Furlough

RJO

All,
Like it or not, the base a very large part of the economy down here. With all this talk about furloughing the federal workers 20% of the days from April until at least the end of September (thus effectively reducing their pay by 20%), this could have large impacts on the economy down here. With 20% less pay, these workers still have their monthly bills which they must take care of, so pretty much the money to eating out, shopping for non need items, real estate, etc. will be the first of the belt tightening measures. This means businesses around here will have to cut their costs (thus let some people go or tell them to work less also). This will happen longer than the furlough as people will drain contingency funds and will have to build those back up. This could also mean people going into foreclosure making the housing market down here taking a hit. To put it more simply, even though you might not think the furlough will effect you because you don't work for the federal government (or contractors), this furlough will most likely hit you in some way also.

So where I am getting to. They most likely don't read many of their e-mails but we need to keep correspondence with our congress critters. Remind them that they serve us, not their party. We need to keep pressure on congress. Most of all we need to be willing to dispose of the leaders that don't work at the next election (primary or main election). We need to not have a short memory when the elections come.

abcxyz

Maryland loves to vote for the Dems, let them eat cake- it is for the greater good- HAHHAHAHA!!!

I say make it 30% and let's get this party started!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
They most likely don't read many of their e-mails but we need to keep correspondence with our congress critters. Remind them that they serve us, not their party. We need to keep pressure on congress. Most of all we need to be willing to dispose of the leaders that don't work at the next election (primary or main election). We need to not have a short memory when the elections come.

Stenny and the democrats know what's best for you :huggy:

Don't they do the same things for black people that my great great grandfather used to do? They just want to do it for everybody.

BOP

Stenny and the democrats know what's best for you :huggy:

Don't they do the same things for black people that my great great grandfather used to do? They just want to do it for everybody.

It doesn't help that the repulsivecrats constantly alienate a labor force that is inherently conservative - and so has historically voted demonrat.

Here is an article explaining the potential fuloughs to come...

DoD civilian workers face one-day-a-week furloughs under sequester - FederalNewsRadio.com

As part of its planning for sequestration, the Department of Defense said it's getting rid of tens of thousands of temporary employees, and on Friday, it made clear that should the automatic budget cuts occur, the remainder of the civilian workforce would face furloughs of one day per week without pay for the rest of fiscal year 2013.

Carter said furlough notices had not yet been issued to the department's 790,000 full-time civil servants, but DoD would have no other option if the department continues for the balance of the year without an approved budget and if sequestration takes effect. The pre-programmed cuts would reduce every program and project's approved spending by roughly 9 percent.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It doesn't help that the repulsivecrats constantly alienate a labor force that is inherently conservative - and so has historically voted demonrat.
I have no idea what this means, who are "repulsivecrats" and since when do conservatives vote "demonrat".

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have already lost $100 a paycheck due to the new taxes. Losing an additional day of pay per week would suck even more.

bcp

In My Opinion
We have been furloughed two weeks each year for the last three, have not seen a pay raise of any sort for the same period and the taxes/fees have been going up steady.

DEEKAYPEE8569

All,
Like it or not, the base a very large part of the economy down here. With all this talk about furloughing the federal workers 20% of the days from April until at least the end of September (thus effectively reducing their pay by 20%), this could have large impacts on the economy down here. With 20% less pay, these workers still have their monthly bills which they must take care of, so pretty much the money to eating out, shopping for non need items, real estate, etc. will be the first of the belt tightening measures. This means businesses around here will have to cut their costs (thus let some people go or tell them to work less also). This will happen longer than the furlough as people will drain contingency funds and will have to build those back up. This could also mean people going into foreclosure making the housing market down here taking a hit. To put it more simply, even though you might not think the furlough will effect you because you don't work for the federal government (or contractors), this furlough will most likely hit you in some way also.

So where I am getting to. They most likely don't read many of their e-mails but we need to keep correspondence with our congress critters. Remind them that they serve us, not their party. We need to keep pressure on congress. Most of all we need to be willing to dispose of the leaders that don't work at the next election (primary or main election). We need to not have a short memory when the elections come.

First, taxes and deductions go up, reducing take home pay; NOW there's likely to be a reduction in hours and a four day week every week, wether it's wanted or not.....

I'll bet Congress gets a full day's and a full week's pay.

philibusters

I have already lost $100 a paycheck due to the new taxes. Losing an additional day of pay per week would suck even more.

True, but I still prefer the furloughs over the reduction in force. But yes, losing one fifth of my income would force me to tighten my budget in a big way.

What I'm curious about, is how many people, who can, will try to compensate the loss by working OT

The fuloughs will be happening because there will be NO money to fund full 40 hour weeks so why would you think there would be any money to cover OT? Good thing you are cute...:huggy:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
First, taxes and deductions go up, reducing take home pay; NOW there's likely to be a reduction in hours and a four day week every week, wether it's wanted or not.....

I'll bet Congress gets a full day's and a full week's pay.

Yes they will. And they will tell you that the furloughs are the Republicans' (and quite possibly GW Bush's) fault! Pure politics. Congress has not passed a budget in over 4 years. It is time for people to start DEMANDING that they do something.

bcp

In My Opinion
Yes they will. And they will tell you that the furloughs are the Republicans' (and quite possibly GW Bush's) fault! Pure politics. Congress has not passed a budget in over 4 years. It is time for people to start DEMANDING that they do something.

Gonna be hard for them to blame the republicans for the state and county furloughs for the last 3 years in Maryland..

I think we can all agree that they are to doing of the POS democrats in this state.
Interesting that Republican run states dont have this problem, yet democrat run states do, as well as the democrat run federal government.. Hmmmmm Is there something common we can determin from all of this?