Fair Tax...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...Phil Mikelson, pro golfer, elite one at that, made $45 million last year.

In all, he paid 60% of it in taxes. $27,000,000 paid in taxes.

Anyone think that's his 'fair share'?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think all anyone needs to live nicely on is $200k per year. So no, he did not pay his fair share; he should have paid much much more.

:starcat:

PsyOps

Pixelated

You mean the government blessed him to keep $18,000,000 of his own money? The outrage! :tantrum

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Len Burman, a tax professor at Syracuse University, said: "Please stop whining and give thanks for being able to earn a fabulous living playing a game and selling golf clubs (even after tax). 99.999% of people would never have that option, no matter how hard they worked on their swing."

Burman continued:
Really? Mr. Mickelson, do you understand that the typical American would have to work about 75 years to earn that much money before tax?

Sir, you get paid astonishing amounts of money for playing golf–directly through the purses you win at tournaments and indirectly through all the endorsement deals that come with golf success.
"Do you have any idea how lucky you are?," Burman asked.
Syracuse Prof. to Phil Mickelson: Stop Whining About High Taxes

Too many folks who advocate higher taxes on the wealthy really don't believe the wealthy 'earned' their wealth. The wealthy are just 'lucky'.

In the case of Hollywood stars, they'd be correct.

MadDogMarine

You mean the government blessed him to keep $18,000,000 of his own money? The outrage! :tantrum

It is a simple question of who do you trust to handle revenue properly.
1)The Federal govt who wants to control every aspect of our lives to include what kind(if any) gun I can own and
2)Bail out rich fat cat bankers that are swallowed up in derivative debt and
3)Pay for the drones that are killing innocent women and children in foreign countries and bring those drones over here to spy on Americans and
4)Run assault weapons across the border to drug gangs so our own border patrol agents are killed etc,etc,
and
5)has saddled our nation,children and grand children with a $15 TRILLION
debt that gets worse every year.

OR

Mr. Mikelson??
Sorry to all the communists on this forum who endorse the 2nd Plank of the Communist Manifesto, a heavy progressive income tax scheme.

My vote goes 100% to Mr. Mikelson.

The Fair Tax is nothing more than another scheme to keep the out of control federal govt well funded and in control.

tommyjo

Wow...is that misleading...and...most likely wrong. Or Mr. Mikelson needs to stop using Turbotax to file his taxes! He certainly is a dumbass if, as he is quoted having said, passed up ownership in the San Diego Padres due, in part, to taxes.

What Does Phil Mickelson Actually Pay in Taxes? - Yahoo! Finance

Phil Mickelson apologizes for tax comments - News | FOX Sports on MSN

The guy is playing a damn game for a living and making tens of millions (900 times what the average family in this country makes)....and he is crying about it? He's going to stop playing gold because he pays too much in taxes? "F" him.

Tell the dumb SOB I'll trade places...he can slave over a desk all day for well over 99% less than he is making now and I'll go play in the sun, make commercials and jet around around the world....

Chris0nllyn

Wow...is that misleading...and...most likely wrong...

Of course it is...

Here's exerpts from one of the articles you posted.

'If you add up all the federal and you look at the disability and the unemployment and the Social Security and the state, my tax rate is 62, 63 percent,'' Mickelson had said

Under current tax rates, Mickelson would pay 13.3 percent in state income tax and 39.6 percent in federal income tax. That's 52.9 percent combined. Medicare and Medicaid is an additional 2 percent. The new health-care levy is .9 percent on earned income and 3.8 percent on investment income.

Self-employment taxes could total an additional 15.3 percent -- but that's only on income up to $113,000, accountants say. After that the rate is 2.9 percent.

Mickelson would also pay local taxes where he plays tournaments. That could add another one percent or two percent.

So the maximum Mickelson could pay in state and income taxes, payroll and other income-related taxes would be around 60 percent

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tell the dumb SOB I'll trade places...he can slave over a desk all day for well over 99% less than he is making now and I'll go play in the sun, make commercials and jet around around the world....

Yeah! Trade places! Eff him! What a boob! Yeah! Ye...uh...wait. You mean to tell me you can play golf as well as he can and you're not doing it?

Hmmm...

PsyOps

Pixelated
Yeah! Trade places! Eff him! What a boob! Yeah! Ye...uh...wait. You mean to tell me you can play golf as well as he can and you're not doing it?

Hmmm...

Wait! Wha...? Play flog? I don't know how...

I meant the money. GIVE me the money. I mean that's how Phil got it right? It just keeps landing in his lap right?

MadDogMarine

Are you talking about this Fair Tax? :confused:
FairTax - Americans For Fair Taxation

That is exactly the tax I am talking about.
First of all it would be illegal to implement because if I "consume" a product
in this state, a sales(consumption)tax by the federal govt breeches the commerce clause.
The federal govt has NO jurisdiction to tax any transaction that occurs solely INTRASTATE when their jurisdiction is restricted to INTERSTATE. The federal govt has no business sticking it's corrupt nose into a private Intrastate sale between myself and let's say Joe Smith's hardware store. Common sense shows how ridiculous this becomes.
To ensure fairness, we can't have people consuming goods from farmer's markets or yard sales now can we. So EVERYTHING WILL have to be monitored and audited to even a greater extent than it is today.
That "fairness" would also necessitate the elimination of cash and all transactions MUST be recorded to ensure a "FAIR" consumption tax is applied to everyone and no "bartering" takes place. You have just created another massive federal tax scheme giving the feds an excuse to stick it nose into everything we do. God help us.

