Adventurer gets billed for being rescued...

Seriously? She is shocked by receiving a $750 to cover the cost of her rescue?

After an all-terrain vehicle accident in the Utah desert last spring, 53-year-old Mikki Babineau expected a long recuperation for collapsed lungs and 18 broken ribs.

What the Idaho woman didn't expect was a $750 bill from the local Utah sheriff's office for sending a volunteer search and rescue unit to her aid, a service for which the sheriff in that county regularly charges fees.

For some stranded U.S. adventurers, rescues come at a cost - Yahoo! News

When the county later asked them to contribute to the $14,000 cost of the operation, an attorney for the snowmobilers wrote a letter contending local officials had no authority to ask for reimbursement.

Wyoming's Gingery and other backers of billing those saved say the issue is broader than money. Billing for rescues, they argue, would place ill-prepared hikers, skiers and snowmobilers, especially those engaged in extreme sports, on notice.

Recent advancements in outdoor equipment, navigational devices and off-road vehicles are allowing greater access to remote areas by more people with fewer outdoors and survival skills, complicating rescue missions, Gingery said.

Rescue expenses are also rising in states like Idaho, where gas taxes cover part of the tab. Since July, nearly $85,000 has been distributed for searches from a state fund. That compares to roughly $63,000 for all of fiscal year 2012 and about $71,000 the year before, Idaho State Police documents show.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I hope these folks never have to have the ambulance come to their house with paramedics on board.

I hope these folks never have to have the ambulance come to their house with paramedics on board.
We (in SOMD) don't get charged for a call to 911 resulting in an ambulance trip to the hospital, but from what I've heard about how abused the system is by those who use it as taxi service for non-life threatening issues I am all for our counties implementing a flat rate fee... let's say $100 per ride. If it truly is a life-threatening emergency $100 is a bargain.

bcp

In My Opinion
We (in SOMD) don't get charged for a call to 911 resulting in an ambulance trip to the hospital, but from what I've heard about how abused the system is by those who use it as taxi service for non-life threatening issues I am all for our counties implementing a flat rate fee... let's say $100 per ride. If it truly is a life-threatening emergency $100 is a bargain.

except it will have a loophole that allows low income people to have the fee waived.
So, in the end, those that can afford it, being the ones least likely to use it for the free ride, will be the ones suffering due to those that abused, and will continue to abuse the service.

except it will have a loophole that allows low income people to have the fee waived.
So, in the end, those that can afford it, being the ones least likely to use it for the free ride, will be the ones suffering due to those that abused, and will continue to abuse the service.

I hate when you interject entitlement reality into these kind of threads...:cussing:

JoeR

Actually Charles County started billing for BLS/ALS transports a few years ago.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

In PA the services, including Volunteer services, charged $500 a call.. the accaptable "norm" for most insurances.

Normally they billed expecting insurance companies to pay, but if you didn't pay it they didn't come after you.. no bill collections, no negative impact on credit reports etc..

If you had insurance the service was paid for, if you didn't it wasn't, but I bet it's still an eye opener for those using it as a taxi service.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

Can we also bill patients whose ER trips include a cold, stubbed toe, broken fingernail, split ends, and a runny nose?

bcp

In My Opinion
Can we also bill patients whose ER trips include a cold, stubbed toe, broken fingernail, split ends, and a runny nose?

Not sure about down there but up in Annapolis that would be about 90% of the non english speaking scum holding up the ER on any given night.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Seriously? She is shocked by receiving a $750 to cover the cost of her rescue?

After an all-terrain vehicle accident in the Utah desert last spring, 53-year-old Mikki Babineau expected a long recuperation for collapsed lungs and 18 broken ribs.

they could have left her to die :shrug:

SoMDGirl42

Co-worker has been on LPVRS for eons. Irks me when he tells me these stories.

True story:

Running with the rescue squad and get a call for "an injured subject" at 2:30 am. Get there, and there are about 10-15 people, no joke, in the house. Half of them didn't know an ambulance had been called. There are at least 8 vehicles in the driveway. We get to the "patient" and his pinky finger hurts. He thinks he broke it. When I asked him how long ago the injury took place, thinking an hour or so, he replied "a week ago." SO, at 2:30 in the morning after a week, you decide your pinky finger spran is an emergency requiring me to get out of bed, get dressed and drive your punk ass to the emergency room? Thank God I was and IV Tech and the ER doc agreed with me that he needed a large bore IV in case he needed pain managment or surgery. :biggrin:

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I think its fair.

Agreed. I would have no issue paying $750 for a rescue team to put their lives at risk to save mine. Guess she should have familiarized herself with rescue procedures in that state before taking the risk....or been more careful riding and not gotten injured in the first place.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
True story:

Running with the rescue squad and get a call for "an injured subject" at 2:30 am. Get there, and there are about 10-15 people, no joke, in the house. Half of them didn't know an ambulance had been called. There are at least 8 vehicles in the driveway. We get to the "patient" and his pinky finger hurts. He thinks he broke it. When I asked him how long ago the injury took place, thinking an hour or so, he replied "a week ago." SO, at 2:30 in the morning after a week, you decide your pinky finger spran is an emergency requiring me to get out of bed, get dressed and drive your punk ass to the emergency room? Thank God I was and IV Tech and the ER doc agreed with me that he needed a large bore IV in case he needed pain management or surgery. :biggrin:

At that point I would have told the slougher that it was going to have to be a central line stuck in one of his neck veins and advanced into his heart.