"A Killing Machine": Half of All Mass Shooters Use

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original source.

"As lawmakers across the country and in the nation's capital debate possible restrictions on high-capacity magazines, one question emerges: Are these ammunition-feeding devices, which allow a shooter to fire many times without reloading, in fact commonly used by mass killers?

We examined the data from Mother Jones' continuing investigation into mass shootings and found that high-capacity magazines have been used in at least 31 of the 62 cases we analyzed. A half-dozen of these crimes occurred in the last two years alone. (With some of the cases we studied, it remains unclear whether high-capacity magazines were used.

We included all those involving magazines with more than 10 rounds; in many of the cases their capacities were far greater. For more details, jump to our data set below.)

In the shooting that injured Rep. Gabby Giffords in Tucson, Arizona, Jared Loughner emptied a 33-round magazine in 30 seconds, killing 6 and injuring 13. Inside a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, James Holmes used 40- and 100-round magazines to injure and kill an unprecedented 70 victims. At Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, Adam Lanza used high-capacity magazines to fire upwards of 150 bullets as he slaughtered 20 kids and 6 adults.

"It turns a killer into a killing machine," says David Chipman, who served for 25 years as a special agent in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. Outlawing high-capacity magazines won't prevent gun crimes from happening, Chipman notes, but might well reduce the carnage: "Maybe 3 kids get killed instead of 20." "

"Gun rights advocates argue that larger magazines, which can add convenience for gun owners who enjoy sport shooting, are simply "standard" for semiautomatic handguns and rifles. The debate turns semantic quickly, in the same contentious vein as the one over the definition of "assault weapon." Law enforcement officials, meanwhile, tend to agree that no law-abiding citizen needs high-capacity magazines for self-defense.

Gun rights advocates also commonly argue that mass shooters could kill just as easily by rapidly reloading smaller magazines, and that a ban would make no difference. But such capability requires extensive training under intense conditions, according to Chipman. "Anyone who's been a cop or in the military knows that that's not something you can do unpracticed," he says.

The Tucson mass shooting is telling here in another regard: It was only after Loughner had emptied his 33-round magazine and paused to reload that bystanders were able to tackle him and end the carnage. "

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wow, Mother Jones. No agenda there. If I picked and chose the data that fits my agenda the way they do, I could prove that more people are killed by wedding cake than heart attacks. Junk science is worse than no science. Keep showing us just how stupid you libs are, Boy.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Killing machine:

Attachments

• carcrash.jpg
    carcrash.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 86

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What percentage of all extended magazines and 'assault rifles' have been used in a crime?

Why should rhe police still be allowed to use them? Kind of flies in the face of the purpose of the 2nd Amendment doesn't it?

How many assault weapons are in private arms today, and how manybhave been used in crimes? <than 1%? How can that be the basis for making something illegal?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
In the shooting that injured Rep. Gabby Giffords in Tucson, Arizona, Jared Loughner emptied a 33-round magazine in 30 seconds, killing 6 and injuring 13. Inside a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, James Holmes used 40- and 100-round magazines to injure and kill an unprecedented 70 victims. At Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, Adam Lanza used high-capacity magazines to fire upwards of 150 bullets as he slaughtered 20 kids and 6 adults.

"It turns a killer into a killing machine," says David Chipman, who served for 25 years as a special agent in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. Outlawing high-capacity magazines won't prevent gun crimes from happening, Chipman notes, but might well reduce the carnage: "Maybe 3 kids get killed instead of 20." "
"

The next mass murder, along with the last, is blood, more blood, on the hands of the left and ANYONE who is masturbating over this inane debate about magazine capacity and it is your fault because because you refuse to deal with the two things that could help; good guys with guns AND coming to grips, honestly, with our mental health problems.

If magazine capacity and guns, tools, had ANYTHING to do with this, we'd all be dead because of the shear volume of weapons and ammo and clips and mags and this and that and the other in this nation, a nation with a constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms; NOT the right to be insane and protected by the government. Not the right to mass murder unhindered by good guys with guns.

This debate is about evil, pure and simple and the left in this nation is going after good people to protect evil. It is sickening to debate how many dead kids is acceptable based on this specious argument about capacity. Mass murderers PLAN. That means it could have been 21 0r 19 dead kids, not the 3 this ####ing moron wants to fantasize would be the number were we to simply add yet another law.

You on the left are responsible for these deaths and that they will go on because you refuse, REFUSE to lift even a finger to protect kids, or the public, with the ONLY two rational things that could help; good guys with guns and focusing on behavior. Not tools.

It is said that for evil to triumph good men merely need do nothing. Good men and women are trying to resist, trying to fight back against this evil, this tyranny. Left out of the quote is the actions of those who would do evil. What are you about? Really?

There is no worse evil than to argue for protecting a child by wasting action and resources to avoid doing just that.

This is EVIL.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Link to original source.

Gun rights advocates also commonly argue that mass shooters could kill just as easily by rapidly reloading smaller magazines, and that a ban would make no difference. But such capability requires extensive training under intense conditions, according to Chipman. "Anyone who's been a cop or in the military knows that that's not something you can do unpracticed," he says.

"

Am I reading this wrong? When I was in boot camp, we had 3 magazines for our m-16 with 10 rounds in each one. I could empty a magazine, drop the magazine, load the second one, empty it and rinse and repeat with the 3rd mag in under 30 seconds with almost no training.

direxpgw

guns

Outlawing magazines is impossible. If you think there are alot of guns out there now, you should see how many magazines are in circulation currently. Millions upon millions. So lets make the assumption that they are made illegal tomorrow. And I am intent on committing a mass murder. Lets see ...i wonder how hard it will be for me to get my hands on some 30 rd mags. Drugs are currently illegal. If I chose to do some tomorrow, I wonder how long it will take me to acquire them.

I dont know what is so hard to comprehend about the FACT that someone intent on mass murder (allready highly illegal in most jurisdictions Im pretty sure), will somehow not be deterred by any law or penalty for any lesser offence. Lets get real here people. I wanna kill a hundred people and then put a gun in my mouth and you honestly believe I will in any fashion be deterred by any law about what weapon to use. I will get it. I will use it. The only law that MAY concern me might be the one that allows the citizenry to shoot back any and everywhere I may go. Period.

Just like drugs, magazines are out there and out there in ridiculous quantities. You will NEVER get rid of them. They are a box with springs in them for GODs sake. Heres a novel idea...Allow your citizens to carry concealed wherever they want and take violent offenders and either lock them up indefinitely or execute them. Hard for a dead guy to reoffend.

NextJen

Raisin cane
When the Boston Strangler was killing women in the '60's, I don't remember anyone calling for the ban of nylon stockings, or making women register them when they were purchased.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Am I reading this wrong? When I was in boot camp, we had 3 magazines for our m-16 with 10 rounds in each one. I could empty a magazine, drop the magazine, load the second one, empty it and rinse and repeat with the 3rd mag in under 30 seconds with almost no training.

Are you really trying to apply logic to this debate? Why do you hate children? Why do you want them to be killed? It's all for the children! Save the children! Ban big magazines, because we all know that killing 20 kids in 30 seconds is better than killing 20 kinds in 10 seconds.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Are you really trying to apply logic to this debate? Why do you hate children? Why do you want them to be killed? It's all for the children! Save the children! Ban big magazines, because we all know that killing 20 kids in 30 seconds is better than killing 20 kinds in 10 seconds.

:banghead: What the hell was I thinking?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Outlawing magazines is impossible. If you think there are alot of guns out there now, you should see how many magazines are in circulation currently. Millions upon millions.

it would be easier to set up a manufacturing concern for new mags, than Meth ....

what is the Gov. going to do, limit sheet metal purchases

abcxyz

Outlawing high-capacity magazines won't prevent gun crimes from happening, Chipman notes, but might well reduce the carnage: "Maybe 3 kids get killed instead of 20." "

Maybe if those chose to be armed were in fact armed, maybe 0 kids get killed instead of 3!!

3 is better than 20 but the same logic shows that 0 is better than 3.