Crystal City from St. Mary's

bohman

Would any of you road warriors out there care to put in your .02 on the best way to get to Crystal City? I need to head up there this week. Google map wants me to take 5 to Suitland Parkway to 395, then south on 1.

It looks simpler to go 5 to 495 across the Woodrow Wilson, then north on 1. Plus I get to avoid the joys of driving through some of the sketchier areas of D.C. But am I going to get stuck in a thousand red lights trying to go north on 1 through Alexandria?

Or should I just skip all that and get on the Metro at Branch Ave?

:jameo:

Hank

my war
Would any of you road warriors out there care to put in your .02 on the best way to get to Crystal City? I need to head up there this week. Google map wants me to take 5 to Suitland Parkway to 395, then south on 1.

It looks simpler to go 5 to 495 across the Woodrow Wilson, then north on 1. Plus I get to avoid the joys of driving through some of the sketchier areas of D.C. But am I going to get stuck in a thousand red lights trying to go north on 1 through Alexandria?

Take 1..... Easy drive!

JoeR

What time of day are you going to be traveling and where in Crystal City are you going? ? Going across the Wilson Bridge is the easier way in my opinion. I go that way everyday to work (National Airport). I'm coming from Waldorf and go via Rt. 210 to the bridge. Also remember you need to be in the local lanes to get off onto rt. 1. When you get on route 1 (Patrick St.) keep to the speed limit or a little slower. The traffic lights are timed and if you stay around 25-30 mph you can go no-stop all the way to where Patrick and Henry Streets meet back up by the McDonalds.

victoryman

Maybe you could drive to Branch ave metro and take metro green line to Yellow / blue line to Crytal City. Just a thought.

thurley42

HY;FR
What time of day are you going to be traveling and where in Crystal City are you going? ? Going across the Wilson Bridge is the easier way in my opinion. I go that way everyday to work (National Airport). I'm coming from Waldorf and go via Rt. 210 to the bridge. Also remember you need to be in the local lanes to get off onto rt. 1. When you get on route 1 (Patrick St.) keep to the speed limit or a little slower. The traffic lights are timed and if you stay around 25-30 mph you can go no-stop all the way to where Patrick and Henry Streets meet back up by the McDonalds.

This... if you are leaving a little later in the morning it isn't worth paying for the metro and parking and taking the 45 minute metro ride from Branch to Crystal City when you can just drive...

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
This^^ with a few clarifications. Time and where in CC is important!

You can go 210 to 495 then take GW Parkway (avoid lights on rt. 1). You'll have to know where & when to cut over though.

TPD

the poor dad

You can go 210 to 495 then take GW Parkway (avoid lights on rt. 1). You'll have to know where & when to cut over though.

I'm not convinced GW is a time saver over Rt 1 - just based on my observation going to DCA. Maybe going in but not coming out, but again, all based on time of day I guess.

bohman

I should have clarified, I need to be at 12th street at 10:00. That's why I was concerned about taking Rt 1 all the way from the Wilson, since my destination appears to be at the northern end of the Alexandria/Crystal City area.

Thanks for the info!

bohman

I don't see many places to exit from GW north. Would you head to Smith Blvd next to the airport and then head to Crystal Dr from 233 Airport Access rd?

Sweet 16

^^8^^
It really depends on the time of day but 210 is a fuster-cluck no matter what time you drive it. As is 295 and Suitland Parkway. I would take 5 to 495 across WW bridge to Rt. 1 North.

SoMdDude

It really depends on the time of day but 210 is a fuster-cluck no matter what time you drive it. As is 295 and Suitland Parkway. I would take 5 to 495 across WW bridge to Rt. 1 North.

210N between 530am and about 8-830am is always a cluster ####, other times its okay. I live right off of 210 and 228 in waldorf. Had to go to National Harbor yesterday morning for work and left at 530, it was already backed up to Fort Washington road.

Dont take 210S on your way home either unless you get on it before 3-330PM! Cluster#### lol

JoeR

I don't see many places to exit from GW north. Would you head to Smith Blvd next to the airport and then head to Crystal Dr from 233 Airport Access rd?

Ok. Another question? Where on 12th street are you going. 12th St. in Crystal City runs from Crystal Drive to Hayes St. in front of Pentagon City Mall. And depending on where your going will dictate where you need to come off Rt. 1 (Jeff Davis Hwy).

Also don't take the parkway. You would end up going onto the airport to get back to Crystal City. Smith Blvd is actually on the airport.

bohman

Ok. Another question? Where on 12th street are you going. 12th St. in Crystal City runs from Crystal Drive to Hayes St. in front of Pentagon City Mall. And depending on where your going will dictate where you need to come off Rt. 1 (Jeff Davis Hwy).

Also don't take the parkway. You would end up going onto the airport to get back to Crystal City. Smith Blvd is actually on the airport.

I was on Crystal Drive. I took the Wilson Bridge and went up rt. 1, and got off rt. 1 at 15th street and drove up Crystal to 12th. It was relatively low-stress, even with the snow and a few traffic lights out on Rt. 1 in Alexandria. I'm sure it helped that I arrived after rush hour.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The Yellow Brick Rd will lead you to the Crystal City...

At least that's the latest from the Lollipop Guild.. and if you had legs as long as their's you'd know all the shortcuts too!!

JoeR

I was on Crystal Drive. I took the Wilson Bridge and went up rt. 1, and got off rt. 1 at 15th street and drove up Crystal to 12th. It was relatively low-stress, even with the snow and a few traffic lights out on Rt. 1 in Alexandria. I'm sure it helped that I arrived after rush hour.

Glad to hear you made it with no problems.