is because fundamentally, the right believes that the basis for the Second amendment--and they believe in the Second Amendment--the basis for the Second Amendment is not really about self defense, and it's not about hunting. It's about resistance to government tyranny. That’s what the Founders said, and that’s what the right believes in this country.

Morgan: Which tyranny are you fearing, yourself?

Shapiro: I fear the possibility of a tyranny rising in the country in the next fifty to a hundred years. Let me tell you something, Piers. The fact that my grandparents and great grandparents in Europe didn't fear that is why they're now ashes in Europe. So this kind of leftist revisionist history where there's never any fear of democracy going usurpatious or tyrannical, is just that. It’s fictitious.

In fairness, it looks like from the picture at the link, that Shapiro may have had a copy of the Constitution in small book form. Kind of like people sometimes distribute the new testament in small book form. Still even if Shapiro did have the Constitution in small book form, it was disrespectful of the Constitution to some degree.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Still even if Shapiro did have the Constitution in small book form, it was disrespectful of the Constitution to some degree.

it is Arrogant and Dismissive - Mr. Smug Brit. thinks he is better that us rubes clinging to our Guns and Bibles ......

Morgan Feels instead of thinking Logically ... he Gov is there to protect him, be does not need to stand up for his rights, he has had them all of his life ........ no one is taking them away from him

I am sure people felt the same under Lenin, then Stalin - until it was too late, then they cowered in their homes waiting to be drug off in the middle of the night and shot by the state

:popcorn:

MMDad

Lem Putt
But if we really want something done wouldn't that be the correct mechanism?

Absolutely. Most people with a lick of common sense don't think that you should be able to go to Walmart and pick up a Stinger missile. But the 2nd does acknowledge our born right to keep and bear arms.

If this had been done right so many years ago, they would have written an amendment to the constitution specifying that the average joe cannot mount a Ma Deuce in the back of his pickup. Instead they just ignored the Constitution. It's been ignored for so long that people don't think twice about totally crapping on it.

MMDad

Lem Putt

No, it's not about video games, but it also isn't that one generation is more deviant than previous ones. Sick MF'ers have been slaughtering innocents since the beginning of recorded history. Just read the Bible, where one guy wiped out a quarter of the entire world population.

The ONLY thing that has changed here is the speed and detail of the information we get. 100 years ago if there was an incident on the other coast, by the time we heard of it it was old news and seemed to not even be relevant to our lives. But with the speed of information and travel today, anything that happens seems like it's in our own backyard, even if it's hundreds of miles away.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... they would have written an amendment to the constitution specifying that the average joe cannot mount a Ma Deuce in the back of his pickup

any weapon you can afford that the Gov has ..........

M-2
M-60
M1 Tank
.... F-16

LAV-25

Aircraft Carrier ........