Prince George's County bans gun shows

bcp

In My Opinion
If you want to see a gun show in PG county, all you have to do is go into any neighborhood or shopping area after dark.

Not sure what banning a function that is attended by law abiding citizens is going to do. The animals will still have their guns.

limblips

PREMO Member
This will surely make a huge impact on PG Thugery!

Inmates serving time in state prisons said they obtained their guns from the following sources in percentages:

Purchased from a retail store 8.3%
Purchased at a pawn shop 3.8%
Purchased at a flea market 1.0%
Purchased at a gun show 0.7%
Obtained from friends or family 39.6%
Obtained on the street/illegal source 39.2%

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The news story is dated just yesterday and concluded with this line:

Only one gun show has been affected so far - the Silverado Gun Show, which was supposed to take place this weekend at the Showplace Arena.

Seems clear enough; no gun show this weekend and Showplace Arena.

sockgirl77

The news story is dated just yesterday and concluded with this line:

Seems clear enough; no gun show this weekend and Showplace Arena.

They're a bit late in reporting that. That was the show that I was referring to. Silverado's FB page had the cancellation up a few weeks back.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Some years back there was a gun show at the armory in La Plata every year. Hadn't gone to it in a long time...no idea if they still put it on.

I went mainly for the cheap ammunition that was usually available.

Now..there really isn't such a thing. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever see low-grade .223 and 7.62 ammo going for upwards of 75 cents per round.

Toxick

Splat
Not sure what banning a function that is attended by law abiding citizens is going to do.

It's going to make stupid people FEEL good.

That's all this is intended to do, and that's all this is going to do.

People will FEEL like something is being done. They'll get their little warm-fuzzy that the government cares about them (HAH!) and when they're tucked in their little beds (still 20 feet away or less from marauding bands of armed hooligans) they will curl their little toes in their little blankies, and FEEL like something was done that makes them a little safer than they would be if EEEEEEEVIL rightwingers and teabaggers ran things.

The rest of us who can think past our ####ing noses will shake our heads in disgust and contempt.

wellcraft28

Maybe P.G. county should put up a wall around the county to keep all the weapons and criminals out. Oh, I forgot they got them all there now. This idea is just ridiculous, so is the idea of banning gun shows.

protectmd

@ Building a wall. Just what portion of Southern Maryland do you live in? Perhaps its Lexington Park with the flat tops, low income housing and its on pit of crime and decay? Maybe its Chesapeake Ranch Estates, an area infested with gangs who are known for being brave enough to shoot at the houses of law enforcement? Nope, probably not those prime real estate areas. I am guessing its Waldorf. Over run and known for gang violence, low income thuggery, and general corruption, this portion of Southern Maryland is prime living! You can walk down a path and get shot in the head! Go for long walks on the rob and rape trail! If your feeling in the mood, take a stroll at the St. Charles Crime center, and go shopping next to citizens wearing ski masks inside of the mall. Southern Maryland was bad back in the day, even 10 years ago, when "Waldorf Crips" were white, Mechanicsville had "bloods" who were also white, and the youth would ride around committing armed robberies, assaults, drug sales and vandalism. These area's demographics changed, and now its "bad." Wake up, it was bad before. Its bad now. Calvert is BAD now! Thats right, Calvert county has a drug problem, and the sheriff is scared to admit that. How many youth will overdose in Southern Maryland on narcotics and prescription pain medication before something is done you have to ask yourself? How long before pain pills are replaced with meth, crack, pcp and heroin? Will the good sheriff have his men hanging out in tree stands with laser guns and shooting speeder picks on Rt. 4 with the super troopers? After all, you have to admit, writing a soccer mom on a traffic stop is much safer than approaching that cadillac on the side of a remote highway at night by yourself with 4 gangsters at the ready. Maybe you can just pretend to ignore it until it reaches critical mass and explodes. Keep attending concerts on the bay with good old wholesome family fun. Send your child to public school until dysfunctional low income expelled from other counties garbage comes in and teaches them how life really is. Ignore those "kids just hanging out" until they finally get the balls and beat/rob you senseless someday. Just wait till the metro comes in down there too. Its a matter of time before the Green line runs to Waldorf and maybe even LaPlata. What will happen when the blue line is extended to the upper marlboro court house, and into dunkirk? It might be awesome in the short run having your mcmansion built near the felony express, but as soon as the young thugs realize that there is a plethora of victims awaiting them, Dunkirk will become a PG/DC crime festival. You might think you can keep it out too, but liberals who you elected to power will tout the advantages of public mass transit and helping the "disadvantaged." Your community voices will be drowned out much like they were for the silver line that is going to soon infect Dulles and Ashburn.

