Navy orders cuts to begin now; thousands fired

LuckyMe143

Navy orders cuts to begin now; thousands to be fired | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Navy flag officers and top executives were told Thursday to begin cutting expenses - laying off thousands of temporary civilian workers, reducing base operations and preparing to cancel maintenance work on more than two dozen ships and hundreds of aircraft.

My Dad is one to be getting laid off. :/ This happens a lot to him. He lives paycheck to paycheck just like the rest of us.I think after this layoff he won't be able to bounce back. Hope he can set his pride aside and move up here with me. He's old and he can retire.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr

bcp

In My Opinion
but the welfare crowd and the filthy illegals still get their free stuff right?

thats really all I care about, making sure the non productive live better than the working class.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
We can only hope that most, if not all, of these laid off workers voted (D) last year, but they still will not learn.

"The cutbacks are in response to Congress' continuing to fund the Navy at the 2012 budget level, rather than providing what the service was expecting for 2013. Unable to agree on an annual budget, Congress approved a continuing resolution to keep the government operating at 2012 budget levels until March 27."

The House (R) agreed on a budget. The Senate (D) has not even presented one in four years.

Who's holding things up here, Harry?

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
The House (R) agreed on a budget. The Senate (D) has not even presented one in four years.

That's not how it works. The House (R) and the Senate (D) both have to agree on a budget and send it to the POTUS for signature or veto.

perfectorec

We can only hope that most, if not all, of these laid off workers voted (D) last year, but they still will not learn.

"The cutbacks are in response to Congress' continuing to fund the Navy at the 2012 budget level, rather than providing what the service was expecting for 2013. Unable to agree on an annual budget, Congress approved a continuing resolution to keep the government operating at 2012 budget levels until March 27."

Yea because we all know spending 60% of the world's defense budget is sustainable. I swear I wonder how some of you people made it this far in life.

perfectorec

but the welfare crowd and the filthy illegals still get their free stuff right?

thats really all I care about, making sure the non productive live better than the working class.

What did all you knuckleheads tell the rest of us suffering through the Bush dictatorship? Love or Leave it! Crybaby.

abcxyz

It is a shame the current administration would rather cut defense spending than welfare spending. I'm a fan of cutting both but that is another ball of wax. Navy going to have to run a tighter ship!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yea because we all know spending 60% of the world's defense budget is sustainable. I swear I wonder how some of you people made it this far in life.

Since defense spending as a percentage of GDP and of the budget as a whole has remained fairly constant or even declined in recent times, what makes today so different that now its no longer "sustainable"? In your esteemed opinion.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Read a copy of CNO's direction today that spelled out, for the DoD civilian population, the potential number of furlough days they are facing (22) and perhaps even an actual RIF of 10% farther in to the year. Edit oops: The 10% workforce reduction was floated from a different source (which I'll have to find again); only the 22 furlough days is in CNO's letter.

Never heard any more about SecNav's earlier intitiative. :coffee:

Navy Replaces All Sailors With Overpaid Contractors To Cut Costs | The Duffel Blog

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
What did all you knuckleheads tell the rest of us suffering through the Bush dictatorship? Love or Leave it! Crybaby.

Funny, I recall the financial problems starting after the communists took over the congress.
Im thinking the dems pretty much own this one. They are after all the entitlement party.

As far as the budget problems,
1) Bill Clinton is the one that set the housing bubble into play. Bush and the republican party are at fault for not correcting it when they saw it coming.
2) the wars were expensive and racked up a huge deficit, however, end the war, end the cost. Can the same be said about the current silly bastards health care rape? or, is that something that is going to get out of hand and cause millions of currently insured Americans to lose coverage.

Vince

The House (R) agreed on a budget. The Senate (D) has not even presented one in four years.Who's holding things up here, Harry?
Navy personnel get fired, civilian workers laid off, gov't workers will be furloughed.....etc. Why isn't there a clause in the system allowing us to fire Congress when they fail? Fire the president because he's already a failure. Oh, wait, it's called voting and the stupid Dems put all these people there that can't do their job. :doh:

awpitt

Main Streeter
and only congress has passed a budget
...every year

...and that means nothing until both Houses of Congress agree with each other (via conf committee) and send that legislation to the President for signature or veto. There are hundreds of bills that get passed by one or the other of the two Houses of Congress that go no where because the two Houses of Congress can't agree on a final bill.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
...and that means nothing until both Houses of Congress agree with each other (via conf committee) and send that legislation to the President for signature or veto. There are hundreds of bills that get passed by one or the other of the two Houses of Congress that go no where because the two Houses of Congress can't agree on a final bill.

It's not about agreeing

The Senate refuses to do it's job and produce a budget

awpitt

Main Streeter
It's not about agreeing

The Senate refuses to do it's job and produce a budget

Actually, it is about agreeing. The Senate could produce a budget and we'd still be right where we are because the two budets would be different. The bottom line is that the House of Reps and the Senate have to agree on final legislation before it can be sent to the Pesident.

bulldog

Actually, it is about agreeing. The Senate could produce a budget and we'd still be right where we are because the two budets would be different. The bottom line is that the House of Reps and the Senate have to agree on final legislation before it can be sent to the Pesident.

Yes, but, until the Senate produces a budget to be considered...they have failed. At least if they presented one, it could be studied and some agreements made...maybe. Maybe not.

SG_Player1974

Hey... Look at it this way...

If you get laid off, you will be able to get free health care AND collect unemployment for how many YEARS now?? :duel: