St. Mary's Schools Are closed Today

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Just saw that on Channel 4. My guess is that they'd opt for a 2 hour delayed opening but then will probably call for a 2 hour early dismissal with the impending snow, so why bother opening at all. I'm waiting around for Calvert Co to do the same before heading into work.

NAS

I know the streets in my neighborhood are very icy. The kids here have to walk down a hill which is very icy. Maybe the secondary roads are the blame!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Just saw that on Channel 4. My guess is that they'd opt for a 2 hour delayed opening but then will probably call for a 2 hour early dismissal with the impending snow, so why bother opening at all. I'm waiting around for Calvert Co to do the same before heading into work.

From the Calvert Co Public Schools website:

F.A.Q. About Weather Decisions

Every effort will be made to make a decision to delay or close schools by 5:00 a.m. In order to start schools on time, the first buses must be on the road by 6:00 a.m. In order to close schools two hours early, every effort will be made to make a decision by 10:45 a.m.
Calvert County Public Schools: Status and Alert Page

As for 2 hour delayed opening or for 2 hour early dismissal - it's all about the $$. If they are not there a certain amount of hours each day - they do not receive the Federal funding for the school lunch program.

Last edited:

libby

I just got an email from Ryken, but not the text or phone call (the notice usually comes in a few different ways) and I thought it must be a prank.
Well, they can clean.

MSLucente

The back roads and secondary roads are so icy for some reason they were never plowed or sanded. I've fallen at least 3 times today but I'm not bothered, my toddler thinks its hysterical.

Anyone know how much we are getting this afternoon?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
From the Calvert Co Public Schools website:

As for 2 hour delayed opening or for 2 hour early dismissal - it's all about the $$. If they are not there a certain amount of hours each day - they do not receive the Federal funding for the school lunch program.

I'm happy Calvert Co is open. Kids get to go to school and I got to sleep in a little and still got to work at a decent time. And... my boss didn't make me take leave for coming in two hours late. BONUS!!:yahoo:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
The back roads and secondary roads are so icy for some reason they were never plowed or sanded. I've fallen at least 3 times today but I'm not bothered, my toddler thinks its hysterical.

Anyone know how much we are getting this afternoon?

Supposedly 1-3 inches.

foodcritic

I've lived here for about 7 years and still can't believe how they handle snow around here. You would think they would work out a better plan for all these roads. And my thought about people on back roads is deal with it. Should the whole county shut down because you can't get your road plowed? I live on a private road and we do just fine. Besides the kids have to walk up the road to the main road to catch the bus.

thurley42

HY;FR
I've lived here for about 7 years and still can't believe how they handle snow around here. You would think they would work out a better plan for all these roads. And my thought about people on back roads is deal with it. Should the whole county shut down because you can't get your road plowed? I live on a private road and we do just fine. Besides the kids have to walk up the road to the main road to catch the bus.

Maybe you should just deal with the way it is.

drivingdaisy

People have said (who knows if it is true) that they are more likely to close schools on a Friday/Monday (especially if they already had off Thurs) because they can save money on electricity, etc by not opening.

Either they use their snow days now and go the days listed at the end of the school year or they don't use the days now and get off a few days early at the end of the year. They will still go to school the same amount of days (unless there is a state of emergancy snow day).

awpitt

Main Streeter

My understanding is that Charles is open with two hour early dismissal. Calvert schools are open today. They cover the Ranch Club. If buses can navigate the road in CRE, then buses should be bale to navigate any road in SoMD. SMCPS could've been open today. A two hour delay or early dismissal would've been reasonable.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My understanding is that Charles is open with two hour early dismissal. Calvert schools are open today. They cover the Ranch Club. If buses can navigate the road in CRE, then buses should be bale to navigate any road in SoMD. SMCPS could've been open today. A two hour delay or early dismissal would've been reasonable.

They just announced a 2hr early dismissal for Calvert.

I'm sitting in Charles County right now and they got a dusting from yesterday's snow event where as we had 5 inches in Leonardtown at 4 a.m. yesterday... there are also a lot of county roads in St. Mary's that were left pretty icy. Can't see why anyone would expect St. Mary's to make the same call as Charles County...:confused:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm sitting in Charles County right now and they got a dusting from yesterday's snow event where as we had 5 inches in Leonardtown at 4 a.m. yesterday... there are also a lot of county roads in St. Mary's that were left pretty icy. Can't see why anyone would expect St. Mary's to make the same call as Charles County...:confused:

Stop making sense!

mitzi

Obviously you've never lived on a windy back road a few miles from the main road. The buses do have to travel on those roads to get the kids.