U.S. troop toll in Afghanistan falls.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"For the past month, the U.S. military has experienced something not seen for five years in Afghanistan: No combat deaths.

Three U.S. troops have died from hostile fire injuries since Jan. 1, and one of them succumbed to wounds sustained in December.

The trend marks the longest period without a U.S. combat death in America's longest war since 2008, and clearly reflects a strategy shift that leaves much of the fighting to Afghan security forces, whose deaths are going up.

Afghans now lead more than 80% of combat operations and control areas covering more than three-quarters of the population, according to U.S. military officials.

The U.S. military has pulled back from direct combat operations into the less dangerous role of advising and assisting Afghan forces.

American military officials said a cut in the number of American forces is another reason for the decline.

There were about 100,000 forces in Afghanistan during the peak of the military's troop surge. But that number fell by almost 40 percent when the last of those troops left in September and remains at about that level today.

Attacks by Taliban insurgents also have declined, officials have said.

Just as the U.S. toll has dropped, Afghan security force deaths have risen sharply.

"The Taliban are targeting the Afghan Army and police to try and show the populous the Afghan Security Forces cannot adequately protect them," said Col. David Lapan, spokesman for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff."

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So since Obama has taken office the amount of US casualties doubled.. but the peaceniks re-elected him anyways..

What does this do to his average?

His average monthly casualty toll in Afghanistan still higher than Bush's?

It's hard to tell these days with the MSM refusing to report on it daily like they did when Bush was in office.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hmmm. Stop fighting. Combat deaths go down.

Some real wizards write the crap that boy posts.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Why do we only hear about the one good month, but the multitide of crappy months goes practically unreported?

Inkd

Fighting always slows down in the winter, especially up north.

Yeah, go figure, when you are not in a direct combat role, casualties drop. GENIUS!!!!!

Wait till May and June rolls around, then you won't hear anything about casualties being on the rise again because it won't make the ONE look good.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
When will the casualty toll in the boys mom's basement reach one? Then something will have been accomplished.

Inkd

Afghan teenager fatally stabs U.S. soldier

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — An Afghan teenager fatally stabbed an American soldier in the neck as he played with children in eastern Afghanistan, officials said Monday, as the U.S. death toll rose sharply last month with an uptick in fighting due to warmer weather.

Last week's calculated attack shows that international troops still face a myriad of dangers even though they are increasingly taking a back seat in operations with Afghan forces ahead of a full withdrawal by the end of 2014.

Just one U.S. service member was killed in February — a five-year monthly low — but the American death toll climbed to at least 14 last month.

BigBlue

So since Obama has taken office the amount of US casualties doubled.. but the peaceniks re-elected him anyways..

What does this do to his average?

You are right to me his problem was listening to the military leaders who wanted to stay and fight and told him we can't leave ,hat might have something to do with it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You are right to me his problem was listening to the military leaders who wanted to stay and fight and told him we can't leave ,hat might have something to do with it.

Or better yet, ole Barry criticized the heck out of George Bush for leaving the Afghan fight to NATO, and had to put up or shut up after he was elected. So he decided to go all in.

:coffee:

RPMDAD

With absolutely no strategy for an end game or a mission project plan in place in place one death was too many for me, we are not the worlds police force. Our military is the best in the world when it comes to going in and kicking A$$, and terminating their mission, when their hands aren't tied behind their backs.

Coalition Military Fatalities By Year
Year US UK Other Total
2001 12 0 0 12
2002 49 3 18 70
2003 48 0 10 58
2004 52 1 7 60
2005 99 1 31 131
2006 98 39 54 191
2007 117 42 73 232
2008 155 51 89 295
2009 317 108 96 521
2010 499 103 109 711
2011 418 46 102 566
2012 310 44 48 402
2013 19 3 3 25
Total 2193 441 640 3274

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Some spin, "combat deaths", so a stabbing doesn't count, an IED doesn't count, two green on blue types don't count, but there is still Chief Pike, his death was just listed as hostile-hostile fire, I guess it doesn't count because the special warfare guys are on classified ops and the administration doesn't talk about them unless they can directly garner political gain from the event.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

He's the President.. everything else he does what he wants erego he wants to be in Afghanistan. Republicans can't take the blame for thisbone after almost 5 years..

RPMDAD

He's the President.. everything else he does what he wants erego he wants to be in Afghanistan. Republicans can't take the blame for thisbone after almost 5 years..

And to add itsbob, this is for biblues benefit, not yours, i am sure you understand this, comprehension is not her friend. bigblue obama is the CINC, what he says goes, it doesn't really matter what the Generals opinions are, he is their BOSS, they are suppose to listen to him and he is probably still trying to think up a plan between vacations.

BigBlue

And to add itsbob, this is for biblues benefit, not yours, i am sure you understand this, comprehension is not her friend. bigblue obama is the CINC, what he says goes, it doesn't really matter what the Generals opinions are, he is their BOSS, they are suppose to listen to him and he is probably still trying to think up a plan between vacations.

Now you're just not making sense, see to fine upstanding moral people like yourself he's damn if he does and damn if he doesn't.