No more Saturday mail

Bay_Kat

Tropical
The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to deliver packages six days a week under a plan aimed at saving about $2 billion, the financially struggling agency says.

In an announcement scheduled for later Wednesday, the service is expected to say the Saturday mail cutback would begin in August.

The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points -- package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet use.

Under the new plan, mail would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays. Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open on Saturdays.

Postal Service to cut Saturday mail to trim costs | Fox News

They could bring mail to my house once a week and I'd still get nothing but junk. Everything is paperless.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Didn't the USPS lose something over 15 billion last year? If there are not a lot of other cost-cutting measures, this one is no better than pissing on a forest fire.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Actually, this really will save money. Locations won't be open (no overhead costs - electric, oil, water, etc). Vehicles won't be running (maintenance, gas, oil, etc.) And no employees will be collecting overtime.

My SIL works in a school district out of state. They have a "CWS" type of schedule and that one day every two weeks when buses aren't running and the schools aren't open, saves a heck of a lot of money. It was amazing the amount of money they found in their public coffers after the policy was inititated. It also made the students and the teachers much happier. :lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
They could bring mail to my house once a week and I'd still get nothing but junk. Everything is paperless.

I think JUNK Mail is the only thing bringing in any money

didn't the UPSP go after businesses in the 1980's over FAX Machine use

basically claiming a right to all communication ... that Faxes were only supposed to be for 'urgent' items the USPS could not service

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Comparing the government agency to a commercial enterprise, how are UPS and FedEx doing?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Comparing the government agency to a commercial enterprise, how are UPS and FedEx doing?

Except that the US Post Office has been forced to operate under completely different rules as far as their retirement system is concerned due to a 2006 Congressional mandate. No one, not the Civil Service not the private sector, has to comply with the rules the Postal Service has to.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Except that the US Post Office has been forced to operate under completely different rules as far as their retirement system is concerned due to a 2006 Congressional mandate. No one, not the Civil Service not the private sector, has to comply with the rules the Postal Service has to.

So the USPS should be allowed to build up a huge liability for their retirement too?

Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Oh..and that retirement funding amount accounts for what?..roughly half of their "losses" last year (I disagree that the money to fund the retirement obligation is, in fact, lost)?

Red herring for lunch again today, I see.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Actually, this really will save money. :

Yes...about $2 billion, according to the OP. My comment was that 2 billion was only a down payment on the total annual operating losses of $15.9 billion dollars

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Does this even bother anyone?

Well, yes. But on the grand scheme of things I can suck it up and adjust to it.

Personally I like to run my errands on a day off (as many do I am sure) and going to the Post Office is one of those things.

I'm glad they are actually introducing some money saving options instead of just raising the price of postage.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Well, yes. But on the grand scheme of things I can suck it up and adjust to it.

Personally I like to run my errands on a day off (as many do I am sure) and going to the Post Office is one of those things.

I'm glad they are actually introducing some money saving options instead of just raising the price of postage.

Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open on Saturdays.

MarieB

I don't know why they didn't do this years ago, and I'm not sure why they don't partner with private shops for Saturday walk in service. I've lived a few places where there were post office services inside small, local gift shops, etc

Why not add self service kiosks to the busiest locations or Saturday and sunday service?

h3mech

I’m good with this all I get is junk mail, all my bills are done digitally, talk to my family via facebook and emails

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't know why they didn't do this years ago, and I'm not sure why they don't partner with private shops for Saturday walk in service. I've lived a few places where there were post office services inside small, local gift shops, etc

Why not add self service kiosks to the busiest locations or Saturday and sunday service?

Growing up in very rural farm country 50 some years ago, I remember when almost EVERY post office was simply a little side room off the community general or hardware store, run 100% by proprietors of said stores. In return, they received some base pay and some rent money every month.