Why do military retirees collect retirement......

glhs837

Power with Control
Because of the sacrifices involved in being active duty military they they are not compensated for during the time they serve.

Because of the sacrifices involved in being active duty military they they are not compensated for during the time they serve.

Right and 20 years in the military is a long time as a civilian. Plus we don't need a bunch of 60 year olds in the armed services, so this is the payoff. And well worth it.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Immediately and everybody else has to wait until 65 to collect?

You are kidding - right? How many working civilian's can be ordered to another country in 24 hours? How many civilian's can risk their retirement for talking back to a superior? How many civilian's can be shipped across the US to another work location and can't decline? Considering this and other things (i.e., protecting YOU from enemies that want to kill us, etc.) I haven't mentioned - they should be able to retire early - period. I can't believe you even asked that question...

Misfit

Lawful neutral
You are kidding - right? How many working civilian's can be ordered to another country in 24 hours? How many civilian's can risk their retirement for talking back to a superior? How many civilian's can be shipped across the US to another work location and can't decline? Considering this and other things (i.e., protecting YOU from enemies that want to kill us, etc.) I haven't mentioned - they should be able to retire early - period. I can't believe you even asked that question...

Stand down sparky. I asked because I didn't know. Most of the civil service I know are retired military and aren't concerened about the upcoming furlough because their civil service job is their second career but others I know don't have that retirement to fall back on. Do police and fireman collect at 65 also?

Toxick

Splat

Sphincter sore today?

Stand down sparky. I asked because I didn't know. Most of the civil service I know are retired military and aren't concerened about the upcoming furlough because their civil service job is their second career but others I know don't have that retirement to fall back on. Do police and fireman collect at 65 also?

I don't think so, but it's not quite the same. They don't spend months out of country getting shot at, they get it right here. But at least they are home at night.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I don't think so, but it's not quite the same. They don't spend months out of country getting shot at, they get it right here. But at least they are home at night.

Just a friendly reminder, not all military members are in danger zones getting shot at. I wonder what percentage are actually in such zones and do they get extra pay? It seems to me that a soldier on the ground in Afghanistan should get more than the cook at the mess hall?

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!

Sorry - you hit a nerve. Everytime their is a budget cut - they go after retired military. I have watched military benefits get chipped away. Most of the politician's cutting military pay never served a day protecting our great country. I am sure someone will jump in shortly but Police and Fire employee's (both risk their lives as well) - I believe they do get a form of early retirement (at least they use to!).

Sphincter sore today?
Are you talking about my orifice?:killingme

Last edited:
Immediately and everybody else has to wait until 65 to collect?

Says who? I'm getting ready to retire and can collect my retirement bennies right away. If you're talking about Social Security, THAT doesn't kick in until 65. I can collect on my pension when I retire and turn 55.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Yeah - You seemed excessively irritable in your response, and I was wondering if perhaps a swollen and angry balloon-knot may have been responsible. I was going to suggest some Tucks for quick and soothing relief.

Yea, the topic is a hot button for me. It seems like everytime our politician's want to save money - they try to kill early retirements for our military.

Last edited:

chawk

While not the most eloquent reply, I understand your frustration. Many people do not understand the level of commitment required to serve 20 years in the military.

Some are correct in asserting that not everyone is put in harms way; however, members of the military are available for duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, everyone is subject to deployment at any time to meet the countrys requirements. That coupled with the constant PCSs, TDYs, field deployments, 16+ hour days (or more), multiple combat deployments, life in austere living conditions, and in some cases extremely hazardous jobs and duty assignements not to mention a challenged homelife, are some of the primary reasons that a 20 year retirement is offered to the military.

There are many law enforcement agencies that offer a 20 year pension too-for many of the same reasons that the military does.

CrashTest

I've asked here before why the family members don't get a pension too. My dad got to cruise the Med and visit cool places while my mom and sisters were back living in $hitholes in some foreign country (against our will) and like the vast mojority who serve, nobody ever shot a bullet at my dad in 31 years of service.

dan0623_2000

I've asked here before why the family members don't get a pension too. My dad got to cruise the Med and visit cool places while my mom and sisters were back living in $hitholes in some foreign country (against our will) and like the vast mojority who serve, nobody ever shot a bullet at my dad in 31 years of service.[/QUOT

Where was your dad's ship home ported when he was cruising the cool ports in the Med and you were living in a foreign country?

oldman

Lobster Land
I retired in 1982 as an E-6 which at the time provided me with roughly about
$4,000 (take home) a year. That equated to me having to find a second job or not have much of a life. Military retirement does not necessarily mean what some may believe.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I retired in 1982 as an E-6 which at the time provided me with roughly about
$4,000 (take home) a year. That equated to me having to find a second job or not have much of a life. Military retirement does not necessarily mean what some may believe.

Of course not, but it's a nice additional income during your actual retirement coupled with social security and perhaps a 401k from your second career, which likely came easy to you having gained skills in the military and corporations getting write offs for hiring veterans. I assume you still also had the benefits of shopping on base and health care?