The reality is, its everywhere. Sadly, theres places in PG like in Upper Marlboro that have less crime than parts of the white democrat liberal mecca of Calvert County. So face it, theres nowhere to run. Virginia is a good start. But drive through Manassas and observe the scum roaming around over there, or even in Alexandria. At least there, you have the right to defend yourself against it all. Parts of the rural south aren't bad either, if you have a good retirement and you can live like a king down there, for what you would live on up here.

sockgirl77

@ Building a wall. Just what portion of Southern Maryland do you live in? Perhaps its Lexington Park with the flat tops, low income housing and its on pit of crime and decay? Maybe its Chesapeake Ranch Estates, an area infested with gangs who are known for being brave enough to shoot at the houses of law enforcement? Nope, probably not those prime real estate areas. I am guessing its Waldorf. Over run and known for gang violence, low income thuggery, and general corruption, this portion of Southern Maryland is prime living! You can walk down a path and get shot in the head! Go for long walks on the rob and rape trail! If your feeling in the mood, take a stroll at the St. Charles Crime center, and go shopping next to citizens wearing ski masks inside of the mall. Southern Maryland was bad back in the day, even 10 years ago, when "Waldorf Crips" were white, Mechanicsville had "bloods" who were also white, and the youth would ride around committing armed robberies, assaults, drug sales and vandalism. These area's demographics changed, and now its "bad." Wake up, it was bad before. Its bad now. Calvert is BAD now! Thats right, Calvert county has a drug problem, and the sheriff is scared to admit that. How many youth will overdose in Southern Maryland on narcotics and prescription pain medication before something is done you have to ask yourself? How long before pain pills are replaced with meth, crack, pcp and heroin? Will the good sheriff have his men hanging out in tree stands with laser guns and shooting speeder picks on Rt. 4 with the super troopers? After all, you have to admit, writing a soccer mom on a traffic stop is much safer than approaching that cadillac on the side of a remote highway at night by yourself with 4 gangsters at the ready. Maybe you can just pretend to ignore it until it reaches critical mass and explodes. Keep attending concerts on the bay with good old wholesome family fun. Send your child to public school until dysfunctional low income expelled from other counties garbage comes in and teaches them how life really is. Ignore those "kids just hanging out" until they finally get the balls and beat/rob you senseless someday. Just wait till the metro comes in down there too. Its a matter of time before the Green line runs to Waldorf and maybe even LaPlata. What will happen when the blue line is extended to the upper marlboro court house, and into dunkirk? It might be awesome in the short run having your mcmansion built near the felony express, but as soon as the young thugs realize that there is a plethora of victims awaiting them, Dunkirk will become a PG/DC crime festival. You might think you can keep it out too, but liberals who you elected to power will tout the advantages of public mass transit and helping the "disadvantaged." Your community voices will be drowned out much like they were for the silver line that is going to soon infect Dulles and Ashburn.

The reality is, its everywhere. Sadly, theres places in PG like in Upper Marlboro that have less crime than parts of the white democrat liberal mecca of Calvert County. So face it, theres nowhere to run. Virginia is a good start. But drive through Manassas and observe the scum roaming around over there, or even in Alexandria. At least there, you have the right to defend yourself against it all. Parts of the rural south aren't bad either, if you have a good retirement and you can live like a king down there, for what you would live on up here.

@protectmd, The Flat Tops are gone and not all of Lexington Park is bad. Look at a ####ing map and take a look at the boundaries. Oh here, I'll save you time https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=lexington+park,+md&gbv=2&ie=UTF-8 :rolleyes:

wellcraft28

To protectmd

I agree with a lot of what you say, but the point of the post was that P.G. County must think that banning gun shows will impact their crime rate is just as crazy as putting up a wall around the county. I would love to see the trace reports linking crime guns to the show at the Showplace Arena. The hype about guns shows providing 40% of non-background check gun purchases isn't true. Every report or study say they “estimate” this is the number, it’s because they don't know. I believe that the 40% number originally came from a study done in the early 80's before the NCIS system was implemented.
As you state crime has many causal factors, the Maryland State Police Uniform Crime Report for 2011 lists eleven factors that influence the crime rate in Maryland. The shooting of the teen for his shoes (just crazy) this week in P.G. County is illustrative of some of those factors. The report can be found at Maryland State Police > DOWNLOADS. Noticeably absent from the factors identified by the MSP is the availability of guns. As for where we live, I know that we have our own share of crime in Calvert. However, I choose to live in Calvert County and here I will stay. I'm not ready to give up on the County or Maryland.