vet

S

ShellyCW

The St. Mary's Vet. Hospital (301-862-2441) on 235 near the 1st base gate has excellent care.  However, they do tend to assume that every owner can and will damn the expenses for their 4 legged babies.  Pet health insurance would come in handy.  

I take my dogs and cat to Waldorf Animal Clinic.  They are always extremely friendly and I think the care is great.  (my dog just got diagnosed w/ an ACL tear there--ouch)

spinner

Depends on what you want treated. The Well Pet clinic does spays and has a very nice vet on certain days.  And they won't bust your pocketbook. Tidewater in Charlotte Hall is really good for livestock, I really like Drs Runde and Benidict, Dr Parks is great with  our dogs,  And Dr Miller [I don't remember the name of her practice]  is wonderful with horses.

Cowgirl

I have used several vets in the area.  I don't particularly recommend Tidewater...although Dr. Miller is good.  For small animals, I recommend either St. Mary's or Prince Frederick.  I know Prince Frederick seems to be a bit of a drive, but Dr. Smith is well worth it.  She used to be at Breton Vet in Leonardtown.  She is the best vet in the world.  PF is also cheaper than other vets in St. Mary's county.  

Cheetah

I've been trucking my two "kids" to South Arundel Vet in Edgewater since we used to live in Annapolis.  I guess I still go there for the degree of comfort I have from the excellent service our family has rec'd with our pets over the years.

Cowgirl, you mentioned Prince Frederick Vets...are they any good?  They are right near my home.  I may transfer at some point if we have to have more routine visits than usual.  

spinner

If Dr. Cheryl Smith is at Prince Frederick and is the same one that was at Tidewater and then in Leonardtown she is a GREAT vet. I'd use her again in a heartbeat but she doesn't do livestock anymore. Tidewater is a  good vet, not too many in the area will treat sheep and goats. We have never had a problem with them and we have used them for many of our animals.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I take my 4-legged kids to Prince Frederick vet! They're great! Although my brood has grown to the point that I give all my animals their own vaccines (except rabies), they still need to go on occasion. For my horses, I use Linda Molsworth, at Bay Equine, in Huntingtown. She has a gorgeous new facility called Fresh Meadows for layups, xrays on site, etc.

concerned

Dr. Mark Hocking of St. Leonard Animal Hospital is a fantastic avian vet. He is located in Cheltenham, MD and has a mobile clinic. These people are so good that they spent two solid days in LaPlata giving care to the search and rescue dogs pro bono. Yes, they do care for all animals.

Another good avian vet is Eastern Exotic Veterinary Center in Fairfax, VA.

M Bucker

Caution: Breton Vet

Here's a warning about Breton Vet. Maybe this was an isolated incedent but when I got my Shepard the guy I got him from had been taking him to the Breton Vet. So I took him there for the first time and the Vet said "Let's check out his hips" (Shepards get hip dysplaysia easily). So she says "Oh, we should get an X-Ray, something looks wrong", like she's never seen the dog before when in actual fact she'd been seeing him all along. So she talks me into spending like $50 (not a lot) on an x-ray. Then she proceeds to tell me that she's not qualified to read the x-ray and I have to pay to send them to another vet and pay that vet to read them. It was turning into a very expensive ordeal(like $200+) for just an x-ray. And why did she volunteer to take the x-ray when she can't read them. I was like why don't I just go to another vet???????

So I took the x-ray and my dog to Park Vet on Great Mills Rd. next to Cadillac Jacks and we've been happy there ever since.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've been using Three Notch Vets in Hollywood for the past fifteen years or so. I've always had wonderful service for my 'babies' and have found they are willing to go the extra mile. I remember frantically calling them around 10 one Saturday night after my kitty had been bitten by a copperhead. Dr. Veitch met us at the hospital, opened it for us, and treated Abbott for the bite. He even took the cat home with him so he could watch him overnight.

More recently, I took my six month old female kitty Trixie to them last week to have her spayed. Dr. Gordon called and was concerned because she detected Trixie had an infection. She could do the spay but would like to treat the infection first so Trixie would have less chance for complications from the surgery. I was very happy she cared about the health of my animal and not just about pushing them in and out the door. We're going to try again next week for the spay after Dr. Gordon evaluates her to make sure she's back to normal.

Anyway, for me Three Notch Vets are the BEST! :yay:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I am sorry for your loss. I can imagine it is hard on both you and your daughter. I dont know much about horses, what is their average life span?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I have to say Dr. Hocking of St. Leonard is the BEST!!!! I worked for him for about a year when he was at St. Charles Animal Hospital in Waldorf. He left to open up his kennels and his mobile clinic. He is literally one of the best people I have ever met in my life besides being a wonderful vet. He is the best in the business for birds and is licenced to treat birds of prey (eagles, hawks and such), he also does all exotics (lizards, snakes, turtles, etc.), small animals and does wonders for cats and dogs!

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by cariblue
What am I missing here?  I was sure that for the last 6 years that I've taken my cat to St. Mary's Veterinary that the Vet's names were Forrest and Fitzsimmons....Do you have your vet's confused?  Or, have I totally lost it?

No doctor Forrest and Fitzsimmons are at St. Marys. From what I understand...
I must be delusional if not, cause that is mickeys (my dog) vet, and he is absolutly awesome!

cbspec

Fat Hen
Dr. Forrest

I rescued a very sweet chicken and it turned out she had very bad feet (bumblefoot). I did all I could to fix her at home using alternative meds, etc... but she needed to see a vet. This was my first time seeing a vet so I was totally in the dark on this. After calling around looking for a vet that would even SEE a chicken, I found Dr. Forrest.

