Biden draws NRA ire in drive against gun violence

BigBlue

Biden draws NRA ire in drive against gun violence - Yahoo! News

BACKGROUND CHECKS

Meeting earlier with hunting and outdoor sports groups, Biden said two of his task force's recommendations are likely to be universal background checks for gun purchasers and a ban on high-capacity ammunition clips like the ones used in the Connecticut massacre.

The background check requirement would extend to all gun purchasers. This would close the "gun show loophole" in which vendors at open-air gun sales events can sell without a background check on the purchaser. It would also extend to private sales such as those conducted over the Internet.

The task force might also propose a ban on assault weapons like the Bushmaster AR-15 rifle used by the gunman in Newtown.

"There's an emerging set of recommendations not coming from me, but coming from the groups we've met with," Biden said.

Biden's office had no substantive reaction to the NRA statement, issued less than an hour after the talks ended.

"We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment," the NRA said.

"While claiming that no policy proposals would be 'prejudged,' this task force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners - honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans," the NRA added.

The NRA, which proposed after the Newtown shootings that armed security officers be stationed at U.S. schools, vowed to take "our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of Congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works - and what does not."

Obama will review the Biden group's ideas, decide which ones he wants to keep and then announce "a package of actions and proposals," the White House said. Obama will seek legislative action by Congress but may also try to get some of his objectives done through presidential executive orders.

U.S. lawmakers have not approved a major new gun law since 1994. A U.S. assault weapons ban lapsed in 2004.

More than a hundred scientists from virtually every major U.S. university told Biden's task force in a letter that research restrictions pushed by the NRA have stopped the United States from finding solutions to gun violence.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has cut gun safety research by 96 percent since the mid-1990s, according to one estimate. Congress, pushed by the gun lobby, in 1996 put restrictions on CDC funding of gun research. Restrictions on other agencies were added in later years.

Biden said he would like federal agencies to have the ability to get information on what kind of weapons are used most to kill people and what kind of weapons are the most trafficked.

"I'm no great hunter - it's mostly skeet shooting for me - I don't quite understand why everybody would be afraid of whether or not we determine what is happening," he said.

Some journalists were allowed in for part of Biden's meeting with hunting groups such as Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever. No such news coverage was arranged for the NRA meeting.

(Additional reporting by Roberta Rampton; Editing by Alistair Bell and Will Dunham)

MMDad

Lem Putt
Biden draws NRA ire in drive against gun violence - Yahoo! News

Biden's office had no substantive reaction to the NRA statement, issued less than an hour after the talks ended.

"We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment," the NRA said.

"While claiming that no policy proposals would be 'prejudged,' this task force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners - honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans," the NRA added.

So the NRA makes a statement, and Biden has no comment. Must mean the NRA was telling the truth.

Here you have it, people who attended the meeting say that this has nothing to do with protecting victims, and Biden does not contradict that.

Congratulations - you are falling for their hype. I hope it hurts.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

wow,I bet you still think Elvis is alive!

Apparently you didn't realize that you accidently posted something truthful

glhs837

Power with Control
More than a hundred scientists from virtually every major U.S. university told Biden's task force in a letter that research restrictions pushed by the NRA have stopped the United States from finding solutions to gun violence.

Hmmm, what does this mean? So, give us money and we promise that we could find solutions?

BigBlue

Did that hurt?

mmdad=An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

MMDad

Lem Putt
mmdad=An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Actually moron, I posted a comment to the topic, which led to an insult from you. Stop whining, put on your big girl panties and either respond with a coherent thought or shut up. Stopp being such a drama queer.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So now Biden will lie "We are all in agreement..." and force the laws they wanted from the beginning on us.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Just because you don't happen to share a particular ideology doesn't make someone a troll.

This is so typical of the Left. Any time they disagree with someone, it can't just be a freaking difference of opinion; it has to be WRONG!!! FLAMING!!! TROLL!!!!

The problem is you, dude, not everyone else.

Salvador

One Nation Under God
Just because you don't happen to share a particular ideology doesn't make someone a troll.

This is so typical of the Left. Any time they disagree with someone, it can't just be a freaking difference of opinion; it has to be WRONG!!! FLAMING!!! TROLL!!!!

Uhhhh. That's both sides. Actually.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Uhhhh. That's both sides. Actually.

Sorry, love bug. Most of the censorship demands I get come from the Left. The Righties post it right on here - "Ugh, why can't so and so be banned??" - but the Lefties lodge a formal complaint, typically multiple complaints. They also don't like to take "no" for an answer and become quite insistent.

:smile:

Salvador

One Nation Under God
Sorry, love bug. Most of the censorship demands I get come from the Left. The Righties post it right on here - "Ugh, why can't so and so be banned??" - but the Lefties lodge a formal complaint, typically multiple complaints. They also don't like to take "no" for an answer and become quite insistent.

:smile:

I was talking abouut calling each other trolls

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was talking abouut calling each other trolls

Nope, that mostly comes from the Left as well. Sure, we get a bit of it from the Right - mostly directed toward posters who only cut and paste other opinions and never, or rarely, offer one of their own. Lefties, however, are quite consistent in insisting someone be censored simply because they disagree with an opinion.

See BB's accusation toward MMDad for an example.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In fact, this is a perfect example thread.

BB cuts and pastes a story, with no comment of his own.
MMDad comments on the story, and comments to BB directly.
BB gives an ad hominem response that has nothing to do with the story in any regard.
MMDad responds to that particular comment.
BB calls him a troll.

And voila! The debate practices of the Left rear their ugly heads once again!

BigBlue

No the problem is the Mods and letting personal feelings for long time posters get in the way .Ok for others to insult or hand out personal attcks but be it someone who has a different opinion,yes some people paste and post ,it backs up their opinions.Plenty of your long time posters post one word or two and then smilies,that you accept but be it someone with a different veiw and they are "libs",ignorant ,stupid,etc and they are banned.
There is a thread title with my name in a derogatory use and the mods let it go but pretty sure if I did it ,I would be banish,true?

yet this is ok???

Paging idiot BigBlue and other gun control freaks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See how well these laws work? Moron.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
wow,I bet you still think Elvis is alive!

No the problem is the Mods and letting personal feelings for long time posters get in the way .Ok for others to insult or hand out personal attcks but be it someone who has a different opinion,yes some people paste and post ,it backs up their opinions.Plenty of your long time posters post one word or two and then smilies,that you accept but be it someone with a different veiw and they are "libs",ignorant ,stupid,etc and they are banned.
There is a thread title with my name in a derogatory use and the mods let it go but pretty sure if I did it ,I would be banish,true?

yet this is ok???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll agree with you if you can explain how your Elvis comment is relevant to the issue of either gun control or the VP's not rebutting the NRA's comments

MMDad

Lem Putt

yet this is ok???

How old are you, 12? That has to be the most juvenile whine fest I've read in a long time.