So what is a fair tax.? The one's our founders gave us to keep the federal govt in check. It is in the Constitution and is referred to as the "rule of apportionment" discussed here:
TruthInTaxation.us :: The Universe Of All Possible Taxes

Needless to say the govt HATES this and is why they engaged in fraud to remove it's provisions from use and brought us the 2nd plank of the communist manifesto. This history of this fraud is discussed well in Aaron Russo's film America:Freedom to Fascism.

awpitt

Main Streeter
That is exactly the tax I am talking about.
First of all it would be illegal to implement because if I "consume" a product
in this state, a sales(consumption)tax by the federal govt breeches the commerce clause.
The federal govt has NO jurisdiction to tax any transaction that occurs solely INTRASTATE when their jurisdiction is restricted to INTERSTATE. The federal govt has no business sticking it's corrupt nose into a private Intrastate sale between myself and let's say Joe Smith's hardware store. Common sense shows how ridiculous this becomes.
To ensure fairness, we can't have people consuming goods from farmer's markets or yard sales now can we. So EVERYTHING WILL have to be monitored and audited to even a greater extent than it is today.
That "fairness" would also necessitate the elimination of cash and all transactions MUST be recorded to ensure a "FAIR" consumption tax is applied to everyone and no "bartering" takes place. You have just created another massive federal tax scheme giving the feds an excuse to stick it nose into everything we do. God help us.

So what is a fair tax.? The one's our founders gave us to keep the federal govt in check. It is in the Constitution and is referred to as the "rule of apportionment" discussed here:
TruthInTaxation.us :: The Universe Of All Possible Taxes

Needless to say the govt HATES this and is why they engaged in fraud to remove it's provisions from use and brought us the 2nd plank of the communist manifesto. This history of this fraud is discussed well in Aaron Russo's film America:Freedom to Fascism.

Based on some of your statements, I'm guessing that you haven't read up on the Fair Tax proposal. The authority for such a tax is covered by Clause 1, Section 8 of Article 1 of the United States Constitution. You mentioned farmers makets and yard sales yet the Fair Tax proposal does not apply to used items.

MadDogMarine

Based on some of your statements, I'm guessing that you haven't read up on the Fair Tax proposal. The authority for such a tax is covered by Clause 1, Section 8 of Article 1 of the United States Constitution. You mentioned farmers makets and yard sales yet the Fair Tax proposal does not apply to used items.

" authority for such a tax is covered by Clause 1, Section 8 of Article 1 of the United States "
WHEN THEY HAVE JURISDICTION to impose such a tax.
You need to research the term jurisdiction!

What is so difficult in understanding this? Taxing commerce is regulating it!
United States Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3). The clause states that the United States Congress shall have power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.
And you haven't read the Constitution
This clearly limits their jurisdiction to INTERSTATE COMMERCE ONLY!
Article I, Section 2, clause 3, which states:
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.[5]

But that is OK, we will just throw all those provisions of the Constitution in the trash!

"Fair Tax proposal does not apply to used items"
Really. How about all those "used" items you buy from the local thrift shop. How about all those "used" cars that you buy, you certainly aren't taxed on those. Ya right!
And you trust our loving govt to ensure they stay excluded??????
Some states are already requiring licenses for yard sales.
Haven't people learned their lesson when it comes to incrementalism??
I guess not.
The goal is to get rid of cash. plain and simple.
And guess who claims the FAIR tax is legal?, the federal govt of course.
And who supports this "fair tax". those who support big govt of course.
AND i CAN ASSURE YOU THE GOVT WILL BE DEEPLY INVOLVED TO ENSURE THE TAX IS FAIR, which is one of their favorite words.
I, for the life of me, do not understand why people love big govt.????

Last edited:

MadDogMarine

The lies have already started when it comes to the "fair tax"
"In reality, the FairTax rate is not 23%. Messrs. Linder and Chambliss get this figure by calculating the tax as if it were already incorporated into the price of goods and services. ...[T]hink of it this way. If a product costs $1 at retail, the FairTax adds 30%, for a total of $1.30. Since the 30-cent tax is 23% of $1.30, FairTax supporters say the rate is 23% rather than 30%. "
Economist's View: The Deceptive Presentation of the FairTax Proposal

I believe the below is the reality of the fair tax

"The Fraud of the FairTax

The FairTax is not the solution. And because it allows the federal government to confiscate the wealth of American citizens less intrusively and more efficiently, it will become part of the problem—the problem of the ever-increasing, ever-intruding, ever-destroying welfare/warfare state. The FairTax is a fraud. Yet Boortz ties rejection of the FairTax to believing that America is a great country because of its government, "as so many politicians do." Politicians who oppose the FairTax do so because they "thrive on dependency."

The antidote to the fraud of the FairTax is a good dose of the wisdom of Murray Rothbard: "There can be no such thing as 'fairness in taxation.' Taxation is nothing but organized theft, and the concept of a 'fair tax' is therefore every bit as absurd as that of 'fair theft.'"

Boortz believes that the abolition of the income tax will make the bad day of April 15 "just another beautiful spring day." With its unsubstantiated claims, ridiculous lies, and numerous problems, the FairTax will ensure that everyday is a bad day, not just April 15."

There Is No Such Thing as a Fair Tax - Laurence M. Vance - Mises Daily

philibusters

That is rough but it seems if he had hired some accountants to work with him through the year he probably could have paid less.

For the very rich, accountants are an expense that generates revenue.

Supposedly Elvis Pressley used to 80% of his income in taxes because he more or less just the IRS and state tax agency do his returns for him because he didn't want to handle it. I guess Elvis point of view was that no matter what he was making good money, but he really would have saved money by hiring accountants.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

Hmmm...

My first reaction to the post was the same as yours.

Maybe TommyJo can also act as well and trade places with her favorite actor, cause they have fun pretending to be other folks and make millions. It would actually be easier as many actors aren't very good. Golfers have to be good (or at least better than their competition) to win.

But the post really illustrates the envy of most liberals.