I am not a Dr. person, not even for myself. I was so impressed with him and his caring, warm nature, and the way he was truly interested in getting her well, eventhough she was 'just a chicken'. He saw her as a living being, not just an old chicken. That is just too cool for words.

Pretty is all better now and doing fine. I would recommend Dr. Forrest and the vets and St. Mary's Vets highly.:razz2:

Cowgirl

St. Mary's

Dr. Forrest and Fitzsimmons (sp) are at St. Mary's....along with Dr. MacCubbin and a couple others. Dr. Forrest is awesome! One time we took our sheep in to see them after they ate some poisonous Mountain Laurel...at the time he was the only option available, but he didn't mind it at all! He used to be a large animal vet. We also brought a duck in when she was egg bound. He is definitely dedicated. I posted earlier that I don't particularly recommend Tidewater, but I changed my mind. I took my sheep in to see a vet their (can't remember his name, but if someone said it I would recognize it). The sheep got attacked by bees...must've stepped on the nest. :frown: But the Dr. was great with her. Dr. Lisas and Dr. Rundy just came out a couple months ago and gelded my donkey...they did a great job. I absolutly love Dr. Lisas...she's great, and is so great with the people...some Drs. are great with animals but have no people skills. You might recognize Dr. Lisas from the rabies clinics. Anyway, I would recommend Tidewater now. For my small animals though, I use St. Mary's. :biggrin:

So. County

Re: Warning about Breton vets!

St. Mary's across from the base. Two thumbs up....
I too had a bad experience with Breton vets: I only remember Dr. Fenwick's name. We had a golden retriever who got hit by a car when he was about 4 mos. old. We took him to Breton after his initial visit to the emergency vet in Waldorf. We brought his xrays to Breton the first time. We were told to bring Eddie back each week to have his splint removed and checked. We had three different vets look at him... One said, "Let him put some weight on it, it will help heal." The next time, "No, no, he should be confined to a crate to heal." After six weeks, they said we needed other xrays and they would cost $89. So I dropped him off. I went back to pick him up, and our bill was over $250!! They charged me for putting him in the cage for a couple hours, for putting on a new splint, an elizabethan collar....and, they said, he wasn't healing well. So, "He needs to be seen for another 6 weeks." Then, Dr. Fenwick herself really ticked me off. She said Eddie hadn't finished his puppy shots. I told her he had already gone thru his first set at Well Pet, and I'd be taking him the next week (we take all our animals to the Well Pet clinic for shots and neutering and so forth). I could tell she didn't like this. She then told me Eddie had those little bugs in his ears. I said, "I will have Well Pet look at them." She turned to me and actually sneared, "WELL PET HAS THESE MEDS FOR HIS EARS?" I couldn't believe her lack of professionalism and attitude.

So. County

We lost our older pony on Memorial Day weekend. Dr. Lisas told me someone should come out, when I called at first, but she was not on call. Dr. Parks told me it didn't sound bad, she wasn't rolling, she wasn't biting at her sides, but I could come out to his home and get banamine for her pain and that sounded like all that could be done. We did that. The banamine made her sleepy and dopey. The next day, she was no better, no worse. Dr. Parks came out at ten o'clock on Sunday night and gave more banamine and more oil. By the time, she had no gut sounds: he was 50/50 she'd get over it. Yes, over the phone he informed me right away about the $100 emergency charge: I said, just come....He seemed genuinely concerned when he got here. He seemed to like my pony and I told him she could be moody and nasty, but wasn't she the cutest thing, and I think he really knew how I felt about her. We'd already poured as much oil as we could into her over the last two days, because I'd also called Dr. Miller (not on call, either). The pony died two hours after he left. What upset me is that I told him if she started to get down and roll, I'd call him to come put her down immediately. Given her age, no gut sounds - I wasn't going to watch her die in agony. I couldn't do that. At about 11:30 pm, I did try to call him: he had assured me he'd have his pager on. When I went back down to the field, she was in shock, and she died a few minutes later. He did call me back, but at 7 the next morning. He apologized and said he hadn't heard his pager; he'd left it downstairs. What if she had layed down in agony for hours, and I couldn't have reached him? I was very upset that he seemed so caring but that I would not have been able to reach him (short of driving to his house, but I think I would have taken out a gun first and done the job myself rather than prolong the whole thing). I have to say this, though, about that emergency charge. He charged us $130 TOTAL for coming out including the meds, the oil, time, farm visit and this was before he left our house; maybe he thought she wasn't going to pull thru and it was a mercy bill, but I don't think so. I'd use them again, but it was own ignorance which didn't force them out earlier.

So. County

Re: Vets and losing horses, etc.

I still question whether Tidewater would have been able to help the pony had they come out sooner. Appyday, I think you got Leo from me, the appaloosa gelding who was nearly blind. If you happen to know whatever became of him, let me know. When we lost the pony, I wished I'd never sold Leo, because after both he and the palomino pony were gone, I realized it was the palomino who was making things so difficult around here. The pony mare came out of that last winter better than ever. She plumped up and looked so good. I realized Leo needed a lot more meat on his bones, as you said, and had I separated the palomino from both the pony and Leo, both would have done better. We bought two minis from Kelly and she told me that training the palomino pony was tough, so I don't regret selling him: I was in over my head. But if you hear that Leo is still around, ever needs a home, let me know. The minis are great; we never had a good place to ride around here anyway. They run around the yard and chase the dogs, and vice versa. As for the pony mare, I took her halter off her when she had died, before the frontend loader came to dig the hole. My husband said wash it; I never did, and it's hanging in the bedroom. As for having horses for any length of time, we only had her 3 years, but she was my first, bought when I was 33 years old. Nobody else but horse people can understand what it's like when they pass away. Dogs are bad, cats are bad, but losing this pony was horrible. She was the dream I'd had since I was 5 years old.