Celebrities should keep their mouths shut

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I believe that entertainers, both liberals and conservatives, embarrass themselves when they try to discuss political and social issues. That goes for righties like Charlton Heston and John Wayne as well as for lefties like Susan Sarandon and Barbra Striesand.

Whether you agree or disagree with their opinions is not the point. Either they seem convinced that the world will listen to anything they have to say, or they are insecure about being "mere" entertainers. I say, they should realize that their gifts lie in entertaining, not in debating, and they should stick to what they're good at.

I loved both Heston in Planet of the Apes and Robbins in the Shawshank Redemption, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to them spout off about their pet political causes.

Warron

Actually, the world does listen. If not, noone would have recorded what they said and you would not have listened to or read what they said.

Sparx

Originally posted by Warron
Actually, the world does listen. If not, noone would have recorded what they said and you would not have listened to or read what they said.

This is so true. Why should anyone not be given the right to free speach? It's not their fault more people listen to them than others even if it is because of their celebrity and exposure.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Sparx
This is so true. Why should anyone not be given the right to free speach? It's not their fault more people listen to them than others even if it is because of their celebrity and exposure.

That's exactly my point. People listen to them because they're ***STARS***. When we listen to them, we reward idiocy.

Sparx

Originally posted by Tonio
That's exactly my point. People listen to them because they're ***STARS***. When we listen to them, we reward idiocy.

It's only idiocy if you disagree with what they're saying...right?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
It's only idiocy if you disagree with what they're saying...right?

Not in my case, if you read the start of this thread. While I don't claim to be free of bias on any issue, I believe the celebrities embarrass their causes because many seem to not know how to put three words together without a script.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tonio, dude...

...I couldn't DIS-agree more.

I don't think there is ANYTHING better than Hollywood stars running their yaps. Every time Babs posts another rant another fan of hers goes...'WTF are you talking about???"

I LOVE free speech.

I LOVE the DU and moveon. I love sparks and jlab and dems4 and everybody who has an opinion to speak their mind.

I love it when a David Duke speaks up and the GOP throughs his ass out the door.

I love it when Trent Lott shows what his mindset is and we can have him removed from a job he is not worthy of.

I love it when a Robert Byrd or Al Sharpton opens their brilliant minds and mouths and we can see who embraces them.

Hell, give me a Sunday show; Babs and Teddy K discuss the issues of the day!

Air America is falling like a stone because THEY HAVE freedom of speech. People hear it and make their choices.

Brad Pitt is a hero because somebody asked him a political question about Tibet or something some time ago and he said, paraphrasing, "Why ask me? I'm just an actor?"

Aks Susan Sarrandon; she'll act like Secretary of I Know EVERYTHING!

I LOVE it when she gets rolling! Her hubby is way more entertaining at Senate hearings than on film.

Go baby go!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Tonio, dude...

Larry, you're right that there is some entertainment value in seeing ignorant stars of all political persuasions run their mouths.

I look at it like the equivalent of a guy leaving the restroom with his fly open. People laugh at him, and he's clueless as to why he's the butt of jokes. If someone tells him later, "Hey dude, it was so funny when you had your fly open," he's likely to say, "Well, thanks for letting me look like a 'tard in front of everyone." That's what the stars are doing--they seem to have no clue that the rest of us are laughing at them. Their egos prevent them from realizing how they embarrass themselves.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, US celebrities are Americans and, therefore, have the right to speak their mind. When they REALLY sound stupid is when they complain about having to suffer the consequences of their actions. I don't watch movies or TV shows with vocal lefties in them. I refuse to give them my money so they can jetset around the world and criticize America. For some reason, many of them think of that as censorship.

Michael Moore made a comment about one of his fake "documentaries", that he'd like to see a law passed that made it required viewing for all Americans.

I think that pretty much sums up their attitude.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Well, US celebrities are Americans and, therefore, have the right to speak their mind.

I wasn't saying they should be prevented from speaking their mind. I was saying that they should decide on their own to clam up, because they look like fools. I was offering them advice.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tonio
I wasn't saying they should be prevented from speaking their mind. I was saying that they should decide on their own to clam up, because they look like fools. I was offering them advice.
But, see, they don't think they're fools. They think the REST of America are the fools. Serious - troll the DU sometime. They're convinced they're the only smart ones and the majority who support Bush and the war are a bunch of morons. They even go as far as to say that Americans need to be "re-educated" so they'll think correctly.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
But, see, they don't think they're fools. They think the REST of America are the fools. Serious - troll the DU sometime. They're convinced they're the only smart ones and the majority who support Bush and the war are a bunch of morons. They even go as far as to say that Americans need to be "re-educated" so they'll think correctly.

I was talking about conservative stars as well as liberal stars. Ted Nugent sounds just as ignorant as Michael Moore. And John Wayne's political album in the '60s was the butt of jokes.

"Friends don't let friends be self-righteous about their beliefs."

Sparx

There's a classic example of the pot calling the kettle black

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child

Uh oh, flame warriors attack! If you don't mind, I'll just pull up a lawn chair and drink some lemonade while you guys tear each other apart. :lol:

SamSpade

In a word - no. Conservatives don't believe they hold ideas that need to be adopted or explained to the nation. They believe - and usually can be proven - they hold ideas that most of the nation or a large portion already believe.

They also believe in the freedom of ideas - that if the majority of the nation believes something outrageous and ridiculous, then that is how it will be. That's life in a democracy.

That kind of thinking enrages liberals. They like to think they speak for the average voter, but when it's obvious they don't, they either cry "foul" or mention that the voters themselves are idiots, classically described when Mo Udall was voted out of office "the people have spoken - the bastards!".

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'

I dunno... I think most conservatives are willing to admit that there is intelligence on both sides of the aisle, although it is in shorter supply on the right side.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SamSpade
That kind of thinking enrages liberals. They like to think they speak for the average voter, but when it's obvious they don't, they either cry "foul" or mention that the voters themselves are idiots, classically described when Mo Udall was voted out of office "the people have spoken - the bastards!".

I see something similar among religious conservatives. The idea that only they are going to Heaven and everyone else is going to Hell. They, out of the goodness of their hearts (yeah, right), will save the ignorant heathen masses from their own sinful, lustful desires.

Sparx

So this explains how the majority of voters voted for Gore but bush is president?

Pete

Repete

So this explains how the majority of voters voted for Gore but bush is president?
Kinda sux for you don't it :killingme