Horse Meat

mAlice

professional daydreamer
So, I've seen a few articles recently about horse meat showing up where it shouldn't, and I'm curious how people feel about eating horse meat.

Most horses, to my knowledge, are pets (at least, of sorts). I suspect the cost of disposing of a horse corpse is probably astronomical, so people end up sending them across the border to be used in pet food. People all over the world eat horse meat, with few exceptions.

What's your take?

I would like to interject my opinion that one of the most inhumane things PETA has ever done was force the closing of the U.S. horse slaughterhouses. As you pointed out the only remaining option is to transport them over the border for slaughter. At least when the slaughterhouses were in the U.S. there were enforceable reguluations on conditions and slaugther methods. Way to go PETA...:boo:

As for my opinion on eating horsemeat... I don't see how that should be viewed as any different than eatting cows or pigs. However, there should be truth in devulging what is being served and no substitution of one kind of flesh for another.

Last edited:

PJumper

So, I've seen a few articles recently about horse meat showing up where it shouldn't, and I'm curious how people feel about eating horse meat.

Most horses, to my knowledge, are pets (at least, of sorts). I suspect the cost of disposing of a horse corpse is probably astronomical, so people end up sending them across the border to be used in pet food. People all over the world eat horse meat, with few exceptions.

What's your take?

Horse meat actually taste good, kinda sweet in my opinion. Different people of different backgrounds will treat horse meat differently. People who cared for their horses as pets of course would be disgusted with the idea of eating horse meat, just like the Indians would be disgusted about eating cows they believed are their re-incarnated relatives. Other countries use horses as work animals and at the end on their serviceable life, would be consumed as food, maybe not by themselves but to others who buys the animal from them.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
To me, a horse is more like a farm animal than a pet...like a pig, chicken, or goat. At some point, it's going to be eaten, no matter how much little Jane liked it.

Kwilly, I agree. I think it would be better if the US disposed of it's own livestock.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I would like to interject my opinion that one of the most inhumane things PETA has ever done was force the closing of the U.S. horse slaughterhouses. As you pointed out the only remaining option is to transport them over the border for slaughter. At least when the slaughterhouses were in the U.S. there were enforceable reguluations on conditions and slaugther methods. Way to go PETA...:boo:

As for my opinion on eating horsemeat... I don't see how that should be viewed as any different than eatting cows or pigs. However, there should be truth in devulging what is being served and no substitution of one kind of flesh for another.

:yeahthat: Pretty much sums it up for me. Truth in labelling and I'm fine with it.

Some people have pet chickens, yet still eat chicken. I understand not wanting to eat your own horse, or even not wanting to eat it at all, but outright bans? Silly.

bcp

In My Opinion
I would not bet money that I have never eaten horse meat.
I will tell you that while in Mexico in the early 80s, I ate dog before I realized what it was.
at first I thought it was Goat and was good with it, tasted great, but, once I discovered what I was eating, it no longer tasted great.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I only eat ugly smelly animals. Horses are neither, so I don't want to eat one.

But, like veal or lamb, I have no problem with other people eating it.

Password

This is what happens when you trust the free market to "do the right thing". If we didn't have the food regulations that we do in the U.S., McD's would probably be passing off rat meat as beef burgers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is what happens when you trust the free market to "do the right thing". If we didn't have the food regulations that we do in the U.S., McD's would probably be passing off rat meat as beef burgers.

Well, no. In this day and age, word would get out quick and that would be the end of McDonald's.

It's not the 1800s anymore.

Well, no. In this day and age, word would get out quick and that would be the end of McDonald's.

It's not the 1800s anymore.

It wasn't that long ago the net was abuzz with word the Taco Bell ground beef tacos was only a certain percentage of meat.

Toxick

Splat

I'd have to taste it before I gave an opinion.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm assuming that a nice Pinot Noir and garlic mashed potatoes and fresh green beans would set it off nicely.

Maybe Shiraz.

PrepH4U

I agree but I totally do not put my faith into the USDA in regards to safe foodstuff. Most horses that were on someones farm are given wormer and pain meds which comes with a warning not to give to animals who will be used as food. :shrug: But on the same token look at what is given to cattle and we are allowed to eat them.
I remember my first grocery store adventure in Holland and discovering horse in the meat case! :faint:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd have to taste it before I gave an opinion.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm assuming that a nice Pinot Noir and garlic mashed potatoes and fresh green beans would set it off nicely.

Maybe Shiraz.

If you go with the Pinot *and* the Shiraz you won't care what the food tastes like.

I don't know that firsthand, I'm just guessing.

Toxick

Splat

Do not conflate Corporatism with Free Market.

In a true free market, nobody would eat that red-slime infused ####. They'd go to a butcher and watch their meat get cut off the animal from whence it came. And if a restaurant ever got caught passing off rat meat as beef, they would go out of business immediately.

And the restauranteurs' heads would be impaled on poles as a warning to others.