Boy Scouts ending ban on gay members, leaders

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Exclusive: Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders - U.S. News

The discussion of a potential change in policy is nearing its final stages, according to outside scouting supporters. If approved, the change could be announced as early as next week, after the BSA's national board holds a regularly scheduled meeting.

Only seven months ago, the Boy Scouts affirmed a policy of banning gay members, after a nearly two-year examination of the issue by a committee of volunteers convened by national leaders of the Boy Scouts of America, known as the BSA.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Another peal of the death knell of the BSA and society as a whole - allowing anything "just because of PC" means you stand for nothing.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Yea, church seems like a better option
I've never said churches were the best places to be, especially the RCC in light of their "history" with priests & boys. In fact, I have a fairly low opinion of most churches today because many of them aren't doing much good. It's buyer beware.
Some of them yes, some of the straight ones I'd have second thoughts about though.
You're a terrible dad if you'd let your kids go out there with a gay men.

bcp

In My Opinion
personally, I would pull my kid out of scouts at this point.
well, if I had a son and he was in scouts...

MMDad

Lem Putt
Would you want your son to go out in the woods for a week with a gay man? :smack: idiot!

You should learn a little bit about the topic before you spout stupid. BSA strictly forbids exactly what you said here - scouts cannot go out in the woods with one adult. Period.

Second, pedophilia and homosexuality are not the same. Straight men can be pedophiles, just like gay men can be.

Most of the incidents of abuse of scouts have been by someone who was also a parent, a father. Not some flamboyant queen wearing a pink neckerchief. Those are the ones I'm worried about. The ones who you'd never expect to do anything.

But given your false choice, I'd have to say that I'd much rather send my kid out in the woods with a gay man than a pedophile. Seems like an easy choice to me.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
How many gay men in power have abused little boys?
How many priests have abused little boys?
Just because someone is gay, doesn't make them a pedo.
No but it DOES increase the odds of it happening. Listen to yourself! You just mentioned those priests. Aren't they "gay men in power"?

MMDad

Lem Putt
You're a terrible dad if you'd let your kids go out there with a gay men.

Look Merlin! Someone who has never parented for a day in his life is judjing your parenting abilities.

Next thing you know he'll be giving marriage advice.

Amazing how someone with zero experience is so quick to criticize.

rmorse

No but it DOES increase the odds of it happening. Listen to yourself! You just mentioned those priests. Aren't they "gay men in power"?

Following your logic, no boy should go camping with a gay man, no girl should go camping with a gay woman, no boy should go camping with a straight woman, no girl should go camping with a straight man.

Gotcha.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
You should learn a little bit about the topic before you spout stupid. BSA strictly forbids exactly what you said here - scouts cannot go out in the woods with one adult. Period.
Second, pedophilia and homosexuality are not the same. Straight men can be pedophiles, just like gay men can be...
How nice of you to give them a pass. Maybe you should learn more also. So what if they're different? Pedo or homo; I wouldn't want my kids around any of that type of mental illness. I don't care if there are 10 adults out there.

Are you saying that nothing can happen even with multiple adults present? Now who's stupid?

rmorse

Pedo or homo; I wouldn't want my kids around any of that type of mental illness.

I think that goes back to the "bigotry" comment....

EDIT: And for the record, I would rather my child be around a gay man than a religious extremist. I feel like the latter has a far higher chance of damaging my child.

(Also for the record, I should probably state that I don't have a child yet.)

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Look Merlin! Someone who has never parented for a day in his life is judjing your parenting abilities. Next thing you know he'll be giving marriage advice. Amazing how someone with zero experience is so quick to criticize.
Your soo ignorant. You'd be surprised at what I know...
Following your logic, no boy should go camping with a gay man, no girl should go camping with a gay woman, no boy should go camping with a straight woman, no girl should go camping with a straight man. Gotcha.
Only a liberal like you would call that idiocy logic. The first 2 I'd agree with but not the last two.