Help me understand...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why would the plows come through and do two three roads in my 'hood, but ignore the other two, which would have been nothing to go ahead and clear? So now, 5 or 6 hours later, there's another plow in here doing those two little roads.

Stupid.

All public roads or some public some private?

In our neighborhood the main roads are maintained by the County and the side roads are private.

The County roads are marked with the traditional green road signs and the private roads by blue signs.

That is how it works in the mean streets of Dahlia Park anyway.

This morning the main road(s) had been plowed but the others had not and I assumed they were awaiting the contractor hired by the HOA.

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
Why would the plows come through and do two three roads in my 'hood, but ignore the other two, which would have been nothing to go ahead and clear? So now, 5 or 6 hours later, there's another plow in here doing those two little roads.

Stupid.

Just to make you shake your head.

Stupid.

It is all part of Obama's grand plan. :coffee:

These guys develop a pattern for going down one road and up another, and 'forget' about a road or two. If it requires them to stop, backup, make weird turns, it gets overlooked.

thatguy

Stupid.

more than likely its a county versus state thing.

bcp

In My Opinion
my question is why waste the money for plows when its only a small amount of snow in the first place.
not a car made that couldnt make it through what fell.

glhs837

Power with Control
my question is why waste the money for plows when its only a small amount of snow in the first place.

Because if we let cars pack it down, it becomes ice that takes a week or better to melt, whereas if we plow, it's mostly gone by the end of the day.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
About half the island is county road and half state. Neither will touch a single flake of the others snow.

bcp

In My Opinion
Because if we let cars pack it down, it becomes ice that takes a week or better to melt, whereas if we plow, it's mostly gone by the end of the day.

I still dont have a problem with the remains of an unplowed road.

I would prefer it just be left alone.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Stupid.

They get called out for emergencies in other areas.

Well, I'd agree with you if it remained snow. Problem is that it melts a bit, gets packed by tires, then freezes and you get these very hard ice ruts. I really hate driving on them.

If it never gets above freezing and says packed snow, yup. I agree. So easy to get around in VT and MA after a snowstorm.

I agree. The ruts keep you on the road and you can hit the curves harder. That damn stop sign at the bottom of the hill has to go though. Maybe I'll take it out next time through. Sideways. :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living

Stupid.

It could be the operators are unfamiliar with the roads and areas they are plowing. They may "forget" a road or three and not even realize it. It's not like they have regular routes to follow- or have any reason to know the roads in your area otherwise. I don't think the plows were called out at all last year (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!) and who knows if they are the same operators from 2 or 3 years ago; when we experienced more snow.

For 4 years, I did snow removal in upstate NY for a large university/research facility/hospital open 24/7 and we had set routes to follow. Parking lots & roads- familiar places we did day after day, week after week. "Routine"

God, I miss those paychecks!!!

TNRabbit

That depends entirely on where you are. In our neighborhood, we had a good 5", with drifting on top of that, that left a foot or more on some roads.

5 miles north of us, some places only had 1".

But I agree ppl need to learn how to drive in snow.....

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell

Stupid.

It is quite interesting that you say this, but in another post you state you wish to retire to an uncivilized area. I have a 4 wheel drive, so I could care less about plows. :dye:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It is quite interesting that you say this, but in another post you state you wish to retire to an uncivilized area. I have a 4 wheel drive, so I could care less about plows. :dye:

So reading for comprehension isn't something they taught at your school? Or were you just absent that day?

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
So reading for comprehension isn't something they taught at your school? Or were you just absent that day?

Well dawlin', reading comprehension covered more than one day, so I reckon I attended. It was the 4 mile hike, across 3 streams and two corn fields that sometimes caused tartiness... lunch money bought the smokes for the trek... anything else? lol.