Old landfills

So according to the rumor mill (somd forums), the field where the Charlotte Hall Food Lion was built used to be a landfill and now I read that where Persimmon Hills is used to be a landfill. Persimmon Hills being a landfill is surprising with the mature trees in the neighborhood. Anybody have any proof to backup the claims about these landfills?

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
So according to the rumor mill (somd forums), the field where Food Lion was built used to be a landfill and now I read that where Hickory Hills is used to be a landfill. Hickory Hills being a landfill is surprising with the mature trees in the neighborhood. Anybody have any proof to backup the claims about these landfills?

Which Foodlion?

Where did you get this info from?

FLHBABE

Since you refer to Hickory Hills I'm thinking you might mean the California Food Lion? If you are that area was never a landfill - it used to be woods with pasture for horses until the shopping center was built - lived off of Old Rolling Road so definitely know that area was not a landfill - the only landfill I've ever known about has been the one off of St. Andrews Road, which is still there.

nobody really

I need a nap
So according to the rumor mill (somd forums), the field where Food Lion was built used to be a landfill and now I read that where Hickory Hills is used to be a landfill. Hickory Hills being a landfill is surprising with the mature trees in the neighborhood. Anybody have any proof to backup the claims about these landfills?

you could go to county records or start digging.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Since you refer to Hickory Hills I'm thinking you might mean the California Food Lion? If you are that area was never a landfill - it used to be woods with pasture for horses until the shopping center was built - lived off of Old Rolling Road so definitely know that area was not a landfill - the only landfill I've ever known about has been the one off of St. Andrews Road, which is still there.

Yep. All woods in that area. WalMart used to be a trailer park.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Years ago, The landfill I hauled everything to (often returning with as much as I took...:whistle:) was near Chaptico. I lived in 7D then. I don't remember when they closed it but it was quite a few years ago.

Which Foodlion?

Where did you get this info from?
Edited the post! My bad. I had a brain fart and put Hickory Hills instead of Persimmon Hills. I was also talking about the Charlotte Hall Food Lion.

These 2 locations being "landfills" has been mentioned in various threads on here. All doing with construction (proposed or active).

dave1959

So according to the rumor mill (somd forums), the field where the Charlotte Hall Food Lion was built used to be a landfill and now I read that where Persimmon Hills is used to be a landfill. Persimmon Hills being a landfill is surprising with the mature trees in the neighborhood. Anybody have any proof to backup the claims about these landfills?

why do you ask ...?

BernieP

Resident PIA
you could go to county records or start digging.

:killingme

actually I was going to say / ask, "landfill or dump"?
I doubt it was a landfill - that implies compacting and layering with dirt.
More likely it was simply a dump, and an informal duimp at that (i.e. people just used the area to dispose of stuff)

SandieGarry

Old Landfill

The only one I can remember is in Mechanicsville, across from Wawa at the 5 - 235 split. It's on the northbound side. You can still see remnants of the entrance I believe. Before you ask, it's just North of the housing development that was built a few years ago. I'm 99% sure the two don't connect.