PolitiFact's credibility.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
And does anyone besides blueballs and nhtoy read this crap?

Last month, PolitiFact selected its "Lie of the Year." Given PolitiFact's dubious record of singling out Republicans for lying far more often then Democrats, you probably could have guessed the winner of this particular sweepstakes was a Mitt Romney campaign ad:
It was a lie told in the critical state of Ohio in the final days of a close campaign -- that Jeep was moving its U.S. production to China. It originated with a conservative blogger, who twisted an accurate news story into a falsehood. Then it picked up steam when the Drudge Report ran with it. Even though Jeep's parent company gave a quick and clear denial, Mitt Romney repeated it and his campaign turned it into a TV ad.

And they stood by the claim, even as the media and the public expressed collective outrage against something so obviously false.

Whoops: PolitiFact's 'Lie of the Year' Turns Out to Be True | The Weekly Standard

b23hqb

PREMO Member
PolitiFact is an arm of the former St Pete Times, now known as the Tampa Bay Times. Regardless of the name the paper is a leftist rag that has never endorsed anything other than liberal policies.

Last edited:

tommyjo

Not familiar with Politifact...but the author of the article referenced here doesn't seem to understand English or business.

Jeep is not moving production to China. They are starting new production there. Why? For the same reason BMW, Toyota and all the other manufactureres build autos in the US...easier and cheaper to do so from unit cost and regulatory compliance aspects.

So the implication from Mr. Romney that production was moving to China was false.

The authors assertion that US jobs are being impacted is false as Jeep was clear from the outset that they were looking to start production in China.

Chrysler repeats not moving Jeep work to China from U.S. - Yahoo! News

Chrysler as early as June 2011 had said it was considering adding Jeep production in China.

"We are working to establish a global enterprise and previously announced our intent to return Jeep production to China, the world's largest auto market, in order to satisfy local market demand, which would not otherwise be accessible," said Marchionne in the email on Tuesday.

And he also reaffirmed previous Chrysler announcements about increasing its Jeep production at plants in Ohio, Illinois and Detroit.

"We will invest more than $1.7 billion to develop and produce the next-generation Jeep SUV, the successor of the Jeep Liberty -- including $500 million directly to tool and expand our Toledo Assembly Complex and will be adding about 1,100 jobs on a second shift by 2013," his email to employees said.

Marchionne said that Chrysler, including Jeep, has added 11,200 jobs in the United States since 2009.

"Jeep assembly lines will remain in operation in the United States and will constitute the backbone of the brand," said Marchionne in the email. "It is inaccurate to suggest anything different."

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If you export Jeeps to China this year, and they are made in the US, AND next year you'll be building those Jeeps in China, you have indeed moved production to China.

itsrequired

And does anyone besides blueballs and nhtoy read this crap?

Is politico wrong? Was the add correct? It doesn't matter to me if they are reporting republican or democratic lies. A lie is a lie. Polititians like to bend the truth. So do those who are left wing and those who are right wing. Truth isn't as important as spin is.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Is politico wrong? Was the add correct? It doesn't matter to me if they are reporting republican or democratic lies. A lie is a lie. Polititians like to bend the truth. So do those who are left wing and those who are right wing. Truth isn't as important as spin is.

I really don't know politico's position on the lie. Keep asking questions and maybe we'll get to the truth.

Kinda like Janet Napolitano or should I say 'what is your real email address'?

itsrequired

I really don't know politico's position on the lie. Keep asking questions and maybe we'll get to the truth.

Kinda like Janet Napolitano or should I say 'what is your real email address'?

So it doesn't matter to you if the guy lied? You want my real email address?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Throughout the campaign, THE WON ran advertisements (known to you as an add, apparently) that quoted newspaper articles (such as the claim that the Republican Vice Presidential candidate lied when he said the President promised to do everything in his power to a keep manufacturing plant open). Despite the fact that videotapes of the President making these statements were published, the press did not call the President a liar for calling one of his opponents a liar. Now, did the President's ad lie? Of course it did.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

I don't really cared the President's campaign lied. I care the media didn't call b.s. on it.

Sorry I went over your head on the email address & Napolitano. You might not be familiar with the story.

itsrequired

I don't really cared the President's campaign lied. I care the media didn't call b.s. on it.

Sorry I went over your head on the email address & Napolitano. You might not be familiar with the story.

I went to Politico's site and saw that they did call the president a liar on a number of occasions.

There did seem to be a disproportionate amount of times where they reported where Romney was lying.

To me, if a source shows me someone's lying, that is just more important than putting spin on something. Did Politico report each time Obama lied? Probably not, but that doesn't negate the lie by our side.

I can't lie in my job. The problem with the media today is not just the media, it's society. Very few people want to read the whole story; they just want bits and pieces so the media got lazy. There are of course there are those journalist with an agenda.

If someone befriends a person of the opposite party, they are deemed a traitor. Christie is about as conservative a Republican as I know. He is one of the more honest politicians out there, but because he accepted help from the feds, and thanked the president for quick assistance, he is now being demonized. It's crap if you ask me.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Christie is about as conservative a Republican as I know. He is one of the more honest politicians out there, but because he accepted help from the feds, and thanked the president for quick assistance, he is now being demonized. It's crap if you ask me.

The "old Christie" would have viewed very dimly a massively pork-stuffed and hugely overrreaching bill like the 60 billion dollar giveaway for NY and NJ. He would have wasted no time pointing out what a huge waste of money it will be and an incredible over-extension of any historical fed obligation in place through FEMA.

Now we know more about who he really is. Too bad.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I went to Politico's site and saw that they did call the president a liar on a number of occasions.

There did seem to be a disproportionate amount of times where they reported where Romney was lying.

To me, if a source shows me someone's lying, that is just more important than putting spin on something. Did Politico report each time Obama lied? Probably not, but that doesn't negate the lie by our side.

I can't lie in my job. The problem with the media today is not just the media, it's society. Very few people want to read the whole story; they just want bits and pieces so the media got lazy. There are of course there are those journalist with an agenda.

If someone befriends a person of the opposite party, they are deemed a traitor. Christie is about as conservative a Republican as I know. He is one of the more honest politicians out there, but because he accepted help from the feds, and thanked the president for quick assistance, he is now being demonized. It's crap if you ask me.

Not that I disagree with your analysis, but Politico and Politifact are two different websites. Both are left leaning. I like Christie as being a politician who calls out the media when they try a 'gotcha' question, but he is what he is, a politician.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

100,000 Jeeps will be built in China starting in 2014.

How is that NOT moving production to China?

How many man hours does out take to build one Jeep? Multiply that by 100,000, divide by 2000 that's how many American jobs were lost by moving Jeep manufacturing to China.