Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: USN Chief Initiation Abolished

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_Player1974 View Post
    I personally NEVER understood the CPO initiation process other than it was just an excuse for the already practically useless "professionals in their rating" to drag out the potentially useless selectees to play games with them!

    I am glad it is going away. Maybe now they will be able to recoup that month to month and a half of lost work that occurs during the process.

    I only ever worked with 1 E-7 that didnt go through the initiation process and he was the best, most hard working one that I ever had!

    Most of the "modern" CPOs that I know where basically paper pushers and ALL were cowering in fear from the E-9s in the command. All they cared about was making sure THEY didn't look bad.

    Come to think of it, I believe the reasoning behind the abolishment of the initiation process might be due to potential incurred medical costs due to SPINAL REMOVAL
    Do you know what they replaced it with? It's so much more of a waste of time that doesn't just affect the selectees, it affects all First Classes.
    All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day - Mr. J

  2. #22
    No Use for Donk Twits cwo_ghwebb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Too Poor To Move
    Posts
    10,325
    Quote Originally Posted by thurley42 View Post
    Do you know what they replaced it with? It's so much more of a waste of time that doesn't just affect the selectees, it affects all First Classes.
    I heard it was CPO365, some kinda course, yeah right. When you spend two months with the rest of the selectees, do all the crap, trivial or not, and go through hell at the end, you were a CHIEF. I was a Chief for three years during initiation, then invited as a Warrant during the last section, a Chief is always a Chief.

    NO OTHER SERVICE CAN CLAIM THE SAME.
    Born with a smirk, smartass for life.

  3. #23
    Now we have a 1st Class and a retired CWO (CPO) going at it.
    I left the Navy after 10 years as a 2nd Class. I am still a peon.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by cwo_ghwebb View Post
    I heard it was CPO365, some kinda course, yeah right. When you spend two months with the rest of the selectees, do all the crap, trivial or not, and go through hell at the end, you were a CHIEF. I was a Chief for three years during initiation, then invited as a Warrant during the last section, a Chief is always a Chief.

    NO OTHER SERVICE CAN CLAIM THE SAME.
    I agree. Glad I got out when I did.
    All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day - Mr. J

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by cwo_ghwebb View Post
    I retired in 99 as a Warrant, made Chief in early 90's. I was talking to a CMC earlier today, we're both glad we're gone and retired. Some of the crap you go through seems ridiculous (it is) and on purpose. Most exercises are to build upon the comraderie of the goat locker. Back in the day, Chiefs ran the day to day operations, taught junior officers how to lead and brought up the junior petty officers to take charge and LEAD.

    Now, CPOs just take a course, eat a dinner and get a picture taken with their CO.

    I remember when I was notified I made Chief. On the second deck, my CMC told me, I didn't believe him. Then my CO told me and my knees buckled...

    How many here still have their charge book????

    I've got my Charge book, and my vessel.

  6. #26
    Thought pirate cheezgrits's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mechanicsville
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_Player1974 View Post
    I personally NEVER understood the CPO initiation process other than it was just an excuse for the already practically useless "professionals in their rating" to drag out the potentially useless selectees to play games with them!

    I am glad it is going away. Maybe now they will be able to recoup that month to month and a half of lost work that occurs during the process.

    I only ever worked with 1 E-7 that didnt go through the initiation process and he was the best, most hard working one that I ever had!

    Most of the "modern" CPOs that I know where basically paper pushers and ALL were cowering in fear from the E-9s in the command. All they cared about was making sure THEY didn't look bad.

    Come to think of it, I believe the reasoning behind the abolishment of the initiation process might be due to potential incurred medical costs due to SPINAL REMOVAL
    Says an obvious multiple passed over E6

  7. #27
    I Need a Life
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the Hills and Far Away..
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezgrits View Post
    Says an obvious multiple passed over E6
    Actually...

    Says a former sailor that made E-6 in 7 years who saw what it was to be a "Chief Petty Officer" in today's Navy (basically a back stabbing, paper pusher who was out for only themselves) and decided to get out at 10 years to get a real job. Never was up for CPO

    After seeing what the US Navy CPO was at the time and where it was heading... I wanted NO part of it! When you see CPOs doing the job of E-6s and even E-5s.... Sorry, but I didn't want that.

    Actually, if I were to recommend an initiation process for TODAY'S chief selectees, it would be simple:

    Administration 101 for Beginners
    Self Preservation 301 for Advanced Users

    Maybe even Physical Fitness for the Slovenly. I would say 50% of CPOs in the Navy right now are so obviously out of weight standards it is pathetic!

    Oh wait... I'm sorry... They have "waivers." You know... the ones they have had for 6 or 7 years!!
    Last edited by SG_Player1974; 01-20-2013 at 09:29 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_Player1974 View Post
    Actually...

    Says a former sailor that made E-6 in 7 years who saw what it was to be a "Chief Petty Officer" in today's Navy (basically a back stabbing, paper pusher who was out for only themselves) and decided to get out at 10 years to get a real job. Never was up for CPO

    After seeing what the US Navy CPO was at the time and where it was heading... I wanted NO part of it! When you see CPOs doing the job of E-6s and even E-5s.... Sorry, but I didn't want that.

    Actually, if I were to recommend an initiation process for TODAY'S chief selectees, it would be simple:

    Administration 101 for Beginners
    Self Preservation 301 for Advanced Users

    Maybe even Physical Fitness for the Slovenly. I would say 50% of CPOs in the Navy right now are so obviously out of weight standards it is pathetic!

    Oh wait... I'm sorry... They have "waivers." You know... the ones they have had for 6 or 7 years!!

  9. #29
    Thought pirate cheezgrits's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mechanicsville
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_Player1974 View Post
    Actually...

    Says a former sailor that made E-6 in 7 years who saw what it was to be a "Chief Petty Officer" in today's Navy (basically a back stabbing, paper pusher who was out for only themselves) and decided to get out at 10 years to get a real job. Never was up for CPO

    After seeing what the US Navy CPO was at the time and where it was heading... I wanted NO part of it! When you see CPOs doing the job of E-6s and even E-5s.... Sorry, but I didn't want that.

    Actually, if I were to recommend an initiation process for TODAY'S chief selectees, it would be simple:

    Administration 101 for Beginners
    Self Preservation 301 for Advanced Users

    Maybe even Physical Fitness for the Slovenly. I would say 50% of CPOs in the Navy right now are so obviously out of weight standards it is pathetic!

    Oh wait... I'm sorry... They have "waivers." You know... the ones they have had for 6 or 7 years!!
    Wow. Sorry you have such a bitter recollection of your service. Apparently you either had poor leaders or were one of those who just couldn't be led. Glad you got a "real job" (would be interested in what that is) and thank you for your 10 years of service to our Nation.

  10. #30
    Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California, MD
    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezgrits View Post
    Says an obvious multiple passed over E6
    I knew this was coming.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Members who have read this thread: 29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |