Sequestration. Do you think it should happen?

Sequestration?

• Yes! we need to cut federal spending

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • No! it will affect the economy

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • No! I need to keep my job

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I'm just here for the popcorn, or I have no opinion on the subject

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are a thousand things they could cut spending on. Is anyone getting their welfare check cut? Any illegals getting their bennies cut? Any cuts at all on entitlement spending?

Government employees at least put money back into the system. Why cut them?

bcp

In My Opinion
There are a thousand things they could cut spending on. Is anyone getting their welfare check cut? Any illegals getting their bennies cut? Any cuts at all on entitlement spending?

There are some agencies that could use serious cutting, I for one do not agree that the cuts should come from military, out of all the constitutional requirements of the Federal government, Military is one. FDA could use a bit of trimming, along with the federal education, homeland security could be totally cut and replaced with either national guard or military from closed bases around the world. Does the CIA and FBI need to be a big as they really are? no. Do we need someone to regulate business or should business be able to compete on their own merits.
but, in the end, teachers will be cut, police will be cut, military will be cut, and the entitlement crowd will get a raise right along with the minimum wage earners.

tommyjo

For God's sake...you really are brain dead.

You want to imply that welfare recipients hoarde their checks??? What do they do, put the money into their collective offshore investment account in the Cayman islands where their speculation drives up the price of oil?

"Bennies to illegals" somehow are paid outside of scope of the US economy? Which benes are you refering to that don't go "back into the system"?

Under the sequester Medicare and Medicaid are being cut. If you would actually read on the topic, you would know the answer to your question.

Pete

Repete

You want to imply that welfare recipients hoarde their checks??? What do they do, put the money into their collective offshore investment account in the Cayman islands where their speculation drives up the price of oil?

"Bennies to illegals" somehow are paid outside of scope of the US economy? Which benes are you refering to that don't go "back into the system"?

Under the sequester Medicare and Medicaid are being cut. If you would actually read on the topic, you would know the answer to your question.

What are the federal and state income tax rates for TANF, SSDI, Food Stamps, and heating assistance? Is food purchased with food stamps exempt from sales tax? I wonder how much in charitable contributions they make. I wonder how many own own their own homes and pay property taxes.? I suppose if they buy smokes they pay cigarette taxes and if they buy gas they pay some taxes. I wonder how that compares to a working persons consumption?

All interesting questions. I will await your response.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa

You are correct taxes from lottery, cigarettes and, liquor do technically go back to the community. So does the extra cash from their under the table work, or their undocumented pharmaceutical careers.

Vince

Stop paying Congress. That will save a few billion. If I failed to do my job, they'd stop paying me, but then, according to Pelosi they shouldn't get a pay cut, "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded." What a crock of crap. :doh:

Read more: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job - The Hill
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebookthey deserve to get paid for the dignity of the job.

I wonder how her associates in Congress feel everytime she speaks? :confused: Is it "oh no, Nancy is going to say something stupid again?"

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Yes, but not as the choice given. It's just a drop in the bucket overall.

We need to have a sequestration to wake up America.

Right now the majority of Americans are saying blah blah blah it doesn't effect me, that is IF they are even hearing about sequestration.

Sequestration needs to happen to fire up middle America and get the average hardworking people to become involved with their congressional representatives.

Won't nothing change if they just keep kicking the can down the road with a CR. If anything, things will get worse, much worse, with a CR.

Am I upset about it? Yes. Will I be effected by it? Oh yes. But should it happen? Yes.

There was a recent death in my extended family....won't you come home? You should come for a visit...guilt trips abound. But I can't go home, I have to work. This is a bad time to be taking off. I need my job. Sequestration is coming up...what's that and why should that worry you? :ohwell: Why don't they know about it? Because it's not reported on and the authority of the area does not think it will impact them locally. :ohwell: However, with me both knowing what will happen with a sequestration, knowing the economy of that area and who the major companies are, oh yes it will.

But again until sequestration actually happens, there will be no reaction from the American public, no pressure on Congress to get things done.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole

Right now the majority of Americans are saying blah blah blah it doesn't effect me, that is IF they are even hearing about sequestration.

Sequestration needs to happen to fire up middle America and get the average hardworking people to become involved with their congressional representatives.

Won't nothing change if they just keep kicking the can down the road with a CR. If anything, things will get worse, much worse, with a CR.

Am I upset about it? Yes. Will I be effected by it? Oh yes. But should it happen? Yes.

There was a recent death in my extended family....won't you come home? You should come for a visit...guilt trips abound. But I can't go home, I have to work. This is a bad time to be taking off. I need my job. Sequestration is coming up...what's that and why should that worry you? :ohwell: Why don't they know about it? Because it's not reported on and the authority of the area does not think it will impact them locally. :ohwell: However, with me both knowing what will happen with a sequestration, knowing the economy of that area and who the major companies are, oh yes it will.

But again until sequestration actually happens, there will be no reaction from the American public, no pressure on Congress to get things done.

I agree with you, but do you really think the sheep in the US would even wake up because of sequestration? I dont think they will. People will bury their heads in the sand, listen to all the spin that the news and congress will put out and say "it will be better tomorrow."

Yes, I will be affected to if it happens. My wife is a gubberment employee and I work a commision based job so any blow to the economy would suck for my paycheck to.

We can dream and hope the voters will wake up, but in my mind, they never will.

awpitt

Main Streeter
What are the federal and state income tax rates for TANF, SSDI, Food Stamps, and heating assistance? Is food purchased with food stamps exempt from sales tax? I wonder how much in charitable contributions they make. I wonder how many own own their own homes and pay property taxes.? I suppose if they buy smokes they pay cigarette taxes and if they buy gas they pay some taxes. I wonder how that compares to a working persons consumption?

All interesting questions. I will await your response.

Just a note, in MD, no one pays sales tax on groceries.

Pete

Repete

You are wrong.

We do not need sequestration to happen. We need some ####ing adults in congress to step in front of those jackass leaders Reid, Pelosi, Boehner and McConnell and take charge of the issue and negotiate in good faith for the betterment of the country. Pass meaningful measures that force the White House to #### or get off the pot. Obama will do NOTHING because he 1. Is a narcissistic prick who wants his way. 2. He has the Senate to #### block for him. 3. He is so for over his head he doesn't know what to do.

When I say betterment of the country I do not mean draconian cuts to anything, it needs to be walked back. You cannot spend 60 years steadily inching to the point we are now only to hack things 60% causing widespread pain and suffering, economic upheaval and devastating the economy. They need to make some measured, bold plans with decreasing caps and lower things through attrition and well through out policy changes not like that abomination of Obamacare that was just rammed through and flung against the wall.

We need a ####ing budget. We need reasonable tax increases coupled directly to well thought out and reasonable cuts to programs and I am not talking about the artificial cuts they tout which translate to not an actual cut but a retarded degree of growth. We need to stop going out at the state of the union and introcuding new spending programs, we need to stop thinking that government is the mechanism to curb every ill, fix every wrong and smooth every rough spot. We need serious reform in virtually every facet of governmental operations. Will we hit the debt limit, yes. Should we raise it again, yes until the deficit starts to withdraw.

Let us not forget there are 2 and in cases 3 more levels of government with the ability to tax and step in and fund initiatives. Each state, county and town is able to raise revenue via taxes to apply to social programs they deem critical to make up for the gap in federal funds. This is how the founders wanted it for piss sakes! There are some functions of government reserved for the federal government which state and local governments cannot take over, namely defense and affairs of the state. Preserving those should be the main focus of the federal government.

If we take away from the federal government and federal budget some of these feel good programs better executed, managed and sustained on the local level we will kill 2 birds with one stone. 1. We will take the cost burden off the federal budget as well as the national tax payers. 2. It puts responsibility and accountability back at the local level where the voters will can be exercised.

On a side note, you should take that trip home. If sequastration hits it wont matter if you have great attendance or not. They will curtail working hours first, then restrict budgets, then eliminate. You will likely be unemployed anyway.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us

Big whoop. Medicare and Medicaid costs were reduced as a result of Obamacare, supposedly by 15%, so if you cut ~10% due to sequestration they still have extra money. They should have 10% cut from their necessary bottom line if you want to compare apples to apples. Instead, you're comparing apples to...diapers.

Link explaining why you suck

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Yep, sequester should happen. The current occupant of the WH proposed it and signed on board. Both houses passed it. Let it happen. The hysteria and scare tactics coming from the left and their lapdog media should place a spotlight on who really wants it to happen - themselves.

The left is making no attempt whatsoever to even try and slow the problem, much less make a real effort to correct it.

SS needs to be involved, as well as welfare entitlements, money to countries that hate us, and cutting off freebies for illegals.

I'm a CSRS retiree. If we take a hit as well, so be it. We are not sacrosanct, as no other program should be, either.

Last edited:

sockgirl77

Attachments

• tampon.jpg
    tampon.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 108

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

wake up who ? :shrug: the 43% subsidized Americans

they will not stop getting Welfare .....

MarieB

I was reading an interesting article today about how the President's current pet projects are unlikely to materialize if sequestration does happen.

Immigration reform
National preschool program
Gun control