Marine Corps Orders Clubs to Allow Gay Spouses

Odessa78

Marine Corps leaders have directed their legal teams to alert spouses clubs at all Marine bases to begin allowing same-sex spouses as members if those social groups want to continue operating on Marine installations, Marine officials confirmed to NBC News Wednesday evening.

In an all-hands memo to legal offices across the branch, the Marine commandant's Staff Judge Advocate warned against discrimination based on sexual orientation, and he specifically mentioned a controversial decision made last month by the officers' spouses club at the Army's Fort Bragg to deny access to the same-sex spouse of a female Army lieutenant.

NBC News reported Dec. 14 that Ashley Broadway, the newlywed wife of Lt. Col. Heather Mack, was blocked from joining the spouses club at Fort Bragg, N.C., sparking accusations from a national military spouses organization that Broadway was being blackballed only because she is a lesbian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noting Army flap, Marine Corps orders its spouses clubs to allow same-sex members - U.S. News

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought wives clubs were open to all and there was no picking and choosing. Is that not correct?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If I recall correctly, the issue at Ft. Bragg was that the "marriage was not recognized in NC" so that's why they claimed she could not be part of the spouse's club.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

MarieB

If I recall correctly, the issue at Ft. Bragg was that the "marriage was not recognized in NC" so that's why they claimed she could not be part of the spouse's club.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

That was it

The chaplains also will only perform gay marriages in states where they are recognized