How 'Barney Cam' made G. W. Bush's dog a Web star

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Barney, the former first dog who died last week, is remembered by Times Managing Editor Jimmy Orr, a staffer in George W. Bush's White House who created the Barney Cam videos that were a Web hit.

"Mr. Orr, this is the White House operator."

As a White House spokesman, I received phone calls like this all the time. But this was the first time the president's secretary had ordered me to report to the Oval Office immediately. Before 7 a.m. on a Saturday.

It was December 2003. Iraq was all over the news. We were closing in on the capture of Saddam Hussein. But — and the nation should be thankful — this wasn't my domain.

President George W. Bush had another reason for calling for me now.

Barney Cam.

How it happened

Whenever I'm asked to speak about my tenure in the White House, the conversation always shifts to Barney, the Scottish terrier whom the president regarded as the son he never had.

After Barney died Friday at age 12, I found myself thinking about how he became an Internet sensation.

In 2002, the White House was still closed to the public after the attacks of Sept. 11. I ran the White House website, and we wanted to use the Internet to better connect with citizens.

Our first attempt to bring people in to the White House — virtually — was a big hit. Millions of viewers went to our site to see President Bush give a personal video tour of the Oval Office.

During a brainstorming session, my deputy, Jane Cook, mentioned that the theme for the White House Christmas was "All Creatures Great and Small" — a tribute to presidential pets.

People liked our videos. People loved Barney. Why not strap a video camera to the first dog's head, chase him through the White House so viewers can see the Christmas decorations from his vantage point, and stream it over the Internet?
R.I.P., Barney: How 'Barney Cam' made George W. Bush's dog a Web star - latimes.com

A fluff piece but the comments are illustrative of the Donk mindset.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh no! I didn't know Barney had died. :frown:

What a bunch of ####ing jerks those comment #######s are.

Last edited: