USN Chief Initiation Abolished

R

retiredweaxman

It's causing quite a stir in one of my Facebook groups:

U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer initiation ill-advisedly abolished | Washington Times Communities

"FOREST HILL, NC, January 15, 2013 — The time honored rite of the U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer (CPO) initiation process has been eliminated. Political correctness has won out over more than 100 years of having gotten it right in the Chief’s Mess."

I have known the author of this article since 1981...a man I have served with numerous times. I have the utmost repsect for him and his opinions.

As a retired CPO, I cringed when I read the new guidance. Soon, it will be done as it is in the Wardroom or (gulp) in the Air Force...a dining out and a certificate for dessert.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
A shame. I knew it was only a matter of time.

Unfortunately, it's been a long time coming. Initiation is probably the most memorable part of a Chief's career. Now these young folks will never have the benefit of participating in this fine tradition.

CrashTest

I assume when they talk about the CPO initiation process they're talking about the hazing, or is there more to the process than just the hazing?

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
I assume when they talk about the CPO initiation process they're talking about the hazing, or is there more to the process than just the hazing?

Soooo much more. And it isn't hazing to me if you willingly volunteer to go through the process. And we all did. Nobody made you, but you didn't NOT want to go through!

Inkd

Tacking on the Crow?

Damn, that $hit hurt.

I tacked all my sailors crows on, even after it was considered "hazing" and done away with officially.

I didn't hit to hurt, just a light shot to keep it where it belongs.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Soooo much more. And it isn't hazing to me if you willingly volunteer to go through the process. And we all did. Nobody made you, but you didn't NOT want to go through!

If you didn't you were an E-7 and not a Chief Petty Officer (CPO).

CrashTest

I'm OK with hazing or any other kind of initiation the CPO selectee does and there's certainly not a PC bone in me, but what is it about the initiation that makes a CPO selectee more qualifed to plug a sinking ship (or fix some other crisis) than he would have been without the initiation (like the author of the article implies)? Wouldn't he already have those skills in order to even be a selectee?

SG_Player1974

I'm OK with hazing or any other kind of initiation the CPO selectee does and there's certainly not a PC bone in me, but what is it about the initiation that makes a CPO selectee more qualifed to plug a sinking ship (or fix some other crisis) than he would have been without the initiation (like the author of the article implies)? Wouldn't he already have those skills in order to even be a selectee?

I personally NEVER understood the CPO initiation process other than it was just an excuse for the already practically useless "professionals in their rating" to drag out the potentially useless selectees to play games with them!

I am glad it is going away. Maybe now they will be able to recoup that month to month and a half of lost work that occurs during the process.

I only ever worked with 1 E-7 that didnt go through the initiation process and he was the best, most hard working one that I ever had!

Most of the "modern" CPOs that I know where basically paper pushers and ALL were cowering in fear from the E-9s in the command. All they cared about was making sure THEY didn't look bad.

Come to think of it, I believe the reasoning behind the abolishment of the initiation process might be due to potential incurred medical costs due to SPINAL REMOVAL :jerry:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Do they still do the Shellbacks, Pollywogs and Blue Nose?

Cripe, I remember doing the Shellback initiation on Enterprise lapping water out of the tie downs on the flight deck. Gosh, my dungarees were a mess! lol

I will never forget all the different initiations in which I participated.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Cripe, I remember doing the Shellback initiation on Enterprise lapping water out of the tie downs on the flight deck. Gosh, my dungarees were a mess! lol

I will never forget all the different initiations in which I participated.

I got to kiss the polar bear's belly.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I personally NEVER understood the CPO initiation process other than it was just an excuse for the already practically useless "professionals in their rating" to drag out the potentially useless selectees to play games with them!

I am glad it is going away. Maybe now they will be able to recoup that month to month and a half of lost work that occurs during the process.

I only ever worked with 1 E-7 that didnt go through the initiation process and he was the best, most hard working one that I ever had!

Most of the "modern" CPOs that I know where basically paper pushers and ALL were cowering in fear from the E-9s in the command. All they cared about was making sure THEY didn't look bad.

Come to think of it, I believe the reasoning behind the abolishment of the initiation process might be due to potential incurred medical costs due to SPINAL REMOVAL :jerry:

I retired in 99 as a Warrant, made Chief in early 90's. I was talking to a CMC earlier today, we're both glad we're gone and retired. Some of the crap you go through seems ridiculous (it is) and on purpose. Most exercises are to build upon the comraderie of the goat locker. Back in the day, Chiefs ran the day to day operations, taught junior officers how to lead and brought up the junior petty officers to take charge and LEAD.

Now, CPOs just take a course, eat a dinner and get a picture taken with their CO.

I remember when I was notified I made Chief. On the second deck, my CMC told me, I didn't believe him. Then my CO told me and my knees buckled...

How many here still have their charge book????