"Why do you NEED an assault rifle"?

Chris0nllyn

"I NEED my assault rifle, just as much as Rosa Parks NEEDED to sit at the front of that bus".

tommyjo

"I NEED my assault rifle, just as much as Rosa Parks NEEDED to sit at the front of that bus".

What is interesting with your choice of comparisions is that Rosa Parks didn't NEED an assualt rifle to change the social structure of this country.

What is also interesting about all the "take my gun out of my cold dead hands" 2nd amendment folks is how the actual wording of the amendment is ignored...

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

All your emphasis is placed on the last 4 words and you completely ignore the first 4.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What is interesting with your choice of comparisions is that Rosa Parks didn't NEED an assualt rifle to change the social structure of this country.

Did she need to sit in the front of the bus? No.

Do you need to take your valium more regularly? Yes.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

Do you need internet? Do you need freedom of speech? Do you need a cell phone?

Toxick

Splat
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

All your emphasis is placed on the last 4 words and you completely ignore the first 4.

Nobody ignores the first clause. Most of us just don't think it negates the rest of the sentence.

"Cold weather being inevitable, the right of the people to wear coats shall not be infringed".

Does this mean I can ONLY wear a coat when it's cold out?

bohman

What is also interesting about all the "take my gun out of my cold dead hands" 2nd amendment folks is how the actual wording of the amendment is ignored...

tommy, the word "militia" at the time that was written referred to the army and navy as commanded by the government. The people's right to bear arms is what regulates that militia.

It doesn't mean we all have to learn how to march.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
tommy, the word "militia" at the time that was written referred to the army and navy as commanded by the government. The people's right to bear arms is what regulates that militia.

The "militia" was every able bodied male over the age of 17

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"Cold weather being inevitable, the right of the people to wear coats shall not be infringed".

Does this mean I can ONLY wear a coat when it's cold out?

There is no need to go that far. Everything in the bill of rights speaks to the rights of the individual. Declaration of Independence is not about the rights of a state or a militia, of groups being created equal or of groups having the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

It is ALL about the individual, the citizen, and to bastardize the whole thing, to argue that this ONE amendment is about some group, some thing, is absurdity well past farce.

If we do play that game, try this on for size;

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

...could read as;

"A well educated community being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."

We're not talking about a ####ing library and we're not talking about using only comic books because it's less words and we're not talking about keeping them under lock and key.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nobody ignores the first clause. Most of us just don't think it negates the rest of the sentence.

And, while I'm warmed up, it's important to keep in mind that, while there is great fear of the maniac with a gun and misuse, of the ability to harm others, there is also great fear of the moron and misuse of the vote, of the ability to inflict harm on others.

A bad man with a gun can take only so much and, probably has one shot at it. A bad man with a vote can take much and can take it forever.

If I can get used to and accept someone who votes for Nancy Pelosi or FDR, they can ####ing eh well get used to me and my 'arsenal'.

:buddies:

thatguy

Wirelessly posted

aps45819 said:

The "militia" was every able bodied male over the age of 17

No, it didn't include the males 17 and older who were being held in bondage. You know, the ones who could have most benifited from arms to break free of the institutionalized servitude of the early USA.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wirelessly posted

No, it didn't include the males 17 and older who were being held in bondage. You know, the ones who could have most benifited from arms to break free of the institutionalized servitude of the early USA.

Post up really lame and irrelevant stuff much?

:coffee:

edinsomd

Wirelessly posted

Failed strawman. Tell me, skippy, how many developed nations in the world at the time of our revolution forbade slavery?

Need a hint? None. And remember the war that nearly tore our country apart was fought partly over slavery.

thatguy

Wirelessly posted

edinsomd said:
Wirelessly posted

Failed strawman. Tell me, skippy, how many developed nations in the world at the time of our revolution forbade slavery?

Need a hint? None. And remember the war that nearly tore our country apart was fought partly over slavery.

No straw man, just history.

But slavery was essentially illegal in England after 1772, and they passed the Slave Trade Act in 1807 whih made slavery illegal throughout the British empire.

The point being that not all were included in the malitia, and the rights under the constitution were not garunteed to all either. So there were limits on the 2ndA from the beginning, and those limits were placed on the very people who were being subjugated under the laws of the men who wrote our constitution.

Chris0nllyn

Wirelessly posted

I think the bigger point here should be that most Americans voted in favor of slavery back then.

Just because a majority thinks one way, or just because there is a law of some sort, doesn't make it right.

Sorta like owning assault rifles....:coffee:

Inkd

Wirelessly posted

The point being that not all were included in the malitia, and the rights under the constitution were not garunteed to all either. So there were limits on the 2ndA from the beginning, and those limits were placed on the very people who were being subjugated under the laws of the men who wrote our constitution.

Could you explain this more?

I just had a discussion with someone the other day who had the same opinion, that there were restrictions on the 2A from the beginning and it was specifically to keep slaves, then later on, free blacks from obtaining weapons that could be used in some type of revolt.

To answer the original question. I would like to have some heavy duty, rapid fire weapons in case of a break down in society which is pretty much happening as we type. I can't imagine protecting my house from a bunch of looters with a few bolt actions or six shooters.