State lacks doctors to meet demand of national hea

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
State lacks doctors to meet demand of national healthcare law

Lawmakers are working on proposals that would enable physician assistants, nurse practitioners, optometrists and pharmacists to diagnose, treat and manage some illnesses.

SACRAMENTO — As the state moves to expand healthcare coverage to millions of Californians under President Obama's healthcare law, it faces a major obstacle: There aren't enough doctors to treat a crush of newly insured patients.

Some lawmakers want to fill the gap by redefining who can provide healthcare.

They are working on proposals that would allow physician assistants to treat more patients and nurse practitioners to set up independent practices. Pharmacists and optometrists could act as primary care providers, diagnosing and managing some chronic illnesses, such as diabetes and high-blood pressure.

"We're going to be mandating that every single person in this state have insurance," said state Sen. Ed Hernandez (D-West Covina), chairman of the Senate Health Committee and leader of the effort to expand professional boundaries. "What good is it if they are going to have a health insurance card but no access to doctors?"

Hernandez's proposed changes, which would dramatically shake up the medical establishment in California, have set off a turf war with physicians that could contribute to the success or failure of the federal Affordable Care Act in California.

bcp

In My Opinion
And, my thoughts from a few years ago will become reality.
Minorities will be pushed through school to fill the need,
any student that uses government loans for a medical degree will be told where they are going to practice.
with a limited supply of doctors in a given area, you will be told who your doctor will be, you will not get to choose.
You can bet that if you are in an affluent area, your doctor will be LeQuisha and Respus both of whom graduated with a 2.1 GPA from med school.

You will be better off burning incense while swinging a dead chicken around your head while chanting made up words (acceptable in obamas home town in Kenya)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
they will all speak little engrish ...

.... and work for 1/2 the cost of an American

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
they will all speak little engrish ...

.... and work for 1/2 the cost of an American

You suggest there will still be non-Americans in the country by then. Don't you realize that the Rio Grande river will now be considered home base. Once you touch it with your foot you're SAFE for life. Anyone within the boundaries will be an American.

bcp

In My Opinion
You suggest there will still be non-Americans in the country by then. Don't you realize that the Rio Grande river will now be considered home base. Once you touch it with your foot you're SAFE for life. Anyone within the boundaries will be an American.

He did not say they wouldnt be "legal"
he just said that they woudnt speak English.

of course they will all be legal, if not, obama would have lied back when he said not one illegal would benefit from obamacare.

ylexot

Super Genius
There weren't enough doctors before Obamacare. And that's part of the reason that healthcare was expensive and will be even more expensive in the future. That whole supply/demand thing.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I am not really a fan of this. I think a better approach would be to open more minute clinic type places to cover your everyday type stuff..as well as levying an extra fee if you seek treatment for something that could be treated at home. If I see one more "cold symptom" patient in the er I am going to scream my head off. use your brains, folks. SO many people seek treatment for mundande things just because they can. Instead of running to CVS and buying some nyquil they come in the er hoping for some codeine syrup ont he tax payers dime. I wish it was lawful to screen patients in the er. I want to tell some of them to go home sooooo bad.

If more people would use doctors wisely and judiciously and clinics for evryday things and use good sound judgement and basic first aid for whatever is left..we wouldn't need the level f doctors they are thinking we need.

ylexot

Super Genius
I wish it was lawful to screen patients in the er.
:yeahthat:
That's one of the things that annoys me. Health care debates typically go like this:

Them (and it's Republicans and Democrats): We have to pay for them anyway.
Me: No we don't.
Them: We're paying for them when they go to the ER.
Me: Why?
Them: Because it's the law.
Me: Change that law. Don't create another bad law to deal with the unintended consequences of the original bad law.
Them: That's cruel to turn people away.
Me: It's cruel to turn away people without emergencies at the ER while someone else is dying from a real emergency because the doctor is having their time consumed by someone without an emergency? This policy is hurting people with real emergencies and I'm the cruel one? :confused:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
There weren't enough doctors before Obamacare. And that's part of the reason that healthcare was expensive and will be even more expensive in the future. That whole supply/demand thing.

The laws of supply and demand only have an impact on prices when the ability to set prices is unconstrained. In today's healthcare market, the prices of healthcare are set by outside, nonmedical agecies including the Federal government agencies, State government agencies and insurance companies. The skyrocketing cost of healthcare is fed by (1) a few very expensive medical specialties [generally vanity-stoking, non-Medicare specialties] (2) unconstrained advertising and offer of services people don't really deserve or need [think about the Scooter Store commercials "And I didn't pay a cent!" Who pays for those scooters [or talking diabetic testing machines, or walk-in bathtubs, or....] (3) free choice in America allows girls to get pregnant when it's inconvenient or not-a-good-idea, allows people to live high-risk lifestyles and eat whatever and how much they want (rather than need) (4) allows people to live beyond the statutory limit of 62 years. I could go on but the forum is getting cluttered with silliness and nobody wants to talk about the really important stuff.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I am not really a fan of this. I think a better approach would be to open more minute clinic type places to cover your everyday type stuff..as well as levying an extra fee if you seek treatment for something that could be treated at home. If I see one more "cold symptom" patient in the er I am going to scream my head off. use your brains, folks. SO many people seek treatment for mundande things just because they can. Instead of running to CVS and buying some nyquil they come in the er hoping for some codeine syrup ont he tax payers dime. I wish it was lawful to screen patients in the er. I want to tell some of them to go home sooooo bad.

If more people would use doctors wisely and judiciously and clinics for evryday things and use good sound judgement and basic first aid for whatever is left..we wouldn't need the level f doctors they are thinking we need.

The mini-care clinic was a great concept and many were opened (and a few continue to open). The problem they have discovered is that someone needs to pay them and the majority of people who normally use the E.R. for every-day healthcare won't go to the mini-care because MEDICAIDE doesn't pay. Too many people on the dole push out the real emergencies and paying customers at E.R.s as a result.

But the one, leading cause for burgeoning E.R. visits is the decay of the American family. Experienced old grandmothers were the midnight emergency room when I was growing up. Young mothers called the grandmother then the baby was colicky at night. Now the grandmother is only 10 or 11 years older than the mother of the colicky baby and is caring for her own newborn when called.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The problem they have discovered is that someone needs to pay them and the majority of people who normally use the E.R. for every-day healthcare won't go to the mini-care because MEDICAIDE doesn't pay. Too many people on the dole push out the real emergencies and paying customers at E.R.s as a result.

except @ Chicago Hospital employing Michelle, they transported poor patients elsewhere, so they would not get stuck with NON Payee's

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
:yeahthat:
That's one of the things that annoys me. Health care debates typically go like this:

Them (and it's Republicans and Democrats): We have to pay for them anyway.
Me: No we don't.
Them: We're paying for them when they go to the ER.
Me: Why?
Them: Because it's the law.
Me: Change that law. Don't create another bad law to deal with the unintended consequences of the original bad law.
Them: That's cruel to turn people away.
Me: It's cruel to turn away people without emergencies at the ER while someone else is dying from a real emergency because the doctor is having their time consumed by someone without an emergency? This policy is hurting people with real emergencies and I'm the cruel one? :confused:

it is straight up the fear of being sued. Same reasont hat er patients are typically overtreated. Mri's CT scans..these things are insanely expensive..because it is excelletn technology. and super useful for diagnosis. But we do not allow docs to use their brains and now every tom, dick and harry has to get a ct scan when they walk in off the street with a headache.